User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maiden Voyage - the good and a couple of minor frustrations

We returned last night from our first weekend trip. Everything went off without a problem and have the following comments:

1. Pigeon River Campground in Hartford, TN is easy to get in and out of...the facilities are nice and clean...everyone is friendly and helpful....even caught a few fish on Saturday and Sunday morning.
    2. The truck and fifth-wheel combo pulled easily up the mountain into Black Mountain, through Asheville, and through the gorge. I was very pleased with how it rode/pulled once we got it loaded up with all of the gear.
    3. I averaged 10.2 MPG for the entirety of the 550 mile trip.
    4. The rear camera (Furrion) does not stay linked and loses connection often. I will look into this as it may be operator error.
    5. The TPMS system EEZTire T515) would not say linked either. This was disappointing as it continued to sync and then lose the connection between the trailer tires during the trip. I did not purchase the repeater as many reviews said I wouldn’t need it. I will have to look into this as well.
    6. The Loadlifter airbags were a pleasant surprise. I had 50lbs of pressure in each side and it made a huge difference in the feel of the camper even from pulling it home unloaded prior to installing it. I feel like the money spent on them might have been the best money we spent so far.
    7. We love the inside of the camper...has the perfect amount of room.
    8. The refrigerator stayed cool and we had no problems.
    9. Had to remember how to light the stove and oven but that was only a couple of minutes of frustration.
    10. Setting up the camper at the site was a breeze. No issues hooking back up either.
    11. The griddle (Blackstone 17-inch) and grill (Cuisinart CGG-306) we bought on Amazon were both great! Breakfast and supper both pulled together easily...I am a huge fan of the griddle!!! We also purchased two of the Cuisinart (CFGS-222) collapsible grill stands and they are perfect for setting up and cooking.
    12. It was 92 degrees both Saturday and Sunday and the air conditioners kept it nice and cool inside.
    13. The mattress topper made the bed much more comfortable and was a huge help.
    14. I need to do some research on the trailer brakes. I had them set on 9.0 of 10.0 on the onboard (factory) gauge and that didn’t seem to be enough. Certainly we are pulling heavy trailers but I have pulled heavy trailers up and down the coast (not fifth wheels) and they didn’t seem to be as helpful as I remembered them being...again, need to do some more research on this. Don’t know if they are self-adjusting or not...may just need to be adjusted?

I did a good bit of research on this forum on what we needed prior to the trip and there wasn’t anything we needed that we didn’t have. Thanks to all who post on this site for the info!! We are looking forward to our next outing already...trip #1 was a huge success!!
    Steve and Jeneen (and Xyro our German Shepherd)
    2021 Solitude 390RK-R
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited 4WD Crew Cab Dually
    HO Cummins and Ansin trans, factory auto-level suspension, factory 30k fifth wheel hitch
    Favorite vehicle in the garage - Kubota RTV1100 :cool:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the successful maiden voyage. No major disasters are a good omen for the future.

You'll find a lot of discussion on brakes. I'll just say that I didn't have a problem with the grease seals, but I put disk brakes on it anyway. Best money I've spent on the RV.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look on your axle label for whether it is a Lippert or Dexter axle (and thus brakes). My understanding is that the Dexters are self-adjusting.

That said, I'm another one who is putting on disks (as I type...) Hopefully finish Wednesday night.
    -Al
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For your problem with your Furrion backup monitor:
    Which model did you get?
    The FOS48TAPK-BL is a rear observation and a backup system. It can be used while moving and is recommended for rigs over 25'.
    The FRC12TAPK-BL is for backing up only and shorter rigs. It will lose signal when running down the road.
    Had this problem with my 38' SOB and the FOS48TAPK-BL solved the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had to purchase a repeater for the EEZTire monitor. Mine was doing the same. Installed repeater in front compartment and stays linked up. Did install a switch so I can turn off when not using. https://eezrvproduct.com/products/tp...-big-rigs-1-ea
    Good luck
    Tom and Sandi
    2017 337RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    Congratulations on the successful maiden voyage. No major disasters are a good omen for the future.

You'll find a lot of discussion on brakes. I'll just say that I didn't have a problem with the grease seals, but I put disk brakes on it anyway. Best money I've spent on the RV.
    Thank you! I got some info from another forum member through a PM and will look further into the disc brakes this weekend.
    2021 Solitude 390RK-R
    HO Cummins and Ansin trans, factory auto-level suspension, factory 30k fifth wheel hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by st2rv View Post
    Had to purchase a repeater for the EEZTire monitor. Mine was doing the same. Installed repeater in front compartment and stays linked up. Did install a switch so I can turn off when not using. https://eezrvproduct.com/products/tp...-big-rigs-1-ea
    Good luck
    Thank you! I will order one this weekend.
    2021 Solitude 390RK-R

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BocaShuffles View Post
    For your problem with your Furrion backup monitor:
    Which model did you get?
    The FOS48TAPK-BL is a rear observation and a backup system. It can be used while moving and is recommended for rigs over 25'.
    The FRC12TAPK-BL is for backing up only and shorter rigs. It will lose signal when running down the road.
    Had this problem with my 38' SOB and the FOS48TAPK-BL solved the problem.
    I will check on this over the weekend to confirm which one we got. I was told the Furrion 2 but cannot confirm which of the two models you referenced until I get the box back out. I did notice that even when backing up the driveway when we got home Sunday the signal was lost. Thankfully, I have a helpful wife that doesn’t want to see me clip a tree on a narrow driveway so we got it parked without incident..
    2021 Solitude 390RK-R