User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Naviks' Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera Bypass for Ford Truck -- A Review

This review is for those of you that own (or are considering) a Ford truck with the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera system. Please note that I have no association with Naviks or financial interest in the company--this post is my own experience with their product and it is written in hopes it helps someone else on the forum that dislikes Ford's stock camera operation.

PROBLEM
    So the issue is that Ford has disabled the cameras--all of them--once you're moving faster than 3 to 5 mph. The way the system works it should be called the "Ultimate Parking Camera System". Though I really like my 2017 Ford F-250 Platinum*, the camera system (except for when I'm parking) was a real disappointment.

*Edit: True when this was written. I now have a F-350 DRW Platinum with the same camera system. I moved the NAVIKS harness from the 250 to the 350.

SOLUTION
    I came across Naviks' product while searching for a solution that allows me to use the cameras when I want to use them. After watching Naviks' video, I decided to get the system with the video interface. ("Video interface" is another input with unused analog RCA and stereo inputs. I'm not using the additional input for anything at the moment but got it for future expansion should the need arise.)

PRICE
    Make sure you're sitting down when you see the price. They are very proud of their device! Is it worth it? Read on...

INSTALLATION
    A set of panel prying tools (Harbor Freight has small sets that work great) is required--they are not provided by Naviks. If you use a screwdriver you'll mar your interior panels. (Don't use a screwdriver!!!)

The directions are OK, but step 4 tells you to "reassemble in reverse order" and then sneaks in another step on the top of the next page. I caught the discrepancy before reassembling, but it could lead to frustration. I wish they'd called out the size of the screws in the directions, too. (The majority of the screws are 7mm.) It is also unclear how I'm supposed to run the video lines for the auxiliary inputs. I suspect going through the glove box is how I'd do it if I ever utilize that feature. Then I'd have to leave what is basically an extension cord in the glove box.

The electrical connectors that must be removed are stiff and have tiny release mechanisms. Inserting the harness is not hard, but they have a lot of very small pins and care/patience is an absolute must. If you're unfamiliar with automotive-type connectors and how they come apart it could be a challenge.

If anyone is interested in getting a copy of the installation directions send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the PDF.

OPERATION
    In a word: FANTASTIC! There is a bit of goofiness in that to turn on the Front Camera you must press the "rear defroster" button 4 times and then press the camera button to turn it on. To turn on the rear cameras you press the "front defroster" button 2 times. All of the different rear cameras are available and every view is available. The view from the camera above the bed (mounted to the upper brake light) is my favorite--I can see everything behind me! Best rear-view mirror ever. Perhaps the most outstanding feature is the appropriate side camera turns on when I turn on the turn signal. (You can manually disable this feature if you want.) I loved this feature in my previous vehicle (a Honda CR-V) and now I have it back in my truck. What's even better is that when I have my favorite rear view enabled and use the turn signal (activating the side camera) the system reverts back to the rear view when the turn signal turns off. Outstanding!

VALUE
    So is it worth $550? For me the answer is an unqualified "yes". The price is steep--no doubt about it--but I'm very, very pleased with the device. (I just got it today, so time will tell regarding the quality of the unit.)

You can watch Naviks' video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OC_ED_n10Y

There are multiple options depending on what system you have and what you want it to do. I decided on this one: https://naviks.com/i-24075925-2017-2...1305%26go%3DGo

If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them.
    Last edited by howson; 02-07-2019 at 01:20 PM.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update: DOESN'T WORK WITH TRAILER REVERSE GUIDANCE!

I tried the Trailer Reverse Guidance (TRG) feature on my truck for the first time tonight. I could not get the last step ("calibrate") to work. I tried everything I could think of...refused to calibrate. As a last resort I removed the Naviks harness and the trailer calibrated within ~100 feet of putting the truck in drive.

Whether the TRG is worth using is a debate for another thread--I am posting this experience here so anyone who may be considering the Naviks harness I wrote about in the original post goes in with "eyes wide open".

One more note--after calibrating the trailer I reinstalled the harness and the TRG continued to work. It was the "calibrate" step when adding a new trailer that refused to work.

Any questions...fire back.

-Howard

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update 2: Impact on Navigation Feature

Switching between the Naviks camera views and the Sync 3's Navigation screen disrupts the nav's GPS input. As I was traveling along I-10 just west of Tallahassee the nav showed us up in Alabama, traveling a straight line headed northwest. After a rest stop and power-cycling the truck the nav found my correct location.

