User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raising Sofa to Level Out Sofa Bed ??

I have read through a bunch of posts about the head down attitude of the sleep sofas in many models. We have a 2017 337RLS, and when the missus kicks me out of the bed because of my snoring, I have to resort to the sofa.

I appears that the sofa was meant for a slide (but our unit is not on a slide), so that when the sofa is unfolded the legs would sit on the main floor instead of the slide. I measure our slide about 2" higher than the main floor, and also measure the foot of the bed about 2" high from the head.

I have read the posts about cutting off the metal legs, and also adding a piece of plywood under the 2 cushions nearest the head, but wondering if raising the sofa might accomplish the same thing. The additional height would also allow me to store some taller items under the couch better.

It looks like a pretty straight forward mod. Unscrew the rear frame from the floor and wall, screw down a 2" board (or maybe just raise it 1 1/2"......width of a 2x4) screw the frame back to the spacer and wall, install a spacer under the L brackets and also front feet.

Anyone do anything like that ??

Thanks, Chap
    Chap, Joy, and furbaby Argus
    2017 F350 diesel, 4x4, crew cab, short bed
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    B&W slider for Ford 5th wheel prep package

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chap - Never thought of doing this. Having had that couch out a couple of times, I can't see why this wouldn't work. Wish I had thought of this for the extra storage height! Our couch is only attached to the floor with two small brackets. The couch actually has "feet" on the four corners that could be extended. (You 2017 may be different that our 2015, but likely very similar.)

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Chap - Never thought of doing this. Having had that couch out a couple of times, I can't see why this wouldn't work. Wish I had thought of this for the extra storage height! Our couch is only attached to the floor with two small brackets. The couch actually has "feet" on the four corners that could be extended. (You 2017 may be different that our 2015, but likely very similar.)

Rob
    Upon further investigation, our sofa also sits on 4 feet with the 2 small L brackets securing it. What I thought was the sofa frame screwed to the floor and the back wall just appears to be something to join the wall and floor. Geez, the L brackets don't seem to be very substantial in securing the sofa, especially in a hard braking situation, or really bumpy roads. I will probaby add a couple of extra brackets when raising the sofa.

And yes, I think I will try to raise the sofa to see how it works, and report back here.

Thanks, for the reply, Rob.

Chap
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thinking, Chap! Much easier than cutting legs, etc. The sofa in my 315RLTS is the same unit and is only attached to the floor with 2 L brackets and screws, no wall attachment. The only issue I see is raising the cushion height of the sofa could keep your feet off the floor while sitting. Easy to try it out and I'll do so before our next trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    The only issue I see is raising the cushion height of the sofa could keep your feet off the floor while sitting.
    I figure our shorter guest might not like the raised sofa, but I am 6’2 and my wife is 5’10, so I think it will be a good fit for us.

Besides, my bad knees should be able to launch me off the raised sofa better.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, next best thing to a standing assist chair.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am curious on this as well. My son stayed on our a couple weeks ago and I thought it strange when we folded it out and the back part was so low.
    If this works it will be great.
    Thanks
    Brian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to add a 2x4 to the sleeper sofa in our old rig. No problem with doing it at all.

Big Mike
    Mike and Mary Beth, Hopatcong, NJ
    2015 Momentum 385th with MorRyde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes
    2014 Dodge Dually
    2014 Harley Ultra Limited (Big Mike's)
    2015 Indian Chieftain (Mary Beth's)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The frustrating thing is that GDRV has been building like this since start of production 5 years ago. This gets brought to their attention at every Rally.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got er done yesterday afternoon and today !! It was a good little project to work on in the ac while it was 90 something out.

I cut blocks from an old 2x4 that was twisted and bowed....I figured short blocks the size of the feet was good way to use that board.

I stained and put a satin finish on the front spacers. The stain does not match the best..........it is hard to match the cherry finish of the "paper" on the legs.

I screwed in the feet with the new spacers with longer screws, trying to line up the old screw holes. I did not mark the feet when the came off, so I had to pre-fit everything to make sure the holes lined up with the previous imprints.

I thought about blocking the old brackets, but I wanted to add extra brackets anyway, so I just bought 4 new longer L brackets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1844.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	13634

I have since removed the small brackets.

I did not measure the position of the sofa before removing........bad Chappy !!! I tried to set the feet in the previous indentations in the floor, but apparently I failed measurably. The dinette slide rubbed the sofa cushions when closing. I then moved the sofa to where the arms were touching the back wall, redid the brackets and all seems good now.

The sofa bed feels much better now, without the extreme head down attitude. The leather sofa seat still sits a bit higher than the next section, and of course nothing I did would change that. That might be good for a back sleeper, but still seems a bit awkward. I may try what someone else did on another thread and put a board under the head and torso sections to raise those a bit more. For the time being, I am going to see how it sleeps once the missus gets enough of my snoring during our next trip.

Some observations:

I looks like raising the sofa any higher that 1 1/2" would cause the back to ride on the window seal. The back on our sofa now rides about 1/4" below the window seal.

Whatever is under the front of the sofa is now visible. The missus suggested getting some black poster board and staple it to the inside of the sofa to hide stuff stored under the sofa.

As Chiefblueman speculated, raising the couch might cause shorter people to not be able to comfortable put their feet on the floor while sitting on the sofa. For the missus and I, it sits great, and I now have my standing assist chair.

And now for the finished product..........please ignore the scenery from the back window.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1846.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	13635
    2017 Reflection 337RLS

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast