User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much is too much?

Hi folks - I just picked up a Grand Design 2400BH travel trailer. We plan to do some drycamping and have a 480 watt solar system (this guy) installed. I'm wondering if installing 4 (versus 2) 6 volt batteries is just overkill for this relatively small trailer. I know there's not "correct" answer here, but do you have a general opinion about whether 4, 6V batteries would be overkill?

Thanks!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on how much you are going to be using the battery power. If you are running 2 batteries down during periods when solar is not available you need more batteries. If you add more batteries you need to be sure you have enough watts to recharge them when solar is working. The only way to know the answer is to use it as it is for a while and see if you have enough capacity for your needs with the current set up.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also be aware more batteries mean lots more weight. What do you predict to be your daily amp usage while off the grid?
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    It depends on how much you are going to be using the battery power. If you are running 2 batteries down during periods when solar is not available you need more batteries. If you add more batteries you need to be sure you have enough watts to recharge them when solar is working. The only way to know the answer is to use it as it is for a while and see if you have enough capacity for your needs with the current set up.
    Ditto! You really need to evaluate what you are wanting to power then see what you need. Each application is specific to the user. There is no "right" answer! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have mentioned, it does really depend on your expected usage. But I can give you my experience as a general reference. I dry camp a lot and have two 6V batteries. Generally, I only use lights, water pump, and maybe a little bit of TV. I can easily go three days before the batteries reach 75%.

6V batteries are made to take more abuse than a typical 12V battery, so I could probably squeeze another day or two out of them before worrying about hooking up the solar to recharge. One thing that does drain the batteries a bit quicker is if I end up needing the furnace (the fan does draw a fair bit of power). Even with that, I can still make a weekend without having to charge.

I mostly weekend camp, so I based my system on getting through at least 2-3 days without having to recharge (assuming a worst-case scenario of absolutely no sun). Assuming a similar scenario of light to moderate use, 2 6V batteries would most likely be sufficient. Obviously, your case may be different but that's been my experience.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others state look at your usage. We don’t use tv at all dry camping, all cooking is propane ( no electric coffeemaker, etc). Lights are all led. Water is military showers, etc... assuming no furnace we run 2 marine 12v batteries and easily go 4-5 days without a solar recharge system...

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4-6V batteries are a lot of weight. I have 2-12V batteries and a generator but for a 2-week stint off the grid this year I'm going with 2-6V batteries and 200W of solar.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK