User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody Have This Furrion Camera with 7" Display?

I've been researching rear observation camera systems and came across this https://www.furrion.com/store/camera...em-p-1164.html. It has a 7" display which appeals to me. It's a couple hundred bucks pricier than the 4U cam on Amazon. Unfortunately I have not seen any reviews of this system. I tried contacting Furrion twice about if it is the same camera as the one that comes with the Vision 2 observation system with the 4.3" display, and/or if it performs as well. All I've gotten as an answer is that is a "newer, better" system. Looking at the specs of both systems on the furrion website, it does have a larger CCD (.33 vs .25", so different camera), and the wireless range is close to 500 feet vs 300 feet. It appears to be digital as it uses H.264 compression and has a transfer rate of 6Mbps. It can support up to 4 cameras and they have combo clearance light/side cameras available.

Anyway, I'd like to find out how well it works as an observation system (not just backup) at highway speed, from someone who actually has one. I know it's pricier, but it does fit in the furrion mount and looks OEM, better than the 4 U cam adapter that is tacked on over the furrion mount and doesn't cover the whole thing. And, I might want to add side cameras at a later date.

Please, not looking for "you idiot for spending twice as much" responses, just good information from actual owners.

-jj

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW. . . . . I don't have the Furrion but a Rear View Safety system with a 5" monitor that I have mounted to the rear view mirror with rubber bands. In my case I think the 7" monitor would interfere with my field of vision out the windshield. I can still under it to the right front corner of the truck. Just something you may want to consider or maybe cut piece of paper/cardboard to size to determine mounting locations. Love the camera to know when it safe to change lanes. . . . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Joe^^^. I have the vision 2 with the 4.3 display I put it in a clam shell holder that sits on the dash so I can move off to the side when traveling so I can see it but does not block much of the windshield. I also move it in front of steering wheel when backing up. The larger screen would be nice but I'm afraid I would be watching it more than I should,(A.D.D. sets in and the next thing I'm off topic).

Brian

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjinatx View Post
    I've been researching rear observation camera systems and came across this https://www.furrion.com/store/camera...em-p-1164.html. It has a 7" display which appeals to me. It's a couple hundred bucks pricier than the 4U cam on Amazon. Unfortunately I have not seen any reviews of this system. I tried contacting Furrion twice about if it is the same camera as the one that comes with the Vision 2 observation system with the 4.3" display, and/or if it performs as well. All I've gotten as an answer is that is a "newer, better" system. Looking at the specs of both systems on the furrion website, it does have a larger CCD (.33 vs .25", so different camera), and the wireless range is close to 500 feet vs 300 feet. It appears to be digital as it uses H.264 compression and has a transfer rate of 6Mbps. It can support up to 4 cameras and they have combo clearance light/side cameras available.

Anyway, I'd like to find out how well it works as an observation system (not just backup) at highway speed, from someone who actually has one. I know it's pricier, but it does fit in the furrion mount and looks OEM, better than the 4 U cam adapter that is tacked on over the furrion mount and doesn't cover the whole thing. And, I might want to add side cameras at a later date.

Please, not looking for "you idiot for spending twice as much" responses, just good information from actual owners.

-jj

Did you ever purchase this camera? My husband is interested in the one as well because of the size of the screen.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marley89 View Post
    Did you ever purchase this camera? My husband is interested in the one as well because of the size of the screen.
    I have the same question.....I would like the larger screen as well as the side light cameras. I don’t see this system for sale anywhere but the Furrion site directly. Out of stock on amazon and no real hits on google search. Pretty pricey buying it direct.......
    Mike & Maggie
    Paige, Molly, Delaney & Bridget (yes, 4 daughters)
    Chocolate Lab - Seamus
    2019 312BHTS Reflection TT
    2017 F-250 Lariat SCREW Gasser 6.2L, SRW, shortbed
    14k Equal-I-Zer Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I emailed Furrion about this 7” kit to see when will be sold in places besides their website. This is the response I received:

“Good afternoon. The FOS07TAPT is available direct thru Furrion.com however I have heard that it will be available thru retail chains such as Camping World around 11/01/18. Thanks in advance and have a nice day! “

Best regards,

Britney Kelly
    Customer/Tech Support
    U.S.A Innovation Center & Institute of Technology
    52567 Independence Ct. Elkhart, IN 46514
    P: 574-327-6571
    Direct Line: 574-327-2639
    www.furrion.com
    Mike & Maggie
    Paige, Molly, Delaney & Bridget (yes, 4 daughters)
    Chocolate Lab - Seamus
    2019 312BHTS Reflection TT
    2017 F-250 Lariat SCREW Gasser 6.2L, SRW, shortbed
    14k Equal-I-Zer Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marley89 View Post
    Marley,

Yes I did purchase this camera. I've been meaning to post about it, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Thanks for reminding me.

I got the package with just the one camera. They call it the door camera, but it is the one that fits the rear factory mount. (The one they call the rear camera is the one integrated into a red clearance light.) I mounted it a day or two before we took a 3 week trip, so I did not have a chance to play around with it beforehand. Only issue I had with mounting it is that the screws are teeny tiny and I lost a couple in my gavel driveway. I'd suggest spreading a white sheet under your work area, because they are so small and hard to work with, you probably will drop one or two.

The camera and monitor work very well. I had wanted to mount it on a beanbag and put it on the dash. I actually had it set up pretty well with the monitor in the middle deep well on my F350, an RV760 GPS just to the left, and my TST TPMS monitor to the left of the instrument cluster. The Furrion monitor and mounting neck are larger than the 7" GPS, but the well on the F350 is so deep that it didn't stick up any farther than the GPS. An hour or so out on the trip though, my TPMS started losing contact with the passenger side wheels, so at the first rest stop I had to reconfigure and get rid of the Furrion monitor. Later on the trip, I ditched the beanbag mount and used the suction cup to mount the monitor as high up as possible just to the left of the rear view mirror. This actually works out pretty well.

Performance wise, I'm quite pleased. Picture is nice and clear. No dropouts at highway speeds. Thee is a bit of delay as the display updates, but not enough to be an issue or distraction. The image is compressed/decompressed, so that is not surprising. I should note, that since the top of the monitor was literally up against the headliner, there was no room to flip up the antenna. It was performing great with the antenna in the folded horizontal position. The suction cup mount is very robust. It never got loose and we went over some really bad roads in Minnesota.

I do have a few cons though.

1. The camera is a very tight fit in the factory housing. There is a lumpy filter of some sort integrated into the power cord of the camera and there are specific instructions on how to position it when mounting, but it still takes some careful stuffing.

2. The monitor software assumes you have 4 cameras. When it comes up, the screen is split in quadrants and you have touch the one you want to display full frame. Just an annoyance, but they should have a way to tell it how many cameras you have in the setup, so it knows how to default on power up.

3. The camera has a mike and you can listen to it on the monitor. Nice when someone is shouting instruction when you are backing up, but the volume controls are not readily available and are part of the setup. You need to be able to turn the volume up/down easily so a classic volume control on the bezel or buttons on the touch screen would be handy. You really only want the sound on when your backing into the campsite.

Bottom line is that though it is pricey, it does work very well. Some day I may add the 2 side cameras. I like how they are integrated into clearance lights and just replace them.

-jj

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjinatx View Post
    Marley,

Yes I did purchase this camera. I've been meaning to post about it, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Thanks for reminding me.

I got the package with just the one camera. They call it the door camera, but it is the one that fits the rear factory mount. (The one they call the rear camera is the one integrated into a red clearance light.) I mounted it a day or two before we took a 3 week trip, so I did not have a chance to play around with it beforehand. Only issue I had with mounting it is that the screws are teeny tiny and I lost a couple in my gavel driveway. I'd suggest spreading a white sheet under your work area, because they are so small and hard to work with, you probably will drop one or two.

The camera and monitor work very well. I had wanted to mount it on a beanbag and put it on the dash. I actually had it set up pretty well with the monitor in the middle deep well on my F350, an RV760 GPS just to the left, and my TST TPMS monitor to the left of the instrument cluster. The Furrion monitor and mounting neck are larger than the 7" GPS, but the well on the F350 is so deep that it didn't stick up any farther than the GPS. An hour or so out on the trip though, my TPMS started losing contact with the passenger side wheels, so at the first rest stop I had to reconfigure and get rid of the Furrion monitor. Later on the trip, I ditched the beanbag mount and used the suction cup to mount the monitor as high up as possible just to the left of the rear view mirror. This actually works out pretty well.

Performance wise, I'm quite pleased. Picture is nice and clear. No dropouts at highway speeds. Thee is a bit of delay as the display updates, but not enough to be an issue or distraction. The image is compressed/decompressed, so that is not surprising. I should note, that since the top of the monitor was literally up against the headliner, there was no room to flip up the antenna. It was performing great with the antenna in the folded horizontal position. The suction cup mount is very robust. It never got loose and we went over some really bad roads in Minnesota.

I do have a few cons though.

1. The camera is a very tight fit in the factory housing. There is a lumpy filter of some sort integrated into the power cord of the camera and there are specific instructions on how to position it when mounting, but it still takes some careful stuffing.

2. The monitor software assumes you have 4 cameras. When it comes up, the screen is split in quadrants and you have touch the one you want to display full frame. Just an annoyance, but they should have a way to tell it how many cameras you have in the setup, so it knows how to default on power up.

3. The camera has a mike and you can listen to it on the monitor. Nice when someone is shouting instruction when you are backing up, but the volume controls are not readily available and are part of the setup. You need to be able to turn the volume up/down easily so a classic volume control on the bezel or buttons on the touch screen would be handy. You really only want the sound on when your backing into the campsite.

Bottom line is that though it is pricey, it does work very well. Some day I may add the 2 side cameras. I like how they are integrated into clearance lights and just replace them.

-jj
    Thank you so much for responding! We are looking at a couple of different ones based on what I have read here in the forums.