User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RV Garage/Barn

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my barn, this was originally built in 1995, then when the Reflection came along I had to add 24 feet to the back. I think altogether I have about $40k in it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 48' x 60' pole barn with 14' high doors 15' wide, one on each end. It has rock floor (buckshot and rock dust) and houses mowers, boat, wood splitter, truck and right now a second 5th wheel until I sell it. Won't give an amount I have in it because most is just materials as I built it myself. I was in construction and I was lucky enough to have several items I got as leftover materials on jobs I did.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
    We went with a 28' x 44' x 16' high pole barn, with 13'9" high x 12' wide doors.

The legal height limit on most US roads is 13'6" high, so that is why we decide to go with the 13'9" doors. For that height of door, you probably need a 16' ceiling. The wide doors allow us a little wiggle room when backing in.

The 44' length is to allow longer RVs to fit (for future owners), as our 337 RLS is probably going to be the biggest RV we even have.

We wanted to keep the smallest footprint possible for aesthetic purposes on our 1/2 acre lot, and not block our view any more then neccesary.............plus to keep costs down. We wanted it big enough to allow some room to move around when we have the Jeep, truck and camper in the garage, and the size has worked out good for us.

Attachment 13727

Nice looking garage Chap. Ours is actually a 50' X 50" metal building. We have a dip right before the approach for water run off and the 14' door is needed in our case. We had a diesel pusher when we built it and the 12' wide door wasn't a problem. Now our Momentum and truck is 20' longer than the MH and I no longer have a straight shot at backing in, so a 14' wide door would help a lot in my case.

Our sidewalls are 18' (4' above the door) for wind bracing...yeah it's tall, real tall.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shanes318 View Post
    Here is my barn, this was originally built in 1995, then when the Reflection came along I had to add 24 feet to the back. I think altogether I have about $40k in it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Sweet !!

Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    Nice looking garage Chap.
    Thanks !
    Chap, Joy, and furbaby Argus
    2017 F350 diesel, 4x4, crew cab, short bed
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    B&W slider for Ford 5th wheel prep package

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is a minimalist approach. I already have other buildings and built just for the 5th wheel. It is 40X18, 16' tall with a 14' roll up door.

Pictures show my 303RLS inside with the slides out to get an idea of how small a building could be to still have the slides out for packing, maintenance and cleaning

John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting closer to pulling the trigger. Will my imagine fit through a 12 ft garage door?
    2023 Ram 2500 Mega diesel
    2023 Imagine 2910
    Gone but not forgotten:
    2018 Imagine 2400BH - with chaise lounge

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by savage99ss View Post
    Getting closer to pulling the trigger. Will my imagine fit through a 12 ft garage door?
    It will, but unless you have a really pressing reason to stay at 12', go to 14'. Not a big difference when you build, but if you ever get a different rig you'll be covered with a 14' door.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    It will, but unless you have a really pressing reason to stay at 12', go to 14'. Not a big difference when you build, but if you ever get a different rig you'll be covered with a 14' door.
    I'll have to second what John said.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 48 x 36 pole building that I had build. Here are things that I learn and you should consider.

Someone mention a 15 foot door. I am not sure if you can purchase a 15' door. Everything I looked at were in 2 foot panel sections. Also, the taller and the wider the door the more the cost. That being said, I highly recommend that you goes as big as you can. Bigger is even better. Ex: I had one 10 x 10 door for my truck. Yes the truck fits through the door, but now I wished I had made it 10 ft hight and 12 ft wide. When the truck's trailer mirrors are fully extended, it is only a matter off inches left in clearance. On my 14' (high) x 12' (wide) door it is much easier.

Any door will actually be 2 or 3 inches shorter than you think. Ex: My 14 ft door is actually only has a 13' 9" opening. You lose one inch on the concrete floor threshold lip. The top door panel will over lap the header board by 2 inches. My Momentum actually measures 13' 7", not the 13' 5" the factory claims. The first time backing into the building was very slowly, stopping before each A/C to double check that it was going to clear.

Also, plan the spacing of your doors so that once inside the building that you can open your slides and still be able to walk around. This makes routine maintenance, DIY mods, etc., much nicer while inside the building. Loading up your gear, clothing, and food the day before easier. As you can see, I have learn that door selection and placement is a major part of having a building that is usable and enjoyable to own. Plan your doors very carefully and you will be happier in the long run.

