User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbaber View Post
    Last May 27th had one of the China Bombs, Westlake, tires that GD puts on Solitude come apart and do 1260.00 in damage. Of course, Westlake and GD will not cover any of the expenses so I am stuck paying the bill. Anyway, today I exchanged the China bombs for Goodyear Endurance same size. Over 2000.00 in one day on something that should not have happened in the first place if GD would step up and start using Goodyear tires. Next RV will be Jayco who are no long putting China bombs on there RV but Goodyear. As the saying goes, not if these China bombs fail but when. Anyone know of a class action suit on these China bombs?
    As has been shared many times on the forum over the years, the current generation (last 6 or so years) Westlake tires failure rate is very low. I talked about this with the GDRV Customer Service Center Manager, JD Adams last week when I was at the Service Center and he shared extremely low actual statistics as Rob alluded to. There is no class action litigation in the works that I am aware of and if brought will be unsubstantiated based on the extremely low failure rate.

My neighbor bought a new Jayco 2 years ago and blew one of his factory installed Goodyear Marathons (manufactured overseas as well) the first season traveling back from Tucson where they winter. He had the typical couple thousands dollars damage to his Jayco and could not even get anyone at Jayco to call him back. As I recall, it seems Goodyear did not help either.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is too early to determine fail rate of the new Goodyear tires made in USA; could be worst than Westlake. The best way to protect yourself from camper damage is with a good TPMS. If you can detect damage quickly you reduce chances of damage to your camper. Even if you install the new Goodyear USA made tires I would also install a good TPMS; you get what you pay for. I went cheap route first on TPMS and had sensor fail on first trip but was able to return to Amazon for refund. Using TireTraker TT-500 system now and it works well without booster and has lifetime warranty unlike many other systems on the market.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have good TPMS and when I left RV park all tires were 80 PSI both on TPMS and check with tire gauge and I drive about 65MPH.

From many posts here on this and other forums many people are just replacing their China tires, regardless which brand, with better tires. I know some are replacing with LT tires and bumping up from E to G load ratings which is probably a mistake since extra 30 lbs tire pressure will cause trailer to bounce more and suspension is probably tuned for E rated tires. And, if you run a G rated tire at 80 lbs then you are under inflating them and causing more problems. Anyway, replacing the China tires could be the reason there have not been as many complaints of tire failures with Westlake tires. All I know is I will never allow a China tire on my RV again.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ajbaber, just wondering which model and year Solitude you have and how many miles were on the tires. The reason I ask is I believe most Solitudes now come with g-rated tires not e-rated tires. Only e-rated tires take 80#s of air pressure. Maybe they were just getting too old. Most tires need to get replaced more because of age than miles on them.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have 2017 Solitude 310 with 235/80/16 E rated Westlakes, now same size Goodyear Endurance. We only have about 5000 miles on tires and I always check pressure on each trip and along the way. The low mileage for 1 year is that it has been in service for 5 months for warranty work. Although, DOT on tires is June 2016. As I mentioned, running G rated at 80# is under inflating them. They are meant to be run at 110# which will cause additional stress on trailer and suspension. I looked at Goodyear 85 but that put the tandem tires too close for X-chocks and didn't buy much in load rating. In fact, only thing it bought is more money for Goodyear and Discount Tire.

FYI, when we picked up trailer after damage repair, another of the Westlake tires had a bubble in it.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have friends that own a Jayco dealership. They have had at least one trailer comeback with a blown endurance so far. Was it a bad tire, road hazard, who knows. Frankly with some of the potholes I've hit I can't believe I haven't blown one yet!! I'm sure not defending Westlake, I'm debating replacing mine also. The problem with endurance is they are only e rated. The current solitude's are coming with G westlakes. The Endurance's have a good weight rating but you are giving up 4 ply's.

I'm probably going with sailuns if I replace (also a china tire) I can't find a bad word about them. I believe even the Goodyear 614's had a bad run a while ago.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to jinx it, but these endurance tires roll so easy! Also interesting is they haven't lost a pound of air since getting them installed in March. Temps from 30 to 20 to 90. Does it mean anything? ? Not sure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Andrew in the Burgh
    2015 Reflection 317RST...Auction Rebuild

See Thread Here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...795#post145795

2016 F350 CCLB DRW 6.7

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...Endurance vs G614???

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put a set of Endurance on my enclosed trailer. ST205-75-15. The 5-year old Carlisles I replaced were C rated and I noticed these Endurance are D rated. They are all made in the USA, a couple in late 2017 and the other two in 2018. Bought at Discount Tire and cost $565 installed. I don't buy road hazard warranties as I consider them a complete waste of money in the long haul. Blew a tire once with a road hazard warranty on it. Discount replaced the tire and I was left with a destroyed fender, where the real money is spent.

I've pulled this trailer a lot of miles and I did notice right away that it pulled smoother with less bouncing. Maybe it was just new tires that were balanced, I don't know. The Endurance tires look impressive and I hope I can get 5 years out of them.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    Fake news. Goodyear Endurance Made In America in Gadsden, AL and Fayetteville, NC.
    Its not fake. My new Goodyear Endurance tires are made in the USA. Also this past weekend I took my first longer trip and I am thrilled at how much better my Imagine tows with these tires. The ride is noticeably smoother. I'm sold.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast