User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile First Trip to South Dakota and Wyoming

Planning on being in Parts of South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming from August 16 until September 23. I know it is impossible to predict but was wondering about the possibility of wildfires this time of year and if there is a better time to visit. will be travelling from South Ga. Thanks for any and all info

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wildfires are certainly a concern while traveling. We re-routed the year Yosemite had the ridge fire. Last summer we were up in Canada when all those fires popped up, some roads got closed for a while and there was a lot of smoke around, but we got to visit the places we had planned on visiting.

If you google wildfire maps you will see several organizations that report fires. This makes it pretty easy to monitor fires. I have found them to be relatively localized and easy to avoid. It's a bummer if the place you want to go see is fighting a fire, but that is part of life. Right up there with getting your s'mores drenched in a sudden rain shower.

As far as time of year goes, anytime the ground is not covered with snow. Areas that are experiencing a drought are more prone to wildfires.

I never consider wildfires when I am planning a trip. But I do watch the local alerts during travel.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to our neck of the woods. Yeah, we can get wildfires, but the fire crews are pretty dang good. There are plenty of places to stay in and around The Hills that you could avoid areas that might be on fire. If nothing else, hang out in the Badlands or go into WY.

Scot "Zee"
    If you're gonna go, go with a smile!

USAF Retired
    Started Camping: 1 June 2018
    2018 Imagine 3170BH a.k.a. Storm
    towed by: 2018 F350 Lariat DRW PS FX4 in Tri-coat Plat White (tinted windows and Gator Tri-Fold tonneau cover). a.k.a. Bolt
    Anderson Anti-sway WD Hitch.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the info. Looks like trip is still on . Looking forward to seeing your part of the country. Happy and Blessed travels to all

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope your trip is going well and safe. We're getting lots of rain these days. (Amazing). lots of flooding. We just got 1.4 inches in a lil over an hour a few days ago. THAT is NOT the norm. this summer has been WEIRD!!! If you have any questions, let us know.

Scot "Zee"
    If you're gonna go, go with a smile!

USAF Retired
    Started Camping: 1 June 2018
    2018 Imagine 3170BH a.k.a. Storm
    towed by: 2018 F350 Lariat DRW PS FX4 in Tri-coat Plat White (tinted windows and Gator Tri-Fold tonneau cover). a.k.a. Bolt
    Anderson Anti-sway WD Hitch.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny&Vickie View Post
    Planning on being in Parts of South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming from August 16 until September 23. I know it is impossible to predict but was wondering about the possibility of wildfires this time of year and if there is a better time to visit. will be travelling from South Ga. Thanks for any and all info
    Would not let the very remote possibility of fires in SD affect your trip planning. I have lived in SD nearly my entire 6 + decades and never had camping/travel here impacted by fire. Most of the state is farm and ranch land with the Black Hills and a few other areas more forested. Yes, the late summer/early fall season can be quite dry and thus more susceptible to fires but even small fires rarely happen.

Enjoy your trip and time here (as it will be a great time of the year to visit SD) and your travels all around the country.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 what Scott Zee said. Just made a trip though MT,SD, and WY to see the kids, grandkids and mom and devil's tower. Lots of things and places to do/see. Plan on being back in MT around Sept 20th for step father's 90 BD and more fishing with the grandson. Have fun on your trip. Have rerouted due to fires but normally do it on the fly. Watched a fire in Likely, CA a few years ago, was something to see
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airrace View Post
    X2 what Scott Zee said. Just made a trip though MT,SD, and WY to see the kids, grandkids and mom and devil's tower. Lots of things and places to do/see. Plan on being back in MT around Sept 20th for step father's 90 BD and more fishing with the grandson. Have fun on your trip. Have rerouted due to fires but normally do it on the fly. Watched a fire in Likely, CA a few years ago, was something to see
    Thanks so much to everyone for their encouragement and advice on our upcoming trip. We are really looking forward to our time in this part of the country. Sometimes you have mixed feelings on going places you have never been, but after responses we have received it is easy to see RVr's are just one big family and always there
    to help. Safe and Blessed travels to all. if anyone ever heads to Georgia let us know if we can help

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Wildfires are certainly a concern while traveling. We re-routed the year Yosemite had the ridge fire. Last summer we were up in Canada when all those fires popped up, some roads got closed for a while and there was a lot of smoke around, but we got to visit the places we had planned on visiting.

If you google wildfire maps you will see several organizations that report fires. This makes it pretty easy to monitor fires. I have found them to be relatively localized and easy to avoid. It's a bummer if the place you want to go see is fighting a fire, but that is part of life. Right up there with getting your s'mores drenched in a sudden rain shower.

As far as time of year goes, anytime the ground is not covered with snow. Areas that are experiencing a drought are more prone to wildfires.

I never consider wildfires when I am planning a trip. But I do watch the local alerts during travel.
    It's about how I do it. You can leave today with clear roads and have a huge fire and roads closed within 24 hrs. I can tell you, having spent the past 2 1/2 months in the Black Hills that all the locals are hyper sensitive to fire protection after that big fire that they had last year. It seems like they're doing a lot more "safe space" clearing than I've seen in the past.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might add this one to your computer or phone. It's a government website covering many agencies and easy to use. My son is a CDF (Cal-Fire) firefighter. You never know when something will break out, but here in the West, it's happening very often. Hope that helps.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

Quote Originally Posted by Benny&Vickie View Post
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast