User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 Volt Battery Coversion

The Wife and I do a lot of dry camping so I decided to convert from a single 12v battery to double 6v golf cart batteries. I did this conversion on my last trailer and was very happy with the durability and capacity of the double 6's. I had a few things I wanted to accomplish with this project one of which was re-wiring the battery disconnect by running a new express cable from the positive battery terminal to the source side of the disconnect. I want to be able to shutoff EVERYTHING on that trailer when I open that disconnect. I purchased a NOCO HM408 Marine grade battery box to fit the two very large 6 volt batteries and fabricated a base and bracket out of 3/16 plate steel and flat stock to secure the battery box to the trailer and then be able to secure and lock the batteries inside the box, my Wife calls it the Fort Knox Battery Box! I upgraded all the cables from the batteries to the trailer with #4 AWG copper welding cable and copper compression terminals and made a "pig tail" quick connect plug that I can plug a 12v compressor, solar panel, battery charger or whatever straight to the battery box. On my Imagine trailer I had to clean-up and re-run some wiring and propane lines to accommodate the new bracket so it would sit down on the existing angle brackets for the old battery box between the frame rails of the trailer. It was a very tight fit but it all came together and works like a charm. Regards! Coop

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battbox_1737.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	13682Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battbox_1738.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	13683Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battbox_1736.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	13684
    Steve & Cindy
    2018 Imagine 2250RK
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax Denali

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope to do the exact same thing with my Momentum 350M except I am limited to the interior space where the Onan generator is and may have to contend with hydrogen gas when the batteries are being charged. I also hope the 6 volt in series doesn't affect the generator starter. I also want to "turn off" completely. Right now there's continuous power to carbon monoxide detector and wireless bluetooth control from what I can tell. I hope I have the same success you had. Thanks for the battery box P/N.
    Scott & Deb
    2017 Momentum 350M toy hauler fully loaded with full paint job.
    2017 Ford F450 Lariat

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scoganz View Post
    I hope to do the exact same thing with my Momentum 350M except I am limited to the interior space where the Onan generator is and may have to contend with hydrogen gas when the batteries are being charged. I also hope the 6 volt in series doesn't affect the generator starter. I also want to "turn off" completely. Right now there's continuous power to carbon monoxide detector and wireless bluetooth control from what I can tell. I hope I have the same success you had. Thanks for the battery box P/N.
    Your welcome Scott! I am not sure about the Gen set starter and cranking amps, the 6volt system is awesome for pure amp hour draw as they can take a lot of use and abuse, the capability to totally kill power to the trailer is great IF you remember to open the disconnect. A couple of weeks after we used the trailer I brought it home to do some work on it and found I had forgotten to open the disconnect and between the Co detector, Bluetooth and the rear observation camera that stayed on constantly (I rewired to trailer lights) I was down to 3.4 volts. After a hour on shore power the batteries were back up to 13V plus. Maybe some one out there can answer to your Gen set starter question, good luck!
    Steve & Cindy
    2018 Imagine 2250RK
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax Denali