User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed the 5100's on my HD2500. I put them on my previous tow rig, 2500 Suburban and they worked very nicely. All I can tell is that the truck is much more stable, especially in braking. Another thing I found was the front a-arm bumpers were worn out and not even touching the lower control arm...changing this and the shocks took away the bouncing during braking I was experiencing. I always thought the 5100's were heavier duty but this last time around, I found out, as has been said, 5100s are for lifts. I am not lifted in any way and wasn't with the Suburban but am, very pleased with the 5100's...towing or not.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good feedback Rapid1. Thanks!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called Bilstein tech info in California. If the truck is not lifted he highly recommended the 4600's. Even though the 5100's can fit a truck with 0 - 1-1/2 or 2 inch lift, they are made to work best at the lifted height. At least that's what he said.
    Anyway, I sprung for the 4600's. Will let y'all know what I think of 'em after I get 'em mounted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll be trying out the foxes in a couple months and give a review as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slapped the 4600's on and took a little test drive today with no load on the truck on a bumpy road near me. The rear rides a tad bit harder but not objectionably so. By that I mean the initial compression is just a little stiffer than stock. Without a load on the truck it is hard to judge the rebound at the rear. Pretty hard to get a cushy ride with a lightly loaded heavy leaf spring. The front I would describe as firmer on rebound. The initial compression is about the same as stock but the feeling is that there is more control of the suspension movement.

Overall the feeling is very slightly firmer. Totally acceptable. The real test will come July 16 when we leave on a trip over Stevens Pass on Hwy2, a very rough highway with lots of large undulations and camber changes. Will report back then.

I'd be interested in your take on the Fox shocks C&M. I believe they use progressive damping as opposed to the divergent damping of the 4600's. A lot of the reviews and opinions about shocks that I read had mostly to do with off road use. I don't intend to do much offroading in an 8000lb truck with a near 14ft wheelbase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll definitely let everyone know once I buy them and throw them on.

Yes most reviews are going to be about off-roading as that is where they got there start. Same with kings.

Few guys on the other forum I’m on actually lowered their trucks by a couple inches, run the king resi’s, and say the ride loaded or unloaded is phenomenal. One guy did this to his F-450 and says it’s the best riding truck he’s ever been in, but fox resis are about $1k for all four while the kings are about $1500. That’s a lot of money for shocks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to mention: All 4 factory shocks have warnings on them regarding high gas pressure contained in the shock. Upon removing the front shocks I discovered they have lost their gas charge. The rears still exhibited gas pressure although one of them couldn't extend itself all the way. There is no question about the gas pressure in the Bilsteins. The truck has less than 12,000 miles.
    I'm thinking this could be part of the problem with excessive movement of the front suspension.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My stock Ranchos were the same when I replaced them with the 5100s at 5k miles.
    2024 Solitude 376RD...was: 2018 Momentum 349M
    2020 RAM 3500 Cummins HO/4:10/DRW...was: 2016 GMC Denali HD Duramax/Allison
    B&W Companion 25K...was: Reese Goosebox 20K...was: B&W Companion Slider 20K

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The verdict is in!

Towed the big fella over the Stevens Pass Hwy today. For those that don't know it, it is a 2 lane road with speed limits from 35 to 60 mph. It's bumpy in places and has many large undulations that set up some very large suspension movements. My combo didn't like this road, with the front end heaving up and down over the undulations.

Bilstein to the rescue. The difference is amazing. A lot of the small chop I hardly feel and over the big whoops it is very controlled. Rebound damping is spot on. I normally feel a bit beat up after travelling this road, not today. I'm not going to miss those flaccid stock shocks. Bonus- they ride as well as or better than the stockers when unloaded.

Today I'm a happy camper!

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kim, who did you purchase the 4600's through?

Thanks - Jim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast