User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refrigerator fans (outside) not working

351 Momentum owner. Been struggling to get fridge below 45 degrees consistently. Checked door flap, etc - all fine. AC/LP makes no difference. Noticing the 3 fans over the coils outside don't ever seem to come on. I believe they are controlled by a thermostat but as often as Ive been looking things over, I wouldve expected to see them turn on. Any suggestions to troubleshoot before calling a mobile tech?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure what version refer you have but on the motorhome with the Norcold 1200, I can hear them/it when they come on. Not on constantly and not noisy, but audible.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out all your circuit breakers. One circuit includes them. They plug into a regular 15 amp box in the wall behind the fridge. You might pull the vents and look.to see if they are u plugged.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be a thermal switch fastened to an upper tube or fin on the back of the fridge, that controls these fans. Check that the terminals are connected to the switch and you can also connect the wires together (bypassing the switch) to see if the thermal switch is the problem. This is all 12V stuff BTW.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    There should be a thermal switch fastened to an upper tube or fin on the back of the fridge, that controls these fans. Check that the terminals are connected to the switch and you can also connect the wires together (bypassing the switch) to see if the thermal switch is the problem. This is all 12V stuff BTW.

Rob

That was it! Bypassed therma switch and fans drew power. Any reason I can't keep the fans direct connected until I can replace the switch? Thanks again!!!!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Robrasta View Post
    That was it! Bypassed therma switch and fans drew power. Any reason I can't keep the fans direct connected until I can replace the switch? Thanks again!!!!
    I don't see any problem with the fans running all the time if you are somewhere where it's warm.

P.S. If you want to be easier to communicate with, create a signature including what, where and other info. See others for ideas, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robrasta View Post
    Those “computer” fans will run for thousands of hours . . . I can’t see any problem with leaving them running. You could put a simple toggle switch in place of the thermal switch until you find the correct replacement.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS