User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Keebler, I use an AC powered compressor with a tank. Just remember that, without a tank or water/moisture separator, you WILL pump water vapor into your tires. Over time, this can accumulate and cause balance issues. I grew up working at my dad's service station in the '60s. Part of the checklist when we opened up every morning was to open the petcock at the bottom of the large compressor tank and drain the water that had accumulated during the previous day's use... and this was in New Mexico where the humidity is typically below 30%. Later on in he Army I had a wardmaster who aired up his pickup tires regularly at a convenience store using one of those coin-operated compressors without a tank. This one apparently didn't have a water separator, either. When his balance issues got to where he couldn't take it any more, he took it to a tire shop. When they broke the beads on the tires,the water just poured out!

You might also want to check out this thread (found using the search tool):

https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ght=compressor

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Just remember that, without a tank or water/moisture separator, you WILL pump water vapor into your tires.
    Hmmmm . . . water separator . . . I have one on my big shop compressor, but never though of this for my new "truck" compressor. Off to find one of these this afternoon . Thanks Rob!

(another) Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2630.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a 6 gal pancake compressor from Harbor Freight. My tires take 125psi and this charges to 150. Others I tried just couldn't do the job. Mine stays in the basement and I have a 50 hose so I can do all the tires on the rig and truck without the compressor leaving its spot.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    I have to plug into AC power, but I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits easily in the front storage compartment. Nice to be able to check and fill at the campsite; won't help me on the road.
    Been using the same compressor for 4 years now and still going strong.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I am not a normal person my solution to tire inflation is a scuba tank with a tire inflation connector on the high pressure hose.

Pros:
    It's fairly compact and portable
    The air is very dry, in scuba moisture is not allowed to be put into the tank
    It's quiet

Cons:
    I have to get the tank recertified each year
    I have to take the tank to a scuba shop to get it filled
    I have to have scuba dive certification

I don't do any total inflation of flat tires, well except the bike tires when I put in a new tube. Typically I need to adjust the 5th wheel tires 5-10psi for each of the 6 wheels. And I adjust the motorcycle tires from time to time. An 80 cubic foot tank filled to 3000psi will last me most of a year.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    Okay, I'll be the odd man out! In the Jeeping community (most off road enthusiasts actually), we air down our tires when we hit the trail, then air back up when we hit pavement. This is for lots of reasons that are not really relevant here. Anyway, I'm a cheap sucker. Literally 10 years ago, I bought a cheap Harbor Freight compressor. With a little care, that thing has lasted I don't know how many trail runs in 10 years. Just this past spring, it finally gave up the ghost. Not bad for a $60 compressor! And you know what? I replaced it with another one. Everybody loves the big name brands, but sometimes there are other viable options...

https://www.harborfreight.com/12volt...sor-69285.html

John

Edited to add: The only thing I do to this compressor, is before each use, I unscrew the air filter and give the compressor a quick squirt of WD40.
    I have had this same little compressor for 9 years and have used it a lot. I have a couple of the high dollar ones on systems in my trucks but this Harbor Freight one has always been reliable for a portable. If it does I will replace with another.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hmmmm . . . water separator . . . I have one on my big shop compressor, but never though of this for my new "truck" compressor. Off to find one of these this afternoon . Thanks Rob!

(another) Rob
    One more thing to add to the "to do" list before I pick up my 315RLTS. I have a brand new VIAIR 450P-RV sitting on the dining room table waiting to be put together...off to Lowes I go...
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water Separator & VIAIR 450P-RV Mini-Review

Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post

(another) Rob
    Bought the water separator from Lowes this morning. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-In-l...ilter/50129834

Worked as advertised. See attached pic--there's moisture in the separator after ~10 minutes as I learned how to put air in my dually's tires using the VIAIR. There's also a pic of the separator attached to the VIAIR.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lowes.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	13796Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	13795Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whole.jpg 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	13797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whole line.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	13798

The VIAIR 450P-RV worked, but it's in no hurry to pump up the tires. Grateful they included the long reach air nozzle as the location of the inner rear tire's valve stem was quite the surprise.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Long Reach.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	13799

The case that comes with the VIAIR is disappointing. I have to retain the styrofoam shipping ends (says it right on the foam) in order for the case to retain it's shape. A stiffer case would have been nice. I might end up replacing it with a hard case.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the VIAIR compressor and was tired of the coiled up hose that came with it. On my last trip, I went to my shop to retrieve my "home" air hose to use in place of the coiled hose. To my surprise, and somewhat embarrassment (for not noticing it before), I realized the coiled up hose has both ends with the female adapter chuck, unlike my home hose that has one male and one female end. So....this past weekend I bought a PVC/Rubber 50 foot hose (on clearance at LOWES) and an additional female chuck end, so now I have a regular shop hose that will work with my VIAIR.
    I just wanted to point this out for the others that may have not noticed, or thought about, the connections like I did.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Bought the water separator from Lowes this morning. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-In-l...ilter/50129834

Worked as advertised. See attached pic--there's moisture in the separator after ~10 minutes as I learned how to put air in my dually's tires using the VIAIR. There's also a pic of the separator attached to the VIAIR.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lowes.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	13796Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water.jpg 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	13795Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whole.jpg 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	13797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whole line.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	13798

The VIAIR 450P-RV worked, but it's in no hurry to pump up the tires. Grateful they included the long reach air nozzle as the location of the inner rear tire's valve stem was quite the surprise.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Long Reach.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	13799

The case that comes with the VIAIR is disappointing. I have to retain the styrofoam shipping ends (says it right on the foam) in order for the case to retain it's shape. A stiffer case would have been nice. I might end up replacing it with a hard case.
    I have the Viator 450 as well. I like the idea of the water separator. Any idea how effective it is. Obviously it is getting some moisture out and that’s a positive. One concern is that it appears to have a maximum pressure rating of 120 psi. Below the rating of the Viator which is 150 psi. It now on my list of things to investigate and then buy one.
    Jeff and Gale
    Vancouver, WA
    New - 2020 GMC 3500 Duramax
    Old - 2005 GMC 2500 Duramax
    New - 2021 Solitude 310GK
    Old - 2018 Reflections 303 RLS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast