User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing Cell Booster - drill location on back?

I had a Weboost RV-x in my last RV, and I'm finally installing it in my new one (Reflection 311bhs). I want to run a wire from the back ladder, to under the bunk, and then into the living room.

I think I have it all figured out, but I'm a little hesitant to drill the hole in the back wall. Other than the ladder, are there any places I should worry about drilling? Is there a schematic for the back wall?

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be hesitant to drill through the laminated side walls on my rig. When I installed a fitting to bring in some coax, I did it through the floor. No broken vacuum seals, no chance of creating a place for water to get inside and start delamination, etc. I did it in the entertainment center slide where there is no Coroplast. Perhaps you could drop a corner of the Coroplast at the back end to do this.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not too worried about it. On my last rig I used a grommet and silicone to seal it up nicely. I also need to keep the wire short, so I don't have a lot of flexibility.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just took some photos of the inside with my Flir camera, and the wall seems to be relatively empty. There are beams by the Window, but that's about all I can see.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-06-21 14.46.44-2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	13512

Name:	2018-06-21 14.46.44-3.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	13513

Name:	2018-06-21 14.46.44.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	13514

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, there's another toy I'm going to have to buy!! I'd never considered and IR camera for checking for places to drill. Currently investigating installation options for my weboost as well!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up drilling through the back wall. I used some silicon to seal it for now - I need to get a replacement grommet and I'll make it look nice. I'll try to post some photos soon.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used marine bulkhead pass thru fittings. They fit in a 1" hole, and are made for routing cables where water ingress would be a Bad Thing.

Can't find the exact thing I bought at West Marine, but the item at the first link below is similar. Mine was better, with four screw holes, rubber washer, smaller ingress hole. The item at the second link might be even better.

@Second Chance has me worried now about breaching the vacuum in the wall... I didn't know there was one. I put lots of Dicor sealant in the 1" hole and around and in the fitting.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...03_094_010_501

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/t-h-marine--ceacap-bulkhead-pass-thru-fitting--P006_181_003_512

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get a slide cover installed, they drill the side wall for support brackets. I think you will be fine.
    2023 Ram 2500 Mega diesel
    2023 Imagine 2910
    Gone but not forgotten:
    2018 Imagine 2400BH - with chaise lounge

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by savage99ss View Post
    If you get a slide cover installed, they drill the side wall for support brackets. I think you will be fine.
    X2 if you used Dicor.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boyscout, you aren't breeching any vacuum in the wall. Vacuum is a method used to construct walls, holding the lamination together while the glue dries. The exterior walls of the coach are full of big holes from the factory, like windows and marker lights.I'm not even sure GD uses that method. Like others have said, seal up the edges of the hole and you'll be fine.

Would be kinda cool to have your wall sound like opening a beer when you cut a hole in it.