45 foot length of building was also mentioned and I agree. I went with 48 foot. My thought was that 45 foot would cover the largest Class A and/or 5th wheel I could purchase. If you ever were to sale the property, this will make the building more desirable. I went with 48' so that you could walk around the unit. Even 48' is tight. Remember the poles (mine are laminated) are 6x6 inches on each end of the building and takes another foot of interior space away.

I did the contracting myself to save money. I did all the county permitting (not that hard), found a builder to do the job on the side, found a retired electrician, I paid a concrete guy in one hundred dollars bills to pour the floor on a weekend, etc., etc.. You get the idea. I did not like the bids that I was quoted for a turnkey build. I had quotes from 37K to 56K. So by doing it myself I got everything done for 29.4K. I had a budget of 30K and needless to say I was a very happy camper.

My advice is go bigger at every dimension that you an afford. No matter how big you will wish that you had more space. I didn't believe it at first because the building looked unbelievably big while being built, but after one year I had it filled. You will notice in the pictures that my Harley has now been regulated to being parked under the nose of the 5th wheel. And one other thing, after it was build, even my wife agreed that we should have done this years before.

Good luck,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2748.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	14144Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2749.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	14145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2750.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	14146
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by el Rojo View Post
    I'll have to second what John said.
    X3. You WILL regret a 12' door in the future. 14' tall at a minimum, do it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    I have a 48 x 36 pole building that I had build. Here are things that I learn and you should consider.

Someone mention a 15 foot door. I am not sure if you can purchase a 15' door. Everything I looked at were in 2 foot panel sections. Also, the taller and the wider the door the more the cost. That being said, I highly recommend that you goes as big as you can. Bigger is even better. Ex: I had one 10 x 10 door for my truck. Yes the truck fits through the door, but now I wished I had made it 10 ft hight and 12 ft wide. When the truck's trailer mirrors are fully extended, it is only a matter off inches left in clearance. On my 14' (high) x 12' (wide) door it is much easier.

Any door will actually be 2 or 3 inches shorter than you think. Ex: My 14 ft door is actually only has a 13' 9" opening. You lose one inch on the concrete floor threshold lip. The top door panel will over lap the header board by 2 inches. My Momentum actually measures 13' 7", not the 13' 5" the factory claims. The first time backing into the building was very slowly, stopping before each A/C to double check that it was going to clear.

Also, plan the spacing of your doors so that once inside the building that you can open your slides and still be able to walk around. This makes routine maintenance, DIY mods, etc., much nicer while inside the building. Loading up your gear, clothing, and food the day before easier. As you can see, I have learn that door selection and placement is a major part of having a building that is usable and enjoyable to own. Plan your doors very carefully and you will be happier in the long run.

45 foot length of building was also mentioned and I agree. I went with 48 foot. My thought was that 45 foot would cover the largest Class A and/or 5th wheel I could purchase. If you ever were to sale the property, this will make the building more desirable. I went with 48' so that you could walk around the unit. Even 48' is tight. Remember the poles (mine are laminated) are 6x6 inches on each end of the building and takes another foot of interior space away.

I did the contracting myself to save money. I did all the county permitting (not that hard), found a builder to do the job on the side, found a retired electrician, I paid a concrete guy in one hundred dollars bills to pour the floor on a weekend, etc., etc.. You get the idea. I did not like the bids that I was quoted for a turnkey build. I had quotes from 37K to 56K. So by doing it myself I got everything done for 29.4K. I had a budget of 30K and needless to say I was a very happy camper.

My advice is go bigger at ever dimension that you an afford. No matter how big you will wish that you had more space. I didn't believe it at first because the building looked unbelievably big while being built, but after one year I had it filled. You will notice in the pictures that my Harley has now be regulated to being parked under the nose of the 5th wheel. And one other thing, after it was build, even my wife agreed that we should have done this years before.

Good luck,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2748.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	14144Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2749.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	14145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2750.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	14146

All VERY good advice. It's amazing how quickly the space fills up.

We want to build a 60 x 80 (ish) structure. Not sure yet if it'll be steel or pole built.
    2019 Momentum 381M
    2018 Denali Dually LB with B&W Companion puck hitch
    Polaris RZR XP1k and Ranger 900XP

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast