0 Thread(s)
    ^ Done, $12 sent!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBober View Post
    I am not attempting to defend GD at all on this but unlike the leveling parts you mention, the stereo, etc , the sofa is a "black box" to them (and a very big box at that). GD wouldn't have a fabric piece or even a new cushion to send out. Ultimately Lippert will make the call on warranty.

Jim
    Yes I get that for sure.

I would normally expect the branded manufacturer and final assembler (in this case Grand Design) to broker warranty claims to the sub-vendors during the warranty period. Rather than sending customers to the sub-vendors directly. Otherwise it gets kind of crazy. Grand Design send me to Lippert, Lippert sends me to the sofa factory, the sofa factory sends me to the fabric mill, the fabric mill sends me to their fiber source, etc.

I reached out to Lippert and we'll see what they say.

Another difference with the jacks is that with a snapped banjo bolt it's much easier to establish fault than with a torn couch. When there's upholstery damage it's hard for the supplier to determine whether it's a defect in materials and workmanship, or whether maybe it's something the customer did. I bet they're pretty suspicious when they see upholstery damage. Like someone drops a knife on the couch and then says 'I swear it just ripped when I sat on it.' I have a business that makes consumer products (Actually sewn goods, not so different from this. We make luggage) and we see a lot of that kind of stuff, so I know how it's perceived on the other end.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worst case, or best case, depends how you look at it, maybe Lippert can send you a few yards of fabric. Then find an upholsterer that can replace that section of the seat. Or find a good upholsterer that can re upholster the entire couch in a way better fabric that closely matches what you have.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
    Worst case, or best case, depends how you look at it, maybe Lippert can send you a few yards of fabric. Then find an upholsterer that can replace that section of the seat. Or find a good upholsterer that can re upholster the entire couch in a way better fabric that closely matches what you have.
    Just put in a request for this through the dealer. She introduced me to Dan at FiberNew in Portland, talked to him on the phone, seems like a good guy. He said we should order the fabric through the dealership. I'll keep this updated and see what happens. Also still have that email out to Lippert.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it is worth, that is the "Oakley" interior.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    For what it is worth, that is the "Oakley" interior.
    Thank you!! I will update the original post.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

I reached out to LCI for help and they stepped up to the plate both in terms of spare fabric and also with help on the repair.

Nicole at LCI responded within an hour of me sending an email to their general inbox, and has been very prompt on all email correspondence since then.

Dan at FiberNew has also been very prompt and helpful. He is putting together a quote for the repair right now.

The corner of this sectional is bolted down to the slide-out, but the back appears to be removable. So I can pull that off and drive it into Portland for the repair (an hour and a half away) rather than towing the entire rig.

Overall I think that's a pretty fantastic response on the part of LCI. It hadn't even occurred to me to reach out to them directly until I posted here, so thanks everyone for the help!

Pete

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep that's pretty good of LCI to step and help you out.

Glad things worked out well for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this thread. Having the same issues with the upholstery on our 2014 Solitude 368RD. Contacted Grand Design without a response as of yet and thanks to the advise above just emailed Lippert customer service. After talking to several local shops (Sarasota and Tampa) the only options seem to be re-upholster (at $800-1000 per recliner/unit) or replace. I will be interested to see what Lippert has to offer and will update this on their response.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Lippert upholstery leaves a lot to be desired. Many folks find it doesn't last much beyond the warranty. Our example - http://rvhome.school/Our-RV.html#LippertRecliners

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast