User Tag List

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    Good ole' Chanute! I went there for tech school spring of '76, and then several times for advanced courses. Remember that pizza place, "Flying Tomato Bro's" or something like that? They delivered pizza in AMC Pacers with a big red tomato on the roof. Fond memories of the time I spent there.

John
    Wife and I were military brats and settled here in Champaign County, in fact she was civil service at the hospital till base closure in 93. You guys wouldn't recognize the place now. The Air Force gave all the housing away for chump change and this brought in a bunch of slum lords that completely changed the complexion of the area. The Village of Rantoul ask for and got control over most of the rest of the old base area. Without the monetary resources to maintain it all areas have fallen in disrepair and neglect. They had to tear down White Hall about 2 years ago, if you have a chance check out this website; https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...air-force-base
    Del & Vickie
    2016 Reflection 337
    2015 GMC Denali 3500HD w/Hips - 4WD

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    US Army - 1988 - 1994

1988 - 1991 8th ID - Baumholder, Germany.
    1991 - 1994 Ft Sam Houston, TX

The Army paid for my college so I tell people I felt obligated to give them 6 years of service - lol. In reality, I wanted to serve my country but I also needed financial help with college so a win-win. It seems like a life time ago.

Recently my wife was organizing my study and noticed I had my ribbons and medals in a box. She asked why I never put them in a shadow box - I always wanted to but never got around to it. So for Christmas that's what she did for me. She didn't know me while I was in the military but she knew I held it in high regard. When she presented the shadow box to me today I became emotional. A lot of memories came back that I haven't thought about it decades. A lot good - some not.

Anyway, thank you to all who have served!
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T'boro Fisher View Post
    Wife and I were military brats and settled here in Champaign County, in fact she was civil service at the hospital till base closure in 93. You guys wouldn't recognize the place now. The Air Force gave all the housing away for chump change and this brought in a bunch of slum lords that completely changed the complexion of the area. The Village of Rantoul ask for and got control over most of the rest of the old base area. Without the monetary resources to maintain it all areas have fallen in disrepair and neglect. They had to tear down White Hall about 2 years ago, if you have a chance check out this website; https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...air-force-base
    Thanks for posting the link Del, although I had seen it a few years ago on one of my Air Force groups. Sad to see for sure!

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Godspeed Sir! Thank You for Your Service

2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    There was a man that would have been interesting to sit and listen to , can you imagine what he has seen in his lifetime?

Brian

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011