User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't Choose This Interior!! - (Momentum 394M Toy Hauler, Grey Sofa)

Hi All -

I am new to the forum. Love my 394M and have had a pretty good experience with Grand Design dealer/company support up until now. However we were on a trip a few weeks ago and had a tear open up in one of the couches. We were drinking coffee and sitting on the couch, my girlfriend leaned over to talk to someone, and riiiipppp. No warning, no puncture, nothing.

I contacted the dealer and Grand Design to explain what happened and they do not cover issues with upholstery on the warranty. I can see why they would have that policy, but it is still such a bummer to have a nearly brand new $90,000 trailer with a big rip in the sofa and no support at all from the manufacturer, dealer (B Young RV in Portland), or the component supplier (Lippert). I kind of got the feeling that maybe they don't believe me that the fabric just ripped like that.

Now I am going to have a nice big piece of grey duct tape on the sofa to keep the rip from spreading. And I'm also worried that I am going to have a lot of problems with this upholstery down the road. My confidence in B Young and Grand Design support is also very much shaken. There's no way this rip should've spontaneously opened up when someone leaned on the couch. Either the fabric itself is not up to spec, or maybe there was an inconsistency in the manufacturing of the fabric that resulted in a weak spot there.

The upholstery on this rig was one of the things that initially attracted me to it. I thought it looked tough and resilient and easy to wash. The easy to wash part is true, but not the tough part. Posting this notice to help others avoid the same mistake!!! Highly recommend that you do not choose this particular interior!!

Here is what the inside of the camper looks like and also the rip itself.

- I snapped the shot with my girlfriend's shoulder in it just seconds after it happened. About 6 people saw and heard this happen, she leaned over and it ripped.

- I snapped the shot of the larger rip (with my finger in it) when we got home from the trip. The rip has now extended all the way down to the lower seam, probably because we continued to use the sofa on the trip without putting any tape on there.

- The third pic of the whole living room is from when we bought the camper at B Young, so you can see what the sofas look like.

I do not know the name of this particular upholstery option, but if anyone knows it, can you post it here so this thread shows up in other people's searches if they are researching which option to choose? This is the Theater seating option. Going back, I would have gone with the normal leather-ish upholstery on the sofas instead of this. Hope this post helps someone else making the same decision.

Edit Update: This is called the 'Oakley' fabric option.

Pete
    [ Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4102.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	13523Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamedcouch.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	13524Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0072.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	13525

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the warranty denial notification. To B Young's credit, they did offer to help me find a repair shop, which is something. Not sure yet if I can get my hands on any fabric to repair it with, I talked to Grand Design about this and they were not particularly helpful.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4103.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	13526

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awful, and I'm sorry to hear about this issue. I have a Solitude I purchased from B.Young. I've had good experience with this dealer and hope to continue my positive experience with them. Unfortunately, if the manufacture won't cover the tear, I'm not surprised the dealership passed.

Now... I would recommend seeking out a upholstery repair center. My wife's Audi (Q7) had an issue with the leather seat, out of warranty, and I was shocked how easy and inexpensive it was to get the seat repaired. It looked perfect afterwards!
    My guess, this can be repaired pretty easily to your satisfaction with not a whole lot "out of pocket".

Hoping my "Leather 'ish, actually, not even close to real leather" has better performance.
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First welcome. Ok, Don't know how old your unit is or if it even in warranty as you do not mention age. Go directly to Lippert. Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 574-537-8900. Send them the pictures, with VIN number, date purchased, etc and see what they can do . Plead your case there. I hate to say it but both your dealer and GD are middle men.

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Totally agree about B Young. Not much they can do if the manufacturer won't stand behind it. Not their fault and they have been great to work with.

I just emailed Stacy to take her up on her offer to introduce me to a repair person.

Regarding Grand Design & Lippert: with new RVs I kind of feel like inevitably there are going to be some issues after you buy one, and everyone knows that: the customer, the dealer, the manufacturer, the component supplier. Doesn't matter what kind of RV it is, there will be issues. All we can ask for is that they'll be resolved quickly and efficiently without a bunch of arguing and finger pointing.

Like when I bought this new rig the front Lippert hydraulic jack blew up on our first trip a few months ago while we were camping. It dropped the camper to the ground on a downward tilt and without a jack we could not reload it. Also the slide-outs would not operate because they are plugged into the same hydraulic system. Hydraulic fluid sprayed everywhere and we were stuck in California. One of the banjo bolts in the hydraulic system had failed, the top just popped right off the bolt. Grand Design sent new jacks and the whole situation was resolved well. No big deal. Campers are complicated things with a lot of sub-systems on them and one little bolt on one particular sub-system failed. I get that and was super appreciative that they took care of it with no hassles.

Had a small issue with the stereo: fixed. Issue with the slide-out being out of alignment and not sealing: they walked me through me how to fix that myself. Then this issue happened and suddenly: sorry, that's not our problem. Based on my experiences up to this point I expected more from GD. Even if they're not going to pay for it, at least some help getting replacement fabric would've been nice. Maybe they're having issues with this particular fabric on other rigs as well and they just decided to draw a line in the sand about responsibility for it to cut their losses.

I don't even care all that much about the repair cost to be totally honest. I think I'm just a little sore about the total lack of acknowledgement.
    Last edited by sideoff; 06-22-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Jim, thanks for the contact information and the idea to go straight to Lippert. I will try that right now.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 on what Jim said. Contact Lippert direct. They have been extremely helpful with people who have had sofa issues.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great to hear! I just sent them an email directly, and also included a link to this thread. Appreciate the responses! Even though I am new on the forum, I've been a lurker on here since before we bought the new rig. What a great resource!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sideoff View Post
    That's great to hear! I just sent them an email directly, and also included a link to this thread. Appreciate the responses! Even though I am new on the forum, I've been a lurker on here since before we bought the new rig. What a great resource!
    Ok, since you opened the door by telling us you have been lurking. Spend the $12 and become a site sponsor. Hopefully you see that there is a lot of knowledge and value here. This is a privately run site by a fellow GD owner (Chris). GD does not support or pay for it , we do by our sponsorship. This is how it is kept ad free, etc. Personally I would say it is the best $1 a month you could spend...

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sideoff View Post
    Thanks. Totally agree about B Young. Not much they can do if the manufacturer won't stand behind it. Not their fault and they have been great to work with.

I just emailed Stacy to take her up on her offer to introduce me to a repair person.

Regarding Grand Design & Lippert: with new RVs I kind of feel like inevitably there are going to be some issues after you buy one, and everyone knows that: the customer, the dealer, the manufacturer, the component supplier. Doesn't matter what kind of RV it is, there will be issues. All we can ask for is that they'll be resolved quickly and efficiently without a bunch of arguing and finger pointing.

Like when I bought this new rig the front Lippert hydraulic jack blew up on our first trip a few months ago while we were camping. It dropped the camper to the ground on a downward tilt and without a jack we could not reload it. Also the slide-outs would not operate because they are plugged into the same hydraulic system. Hydraulic fluid sprayed everywhere and we were stuck in California. One of the banjo bolts in the hydraulic system had failed, the top just popped right off the bolt. Grand Design sent new jacks and the whole situation was resolved well. No big deal. Campers are complicated things with a lot of sub-systems on them and one little bolt on one particular sub-system failed. I get that and was super appreciative that they took care of it with no hassles.

Had a small issue with the stereo: fixed. Issue with the slide-out being out of alignment and not sealing: they walked me through me how to fix that myself. Then this issue happened and suddenly: sorry, that's not our problem. Based on my experiences up to this point I expected more from GD. Even if they're not going to pay for it, at least some help getting replacement fabric would've been nice. Maybe they're having issues with this particular fabric on other rigs as well and they just decided to draw a line in the sand about responsibility for it to cut their losses.

I don't even care all that much about the repair cost to be totally honest. I think I'm just a little sore about the total lack of acknowledgement.
    I am not attempting to defend GD at all on this but unlike the leveling parts you mention, the stereo, etc , the sofa is a "black box" to them (and a very big box at that). GD wouldn't have a fabric piece or even a new cushion to send out. Ultimately Lippert will make the call on warranty.

Jim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast