User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Water tank siphoning or purging while traveling

Can someone from the factory please comment on this.

OK - took a short trip today (about 10 miles) to weight the unit and get tires balanced. To get a good weight I had the water tank FULL when I left the house and both gray tanks 1/3 full from my sanitizing, etc. After my short trip to town and back I discovered my water tank was now 1/2 full. I could see it dribbling as I made turns and a lot dribbled out on the scale. So I have no choice but to put a valve on the tank overflow tube, I plan to make a label and added it to the KantLeak/Nautilus box to remind me to open it while filling and camped, but if I leave the KantLeak/Nautilus on power fill the street check valve should open under vacuum while traveling - correct? And If I leave a faucet open would that relieve pressure when changing elevation? Hopefully someone from the factory know something.

BTW I also found out both gray valves leak - good thing I bought those end cap valves folks recommended.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that overflow tube also serves as the vent when you are filling the tank. Make sure it's open as you fill or you may pressurize your fresh tank.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I believe that overflow tube also serves as the vent when you are filling the tank. Make sure it's open as you fill or you may pressurize your fresh tank.

Rob
    Rob - you are very correct. That's why I printed out the labels to remind myself when filling or dry camping.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    Rob,

Also make sure it’s open when using the water from the tank to prevent it from collapsing.

Jerry
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Rob,

Also make sure it’s open when using the water from the tank to prevent it from collapsing.

Jerry
    Correct. That's the reason I brought it forward to where I could reach it easily. It should also be opened when draining the fresh water tank.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other issue (not trying to bash on you) is altitude changes with the expansion and contraction of the air. The more air in the tank, the more it's going to happen. Take a look at a water bottle when the lid is sealed tight as you go up and down in altitude. Same thing happens to the tank if it's sealed off.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As the dealer will need to drop the belly wrap to fix the leaking gray tank valves I plan to try and install what is called an air/vack valve (has a float to prevent water escaping but lets air in and out) above the tank T'eed in with the drain relocation. The air/vack will solve the operational issues while the drain valve will stop the draining while traveling. This is something GD should consider.

Thoughts

My new system did work for my short trip

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't want to prevent any water from coming out because you don't want to blow the tank when it gets full.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Correct - that is why it will be on a T in the line and be placed at the high point. The lower pipe will still be to the vent drain valve, and when that valve is closed the air/vac will handle and issues on use and change in altitude. The trick will be to get it above the tank top. Ill know more when the belly is off. Its hard to enplane without a picture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast