User Tag List

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

South Central Texas RVer's Oak Thicket Park Lake Fayette

The wife and I have reservations at the above park in July. Has anyone else stayed here?
    It's apart of the LCRA (Lower Colorado River Authority) recreation areas, a kin to the state parks in Texas. Its kind of a small park on Lake Fayette near Fayetteville Texas kind of half way between Bastrop and Columbus I10 off highway 71.
    It seems very nice and kind of remote. Going to try my hand at fishing and relaxing. The RV park is in a heavy wooded area of the park with lots of shade from the hot Texas sun. We toured the park as a pre-trip, easy to get to, nice roads and it looks like they keep the trees trimmed around the campsites. Very nice people at the main gate and in the park. Typical state park kind of place but well kept. Will post our experience after trip.

Find info here - https://www.lcra.org/parks/Pages/oak-thicket-park.aspx
    Last edited by Steven@147; 06-22-2018 at 09:23 AM. Reason: location
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but if it's like South Shore in Bastrop or Matagorda Bay Nature Park in Matagorda (both LCRA parks) it'll be very nice & clean with super helpful and friendly park hosts. Let us know your experience. We were last up that direction to Round Top in April. Fun town to visit.
    Mike & Lisa
    Bay City, Texas

'19 Reflection 303RLS Dual A/C, Dual Awnings, Free Standing Table & Chairs, 12 Cu Ft Refrigerator

'14 RAM 2500 Tradesman CCLB 4WD 6.7L CTD 68RFE 3:42; Built 12/13/13 Purchased 4/11/14; Fuel Hostage 18x9; BFG AT KO2 275/70/18; B&W RVK3600

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, overall we had a good time at LCRA Oak Thicket RV Park on Lake Fayette near Fayetteville Texas but we were disappointed. The sites are heavy wooded and the one way road is very narrow in the RV area. I scraped one small area on the RV backing into our site, it was a bear to back into. I have never had so much trouble backing into a site and it was very unlevel. After we got parked I found out the 50 amp connection (actually 100 amp - two 50 amp breakers) did not work so we had to plug into 30 amp. The 30 amp plug would not work unless you had the 50 amp double breaker on. I can only guess at how they had the pedestal wired but my power monitor told me the power was stable and ground and neutral were wired correctly. We just had to limit our power consumption and run on one AC unit. I told the park attendant about it and they said they would fix it. I had so much trouble backing into the site I didn't want to do it all over again in another site. The only good thing to say about it being heavy wooded, it provides lots of shade.

I watched a camper try to back his 40 foot 5er into a spot that was designated as a big RV site. He couldn't make it, too many over hanging low tree limbs and trees right next to the site pad entrance, the road and site were too narrow for him to jack knife the RV and back it in. He had to switch to another site.
    There is no place to park excess vehicles in the RV area. Some vehicles were parked beside the road making it more difficult to drive in and out of the RV area. A lot of camping sites were rented up by vehicles with boats.

The bath house was dirty, dead bugs all over the place. No fan to circulate the air, damp and musty. We didn't use it. The dump station had a very short entrance and exit and sharp turn to get into. If one 30 foot RV is dumping, and another is waiting in line they block the main road leading out of the RV area. Nobody can drive out of the RV park until they move.
    The fishing area in the RV park was over grown with huge reeds 5 foot tall and growing out between the pier planking boards, it was pretty much unusable. The main pier over by the beach was much better and I did manage to get some fishing in.

The RV park attendants were very friendly but I guess with limited funds for repairs and upgrading of the park and trimming of the trees, it was disappointing. Unfortunately this park is off our list.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1521.jpg   IMG_1522.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 07-09-2018 at 10:25 AM. Reason: sorry about the pictures being sideays
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel