User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection 29RS Washer/Dryer Mod

Hi all. My name is Nicole and I am getting ready to purchase a 2018 29RS this month. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how I can get a washer/dryer into it! As soon as I buy the trailer I will be purchasing the membership here and can hopefully post pictures and info on my journey. In the meantime I was hoping to get some ideas and/or feedback from people especially those who own a 29RS and may know more about the configuration of things such as water/drain line locations.

First a little about me:
    I'm in the process of selling my house and will be full timing it in my trailer hopefully by early next month. I will be traveling solo and working from my trailer. I am pretty sure I will be purchasing the 29RS as I am adamant about keeping my 5th wheel under 31', thus my choice to go with the 29RS despite it being hard to put a washer/dryer in.

So here are my thoughts on how to make the 29RS work for me:

- Remove back couch/end tables and put a washer on one side, vented dryer on the other with custom built cabinets to cover them and a desk spanning the top. Pluses: Provides a nice working area for my computers. Concerns: Where to tie into water/grey water and how much grief that would cause? I probably wouldn't use laundry while boon-docking maybe I would be able to do some sort of hookup to drain directly when I do have proper hookups?? It looks like water should already be run to that back corner since there is a spray port there (only cold water??). Would the units suffer extra wear and tear by being at the back of coach and/or cause weight distribution issues?

- Replace island with slightly bigger island placing a non vented washer/dryer combo right next to sink. (Or possibly vented through floor?) Pluses: My thinking here is that there should already be cold/hot water and drainage nearby and I would only have to expand the island a little bit in order to accommodate the size of the unit. Concerns: This will require a new island base and counter top, I would want the styling to match the rest of the coach. Also, based on research I'm really trying to avoid the combo unit especially the non-vented one. I haven't seen the 29RS with both slides in yet, is there even room to expand the island?

- I would be willing to give up the cabinet area opposite the bathroom wall but based on my measurements I don't see how it could fit there since it is narrow and the slides need to close there...

- Any other better ideas anyone may have. My preference is to have a separate vented dryer but I will take what I can get to be able to do laundry "in house"

My big hold up on pulling the trigger on this is it is a pretty big mod for a brand new trailer. It has me second guessing in my choice of trailer and going with an older used model of a different brand I found in a sub 31' length with w/d hookup already in place that is located in the bathroom.

I'm super excited about starting my new adventure and can already see that this is a great community with a lot of kind and helpful people. Hope to join you full time soon!

Thanks ~Nicole
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Possibilities.jpg  

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicole
    Not sure what to say here, we have a 2018 29RS and you have a couple good ideas, and also concerns. I believe that putting them in the back would cause a weight issue. You could put the single unit at the back end of the island and not change the island at all, outside of running the plumbing thru the end. This would be the best place because you would have hot-cold water and drain to grey tank. Then you could remove the couch and add a desk if you wanted. when the slides are in the only room between them is the width of the island and you can not access the back end of the island toward the couch with both slides in. just my opinion here.

Brian

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must REALLY want a washer dryer! They certainly are convenient. Ours currently has none although previous RV did have a washer and a dryer. So far DW is OK without a combo unit which I suggested. We are back to using the campground facilities (not always a pleasant experience) but find that we meet others that way & pass the time.

Personally I think a washer/dryer in the living area would be noisy and would be way too much work/remodel.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Country Campers Thanks! I hadn't thought about putting it at the back end of the island. I'll have to go measure it again but I like that idea in that I can keep the island pretty much as is. Although I believe there is a vent there that might have to be rerouted if I did it that way. If I do it that way maybe I can just do something like a butchers block top to cover it without having to put a new counter top on the whole island and have additional food prep area to boot.

@traveldawg Yes I REALLY want a washer/dryer! Haha. It does seem to be more work than I initially intended. If I didn't love everything else about the 29RS so much I wouldn't be trying so hard to make it work. I found that NuWa made a model around 2006/2007, the 29.5 FKTG that had pre-plumbed washer/dryer hookup in the bathroom. However, I was wanting something newer and still under warranty as this is my first time full timing and I want to minimize stress that could potential occur by older stuff breaking/need more maintenance. I realize that even the new stuff will have issues too and I'm prepared for that but the less to worry about the better!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it work to put it in the bathroom in the area that is now the pass through to the bedroom?

Plumbing should be close by and easy to install. You would lose the door from the bedroom to the bath but, to me, that is wasted space, ne real need for two doors into a small bathroom.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicole - You might want to consider setting aside whatever is in the space where you decide to put these appliances, rather than modifying the original furniture or cabinetry. This would allow you to return everything to original, should you ever decide to sell the trailer. Plus, the original cabinetry does not lend itself well to modification. It is nailed together, vinyl covered, OSB or particle board.

I could see a custom built longer island with the washer under one end and the dryer under the other. You might have to get by with a much smaller sink to bring these appliances as close together as possible, but counter space would get bigger. Appliance width would be the critical dimension, to make sure the slides will still come all the way in. This also puts your appliances where there is electricity, hot&cold water and a drain to the grey tank. The dryer vent could go out through the floor . . . just watch out for the grey tank under there!

This would give you a self-contained washer/dryer kitchen island that could even go to a different trailer one day.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicole
    I was in my camper and I think you could fit a combo on the back of the island. There is a heating register on the bottom of the island on that end but it blows air out the sides as well so closing that off would not hurt. You may also want to remove the island and make where it mounts to the floor better, these are built on an assembly line and with less than ideal materials. If you had a combo that vented inside it may be ok, right above the range and sink is a vented fan that would help with removing the heat. I would be a little concerned with trying to maintain a nice camper and keep things original but also would make it your own. When you sign the papers just like an automobile you loose money, and keep loosing while you own it so why not be happy and make it what you want. Or maybe the some other brand is a much better fit. I am sure you will make the right choice for you.

Enjoy which ever you choose.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @DougW9876 I wish I could put it there! Unfortunately there is a slide that closes into that area.
    @Cate&Rob I agree if I can avoid modifying any of the original stuff I will. At the same time though if I must alter things to get it the way I want I will, but only if it looks just as good or better than the original. As @Country Campers says I'm going to loose money either way so I want what I want haha. If it is easy enough to do then my best option may be to lift the whole island out for a possible re-install later and just build what I want/need there. The color of the island is different from the rest of the cabinets anyway so if I stick with the same general style it shouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Another thing I was thinking... I haven't seen it in person yet but it looks like there is a new Reflection 150 Series 273MK floorplan in 2019. This has a desk area right next to the sink that looks like it could be easily converted to hold a w/d unit and it has a ton of counter space. But it doesn't have the dual opposing slides that I like since it makes the inside look so big. Has anyone with opposing slides ever had problems with fitting into spaces with both slides out?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and feedback. I'm getting anxious to get out of my house and start my travels!
    Last edited by nicoler; 07-05-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicole
    Most sites are large enough for opposing slides. There are some cases that you may only get one out. It is important to look at site or tell campground you have them so they can recommend a site to fit.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2018 29RS and love it. I can't imagine where you'd put a W/D inside. Could you fit one in the basement with outside access?
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2016 RAM 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel,
    Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Hitch Prep
    B&W Companion Hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast