Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parking Lot Boondocking - Requirement or No?

The question: Is parking lot boondocking with the slides in that big of a deal for you? Is it required?

The background: My wife and I have decided to down size and spend at least a couple of years full timing with the goal of seeing the lower 48 and maybe some Canada too. While we’re still in the research phase of our purchase process, we’re both pretty sure we’re going to select a GDRV. (374TH and 375RES are on our short list at the moment).

Our initial plan will be to remain stationary during the week (I’ll work remotely and *fingers crossed* keep my current employment) and move on the weekends. In the beginning we plan to stick to RV Parks and resorts (we need to maintain cell coverage for data for work). We might not move every weekend – but we probably won’t stay in one place for more than 2 weeks. In our minds, this means we might wind up doing bigger moves – and since I would only have 2 days to complete any move – we think parking lot boondocking (aka in the parking lot of your favorite super center or rest area) is a necessity. The thought of being able to at least use our own bathroom and bed for rest is appealing. I wonder if we're over thinking this.

So back to my question: Is boondocking with the slides in really something YOU, as a full timer, find necessary? Why?
    2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 3.73 gear ratio, AISIN trans, B&W Companion, Air Lift 7500XL
    2020 Momentum 397TH
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 312BHTS, so with the slides in all we can access is the bathroom and front bedroom. So far it hasn't been an issue, but we haven't boondocked in parking lots where putting slides out is frowned on. Reason we haven't boondocked like that yet is it was still winter across the country when we were doing most of our traveling so we opted for hookups. Will be warmer on our next move so we may find it to be a hinderance not being able to access the kitchen at least while parked.
    Chris and Karen - currently on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula

Roaming the country full time with our 2018 312BHTS Reflection behind a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins and two preschoolers who are highly addicted to camping.

Follow our adventures @brownsignjunkies

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overnights in parking lots, most don't want you to look like you're camping out and prefer you to not open up for the night. Don't forget also some Walmart lots don't allow overnighting so it's good practice to call ahead, they will usually direct you to the area that overnight parking is prefered. You could ask if opening the slides is ok.
    On the road access is important to us so we gravitate to floor plans that allow access to bed, fridge and bath without opening the slides. Sometimes we will open the kitchen slide to make a quick bite to eat but slide it back in.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opening slides depends on the situation. Our current unit is usable with the slides in except it is difficult to use the closets without opening the bedroom slide, we have to kneel on the bed to get into the closets. So, if we can park where that side is next to a curb without a sidewalk or something similar we open it.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Parking Lot Boondocking - Requirement or No?

We’ve spent the night at several Walmarts across the Western United States and never had any problems putting our slides out, however my wife always calls the store prior to our arrival to get permission.

We actually just arrived in a mall parking lot right next to a river in Eugene Oregon. We’re staying 2 nights, which is the max allowed.
    Mall security patrols very regularly (about every 15 mins). You fill out a form and put it on your dash and they keep track of everyone staying here. Security personnel are very friendly and professional and gave us a number we could call 24 hours a day, saying if we had any problems with anyone in the parking lot bothering us, they’ll take care of it immediately.

Here’s a couple photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rarely boondock, but have on occasion. With the 376 you have to open at least 1 slide to get to anything. As a result I am very careful about the effect on others the open slide has.

Typically I find an RV park and pay the fee. That's the way we set up the budget before we started out.

In reading your original post I see you contemplating remote computer work. I would recommend that you practice this a little bit before you pull the trigger. Typically RV park internet service is too slow for many types of remote computer work. Read all the posts on broadband (mifi, wifi) and boosters. Many do it, but we have been many places where throughput was agonizingly slow.

You may want to consider the full timers 2-2-2 rule. That means that you don’t drive over 200 miles in a day, that you’re in your site by 2pm, and that you stay for at least 2 days.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I see it; if you are considering a lot of overnight stays without un-hitching, I would look for a unit that allowed bedroom/bathroom access with out opening a slide. If you feel you need fridge access too, consider that. However, I can say first hand (I can NOT access my fridge), fridge access for one night can be pretty easily worked around with a cooler.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    In reading your original post I see you contemplating remote computer work. I would recommend that you practice this a little bit before you pull the trigger. Typically RV park internet service is too slow for many types of remote computer work. Read all the posts on broadband (mifi, wifi) and boosters. Many do it, but we have been many places where throughput was agonizingly slow.
    There are plenty of examples on YT with couples doing exactly what my wife and I are planning - so I know it can be done with good planning. I am not hedging any plans on utilizing RV park internet. Fortunately I will be allowed to use use an external antenna based router (Cradlepoint) with multiple SIM cards from both AT&T and Verizon. We will be limited to staying in places with known good 4G LTE coverage from at least one of those two carriers - but that's OK - it's a compromise I can live with.

The whole reason for my original question is because I'm leaning towards the 374TH - and there's no access to anything (except maybe the garage) with the slides in. If we wanted to do a two day travel weekend we wouldn't really be able to do much in the camper. I am beginning to think it's not that important and maybe I'm keying in on this when there are other things that are far more important....
    2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 3.73 gear ratio, AISIN trans, B&W Companion, Air Lift 7500XL
    2020 Momentum 397TH
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our biggest issue is the heat. Last night we boondocked and at 9:00 PM it was still 95 degrees outside which would make it over 100 in the RV. Seating on big parking asphalt parking lots the temps can really climb. We have an onboard generator that used between 1/2 and 1 gallon an hour of diesel but we have 60 to 70 gallons available so not a problem for us but you might want to think about that. Normally I can park so slide out on one side isn't a issue.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    We’ve spent the night at several Walmarts across the Western United States and never had any problems putting our slides out, however my wife always calls the store prior to our arrival to get permission.

We actually just arrived in a mall parking lot right next to a river in Eugene Oregon. We’re staying 2 nights, which is the max allowed.
    Mall security patrols very regularly (about every 15 mins). You fill out a form and put it on your dash and they keep track of everyone staying here. Security personnel are very friendly and professional and gave us a number we could call 24 hours a day, saying if we had any problems with anyone in the parking lot bothering us, they’ll take care of it immediately.

Here’s a couple photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey bud, you here for the Grateful Dead concert? That building in the picture is right behind my wife's building...one of the upside down looking black buildings. You are right next to the Willamette river and that path will take you on a really nice little walk or ride to some other cool places in Eugene, either way. Good to have you in town my friend and enjoy your stay!
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast