Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boarding on the road

We'll be taking a long journey in late July and at times will want to do things that dogs aren't allowed. How'd you go about finding a spot for the day. Phone calls, questions out in forums??
    Most campground frown on leaving dogs alone in the trailer all day and with 3 it's sure to be noticed if we did.
    A friend told me about his experience at Carslbad caverns where they stack cages 3 high and if you want the dog exercised or even out to pee you come back and take them out. All they do is supply a cage and water.
    Someplace that either has dog runs or they walk the dog would be preferred.
    Also they have no requirements on proof of immunizations.

I'd like to avoid places like that. Lock an Aussie in a small cage for hours on end and you have a lunatic by the end of the day
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've done this from time to time. We just spend some time researching local kennels and will go and check it out before committing. Some are really great calling themselves doggy daycare. Word of warning though....make 100% certain you have all the papers for the dogs supporting the fact they've had all the shots. The most vital it seems is bordetella.

Chris

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always traveled with a copy of our dogs health records for as long as I can remember. I give them their shots and bordetella myself, it saves a few bucks. The vet gives the rabies, I can't sign the cert.
    They even suggested that the old girl really doesn't have to have most of those immunizations any more, that is until I told them we were traveling this summer.

That's what amazed me about that place at Carlsbad caverns that stacks cages, no shots required and they don't take them out. Wonder how many dogs walk out of there sick or peed on or worse! I'll be doing a bit of research I guess.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know how you feel about leaving you dogs with someone else. This is why we bought the Reflection so Jack can travel with us. Jacks records are always in the trailer and his shots are up to date. I would never place him somewhere that I had not inspected or interviewed the staff. If it didn't feel right he didn't stay.
    Horst, Marlene & Jack, Turlock-CA.
    Reflection 303RLS,
    01 Chevy 3500, 6.0L gas, DRW, 4:10 Gears.
    One big giant (140lbs) chocolate lab Jack.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do your dogs bark at being alone? If so, I am afraid that boarding is the only answer. You might try leaving them home (in the trailer at the campground), but turn on the TV or radio. Make it just loud enough for you to hear it and then step outside. Do they bark? If not, try leaving them this way for an hour, stay nearby but within earshot. If no barking, you may not have to board them at all. I had two dogs at one time, we camped together for over 15 years, and I always left my TV on and never had any complaints. I even stayed outside once for about an hour, still no barking. Just my 2cents worth.
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F350 Dually CC LB 6.7L

mandolin57
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I know how you feel about leaving you dogs with someone else. This is why we bought the Reflection so Jack can travel with us. Jacks records are always in the trailer and his shots are up to date. I would never place him somewhere that I had not inspected or interviewed the staff. If it didn't feel right he didn't stay.
    I'm with you boomer. It's the very reason that we got into camping in the first place so we didn't have to leave ours with someone or a kennel. Please check wherever very carefully. My suggestion would be contact the local humane society or aspca. They may have a lead to a safe place or two that they recommend. Or a vet is a possibility as well. Many of them offer boarding as well as care. Good luck!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have always traveled with our dogs and although there are good kennels out there, we don't trust anyone to take care of them.
    Our dog might as well be our child. He is a rescue golden that even after 2 years doesn't really trust anyone he doesn't know. He has full run of the house and the RV. He even has is spot on the couch. If we have company over and they sit in his place, he'll sit in front of them and stare at them until they get up, then its his again!!! In the RV we do as others have mentioned, pull the blinds down, AC or heat on, and TV on loud enough to cover any outside noises. Never have we had a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have an an aussie and shih tzu as well, your profile pic really caught my eye. Mighty nice looking dogs you have.

we normally leave our dogs in the trailer. We have camped with friends who have come come back to camp before us and tell us our dogs were quiet. We have also asked neighbor campers and get, " there were dogs around?". We tend to close blinds and do leave a radio or TV on to drown out sounds. The first few times we left them it was for short trips 30 mins or less to test the waters. Our dogs come to work with us so really are not left alone very often so leaving them worried me. Now not so much.

Friends of ours have a beagle mix and have used Pets mart in a few locations during their travels. They tell us the kennel is in the public eye so they felt comfortable leaving him there. They had a pretty awful experience with a private researched kennel they used so were nervous now they look for them.
    Lostincanada and Jahna
    AKA Derek and Tatjana plus our pups Shadow and Nani
    2012 Ram 2500
    2015 Reflection 337
    Hailing from Southern Ontario Canada

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess we'll do the leave them alone for short trys while we are camping local. Our blue merle is a bit on the nosy side and will climb on the dining table if necessary to see where we are going. Maybe putting all the chairs in and turning the recliner so the tall back is facing the table might encourage him to look out the window behind the recliner. I think once we'd pull away and the campground isn't overly active they'd stay quiet. It's more private CGs I'd be concerned with.
    Thanks on the dogs behalf, they do make a good combo, the shitz thinks hes a big dog.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a shih tzu (Emma) and a labradoodle (Toby). They always travel us. Neither one is much of a barker and and they're fine being left alone when we go out. The only issue we had was that Toby would climb on just about anything to see out after we left. Closing the shades cured that problem. They seem to know the drill when we leave and just settle into their beds and take a nap until we return. I usually reward them with some playtime as soon as we get back. We're very lucky with these two great "kids". They both travel really well.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast