Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I being overly cautious?

I expect to be taking delivery of an Imagine 2970RL tomorrow and the dealer agreed to upgrading me to the Equalizer hitch (they originally recommended the Fastway E2, saying the Equalizer was overkill for our setup). Hitch + install = $820.

I値l be towing with a Ram 2500, max hitch weight of around 3000 so I知 not concerned with that. I知 assuming they池e going to try and give me the 10k/1k Equalizer, I知 wondering if I should push for the 12K/1.2k version.

The Imagine has specs:
    UVW: 7324 lbs
    Hitch Weight: 795 lbs
    GVWR: 8995 lbs

The hitch weight listed is just about 11% of UVW so 11% of GVWR = 990 lbs. Close but under 1000 lbs, the lower version of the Equalizer should be okay.

Most other places list the hitch weight as more like 13% and if I use that number, the loaded hitch weight will be around 1170.

I知 hearing that GD is now providing a sheet with all units listing the actual weight of that specific unit and the tongue weight. Is that correct? I知 seeing vague references to it but nothing concrete. I値l be on the lookout for that but given the numbers above, how hard should I be pushing for the higher weight rated Equalizer?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perrien,

You would probably be good with the 10/1k, but since you're close and there isn't a huge price difference between the two, I'd opt for the heavier hitch. I tow my Springdale with the 12/1.2k Equalizer but I'm a little heavier than you with a GVWR of a little over 9.5k. Additionally, I carry a 700lb ATV in the bed of my truck when towing. It's not only tongue weight that will affect the load on the weight distribution hitch, but also any/all loads in the bed of your truck. Also, for what it's worth, we have been very pleased with the Equalizer and have been towing with it for over 10 years. The sway control aspect of it is effective. Just make sure you keep grease on the friction surfaces and periodically torque the tension bolts per the instructions. Safe travels and good luck with the new rig!

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    Remember that a battery and propane will add at least 100 lbs to the hitch weight. I would get the higher capacity version.

HTH,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Imagine 2950RL and the Equalizer. Yeah been there done that. The advertised tongue weight is 795, my as built from the GD factory tongue weight is 902#. My unloaded tongue weight is 1000# with the battery an full propane tanks, so no in my opinion the Equalizer 1000 is not enough hitch. You dont have anything loaded into the storage compartment yet or under the bed storage, and the fresh water holding tank is 3 feet back from the beginning of the front cap and that added water weight will be very close to the hitch. The equalizer 1200 would be the minimal, I have the 1400 just in case I want to carry some fresh water.

Normally fully loaded to go camping (no fresh water) our tongue weight is 1200#. I have a sherline tongue weight scale and I use it a lot.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too would go with the 1200 lb bars. That's what I used on my 2950RL last year was pulling with an F250. That model trailer has some serious tongue weight, I had two batteries and the propane bottles as well. Loaded up front compartment and it put as much sag (2 inches or so) on my truck as the new fifth wheel with more
    pin weight. The Imagines are super nice trailers but man they have some tongue weight!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got the Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 hitch for our Imagine 2800BH, which is a lighter trailer than your 2970RL. It's not hard to get the trailer loaded all the way up to it's GVWR, so it would be smart to plan for the heaviest situation you might encounter. The rating of the hitch is it's maximum capacity, and it's not going to cause any problems if your hitch's capacity is a couple hundred pounds more than what your actual hitch weight is. I wouldn't recommend anything lighter than a 1,200 / 12,000 hitch for your trailer, and maybe even heavier as others have mentioned.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More is better in this situation. Buy the biggest truck and the best hitch you can afford.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perrien View Post
    I知 hearing that GD is now providing a sheet with all units listing the actual weight of that specific unit and the tongue weight. Is that correct? I知 seeing vague references to it but nothing concrete. I値l be on the lookout for that but given the numbers above, how hard should I be pushing for the higher weight rated Equalizer?
    I can confirm that I received such a document with my 2018 2970RL delivered a month ago. See link below. (VIN erased)

LINK

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m hearing that GD is now providing a sheet with all units listing the actual weight of that specific unit and the tongue weight. Is that correct? I’m seeing vague references to it but nothing concrete. I’ll be on the lookout for that but given the numbers above, how hard should I be pushing for the higher weight rated Equalizer?[/QUOTE]

My understanding is, they have always provided this sheet for every unit they manufacturer however some reported they didn't get one. It is supposed to be in the black GDRV bag you get with your unit that also has all the manuals in it. Attached is mine for our 2950RL VIN deleted. Emily Staley of GDRV had a post on bookface just the other day talking about these weight sheets. If you cant find your weight sheet, for whatever reason, they say you can contact GDRV with your VIN and they can look it up and send you a copy.

Understand that the hitch weight does not include a battery or full propane tanks, these are added at the dealerships. I have a sherline tongue weight scale and I weighed our tongue weight just as we bought it with nothing loaded in the RV. Our tongue weight was 1000#.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails As Built.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 07-04-2018 at 07:01 AM. Reason: additional contect
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ALWAYS get a little more than you think you may need when towing, within reason. If it's close, go bigger to account for real life. When you are towing up and down steep grades, in high wind and everything else you're going to run into you will be happy you did. White knuckling because your setup isn't quite up to par or is just the bare minimum that is "recommended" by some schmuck at a dealership who may have never actually towed anything in his life is not worth a few hundred bucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast