User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How to install exterior antenna for satellite radio?

I've got an old Audiovox SIRPNP2 shuttle unit with a lifetime Sirius subscription that I would like to use in our travel trailer. The Jensen JWM40 stereo/DVD unit in our Imagine 2800BH has RCA audio inputs on the rear and a 3.5mm auxiliary input on the front, so it would be easy to connect the audio output from our Sirius tuner through the trailer's audio system. Power for the satellite radio tuner is also easily accessed near the entertainment center too.

I just need to figure out how to mount an exterior antenna for the satellite radio, and how to route the antenna wire into the vicinity of the entertainment center.

Any experience or suggestions for doing this?
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my last RV I was able to leave the satellite radio antenna inside and it picked up fine. If not could you run it where the cable comes up?
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe - I wrestled with the same situation and discovered that if I put the satellite antenna on a bracket up close to the interior of the slide top, I could get reasonable reception . . . even through the slide topper above. Of course, if it has rained and there is a puddle on the topper, I have to dump this before I can listen to the radio .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the above. Since there is not metal in the roof of a GD, it should work fine close to but under the roof deck.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tried out holding the satellite radio antenna up against the ceiling of the trailer, and sure enough, I can get 1 bar of reception. I would have never considered trying it with the antenna inside the trailer. Thanks guys!

I'll probably end up mounting the antenna up close to the ceiling on the backside of the TV cabinet.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have XM in my 5er. I ran an extension XM wire from the docking station down thru the cabinet and under the frame to the rear of the 5er. I installed an outdoor elec outlet box and keep the female end in it. When I get to our camp spot I use another XM antenna wire and plug it into the female end at the rear. That allows me to position the XM antennae anywhere needed to receive a signal. We camp in the forests most of the time so I need to be able to set the antennae in various locations. This setup has worked for 6 seasons.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which kit did you guys use for your xm?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Onyx Plus with the vehicle kit. I have a 12V plug behind the tv that I plug in to. That way I don't need shore power to use it like a home kit would require.