As a test I again selected a Naviks camera view and then went back to the Nav. Again, it lost my location but within a few moments came back.

BL--if the onboard Nav is your choice for guidance, I'd skip the Naviks.

I'm also disappointed that when the truck is put in reverse the front camera (even when deliberately chosen as the source) flips to the rear camera. When I was recently parking my 315RLTS at my home for the first time, I needed to see in FRONT of me, not behind, as I got straightened out before backing through my double-gates. Quite annoying it kept turning off as I alternated between Reverse and Drive.

So...while apparently the only option (that I can find) to override Ford's nanny-handholding built into their camera system, the Naviks is not perfect.

I'll continue to update as I learn more.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. The "ultimate tow camera" option in the Fords is awesome, especially for hitching up the 5er. I have wondered why they disable the camera use when underway. Was thinking someone may have figured out how to override the setting using the FORscan software, but haven't looked. The camera in a turn would be cool, but $550 is steep.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update 3: Voice command is also disabled

Discovered on the way home from work that with a view enabled via the NAVIKS that the Sync 3's voice command is disabled. As soon as I turned off the NAVIKS'-enabled camera view voice command returned.

On a separate note, I have the rear camera installed on the trailer and will use it for the first time on trip next week. (The NAVIKS will allow me to view behind the trailer as we roll down the road.) Between the new Garmin 770RV GPS and the new rear camera I'll have my fill of new toys! I'll report in a separate post how it goes.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pics from the Truck

Took a few pics while driving to/from the CAT scale today. Even with all the limitations of the NAVIKS (and cost!) I really like having the ability to view the cameras while towing. I also installed Ford's wired camera on the 315RLTS and added Ford's TPMS. Here's the pics (any questions, let me know).

Standard TPMS built into the Ford truck

Trailer TPMS readings (sorry 'bout the blurry pic)

The center mounted over truck bed camera's view of the 'Wing in the bed:

Garmin 770 (with traffic adapter) on the dash and view from camera mounted on 315RLTS in center display (while driving):

That's the bikes hanging off the back of the trailer at the lower bottom of the pic.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found one more issue with the NAVIKS. In the features list it says you can turn off the left and right side cameras when the turn signal is activated. That's true if you're NOT viewing a camera. With a camera activated (usually the one on the back of the camper so I can see behind me) when I activate a turn signal the view switches to the corresponding camera (left or right side). I can't consistently get the camera to stop switching--I want it to stay on the rear camera. What's double-annoying is when the turn signal is turned off the view switches back to the default rear view--the camera on the tailgate. The DW keeps busy switching the view back to the camper's camera so I can monitor what's going on behind me.

I called NAVIKS and sent them videos. They acknowledged it was an oversight in their testing--no resolution to date.

If anyone's interested to see what I'm describing let me know and I'll dig up the YouTube links.

-Howard

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why it works sometimes and others it doesn't

Sometimes when I engage the rear camera when I activate the turn signal it does not switch (as described in the previous post). Sometimes it does. I can't figure out why--yet.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Sometimes when I engage the rear camera when I activate the turn signal it does not switch (as described in the previous post). Sometimes it does. I can't figure out why--yet.
    Looks like you've got the lead on beta testing. Very interested but I may wait a bit for additional refinement. Thx.

MD
    Kevin & May - Baltimore, MD
    2018 Ford F-250 Platinum FX4 Diesel
    2019 Grand Design, Reflection 297RSTS
    2016 CVO Harley Davidson, Road Glide Ultra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Took a few pics while driving to/from the CAT scale today.
    Okay, I have serious RV-Envy right now....

I am only interested in the Ford TPMS part, and a quick google search shows $500 for it. Steep but I’m still interested. What is this tow package you speak of? Could it be possible my truck DOESN’T have what’s needed for me to install the tpms...or have it installed? I love the in-dash monitoring...

Did you install yourself?
    Do you run “metal valve stems” like I’ve seen others mention?

Nice setup!
    Jim

2017 F-250 6.7L Fx4 Lariat Long Bed Crew Cab “Daisy”
    using Blue Ox Swaypro 1500S towing
    2018 Imagine 2800BH “River”
    ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000
    Champion 3400w Dual-Fuel Inverter Generator

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast