User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power Stabilizer Jacks question (Fully extend or not)

For those who have the power stabilizer jacks (see pick below) do you extend them fully or only enough to stabilize your TT?

I know with the scissor manual stabilizers you want to extend them almost fully to get the best strength/stability. For the power stabilizer jacks I was told to not extend them fully as they lose strength the more you extend them...then I read this quote from (//http://www.steadyfast.com/gallery.html):

"Most of these type stabilizers flex a bit. They perform better the further they are extended"

I was researching the differences between Stead fast and JT's Strong Arm when I came across that statement.

For clarity the picture below is the power stabilizer I'm referencing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	640_601_new-electric-stab-jack.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	13478

I sent an email to Lippert and I'm awaiting a reply but I thought/hoped that someone may be able to answer here to bring awareness to everyone who may have the same question I have. If/When I get a reply from Lippert I'll post it here as well.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any stabilizer I would think would work better when it isn't extended all the way. The more an arm has to come down the more room it has to flex back and forth. Don't know who told you scissor jacks work best when fully extended but that just doesn't make sense to me. Just looking at them a single arm coming down to wobble back and forth or something shorter with less room to wobble. We have the power stabilizers and from using them I have found that the less I have to extend them the more solid the trailer is.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think more extension or less extension makes enough of a difference to worry about on a trailer this long. I always use some blocking under the feet of the stabilizers if they are on anything other than a paved surface. I run them down until the motor slows a bit under the load, then go about my business. Sometimes while moving about in the trailer I'll hear one set of stabilizers make a little noise or creak. I just run out and put a little more tension on that set.

I think another set of these stabilizers would be really effective if it were located very near the axles. Most of the bounce comes from the springs and tires supporting the bulk of the trailer.

BTW, these are only stabilizers, not scissor jacks. They will not lift the trailer nor are they intended to. You couldn't run them all the way out unless the trailer was high enough off the deck to allow it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I currently use the yellow Lego blocks to ensure my electric stabilizers don't extend fully as I too subscribe to the theory (like Whittleburner mention) that the less I have to extended the better.

I did get a reply from Lippert but they never answered my question directly. They told me that the stabilizers were not supposed to be used for leveling or used in placed of a jack while changing a tire. I thought my question was clear but I guess not - they never answered if there is a maximum extension point for the electronic stabilizers.
    Jim & Kate
    2020 Solitude 344GK

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same question. I was told by the dealer not to try and use them as leveling jacks, or I'll end up damaging them. The trailer wobbles inside when we walk - sometimes more than other times. I know that a little wobble is normal. I extend them down until they stop, then give it another second or tow. Is that too much?

Does anybody use scissors-jacks in place of/in addition to these stabilizers to steady the trailer?
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jim1521 - I did use the scissor jacks for awhile but I have moved to the RV Universal Stabilizer. It helped but I have to make adjustments daily.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aedc475b-07f4-4fe3-a8de-b0389c9720d6._SR970,300_.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	13580

I'm now looking at the JT StrongArm or the Steadyfast option.

http://www.steadyfast.com/index.html

https://www.lci1.com/jt-strong-arm

I haven't read anything that solidifies that one is better than the other but the reviews all say it's the best thing towards getting as much stabilization.

I'm still in discovery and research mode so I don't have first hand experience with either...yet.
    Jim & Kate
    2020 Solitude 344GK

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The power stabilizers wouldn't level the trailer anyways. Both sides go down until they each touch the ground, then they both put equal pressure on the jacks. So the trailer would still be out of level but stabilized.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4