User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for park SE of Austin

We are headed to Austin the first week of December. Our son lives 5 min from the airport so we're looking for a nice park or three. We'll be in the area a couple months. I don't mind packing up and moving every couple weeks. We are hoping to find a park that we like to hang out in as we won't be seeing the kids every day. I know there's a couple McKinneys and a couple Bastrops. If these parks have stay limits, we'd move from one to another and possibly back after the requisite "gone" period. Suggestions? Thanks.
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2016 RAM 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel,
    Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Hitch Prep
    B&W Companion Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is more southwest of Austin and maybe too far, but I stayed at Johnson creek several years ago and it was really nice. Axis deer wandered around in the park and my daughter enjoyed that.
    http://johnsoncreekrvresort.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeRoy View Post
    It is more southwest of Austin and maybe too far, but I stayed at Johnson creek several years ago and it was really nice. Axis deer wandered around in the park and my daughter enjoyed that.
    http://johnsoncreekrvresort.com/
    Thanks. Yes - that is considerably too far away for us. We looked at Cottonwood Creek near Dripping Springs which is SW in the Hill Country, but much closer to Austin.
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    McKinney Falls state park is very nice, lots of well shaded pull thru sites. It's within spitting distance of the 130 Toll road and not far from Circuit of the Americas. It's off IH 35 so really its south Austin. We stayed there last fall for few days.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rivershade RV Park in Seguin. Nice shady spots on Guadalupe River. 40 Minutes from Austin Airport using TX-130 Toll Rd.
    They have short-term and longer-term stays.
    Mark & Diana
    2019 Solitude 377MBS
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo w/Aisin Transmission DRW
    B&W Companion Hitch

Previous Rig:
    2018 Reflection 312BHTS
    2014 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW
    Equalizer Hitch

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfintom View Post
    We are headed to Austin the first week of December. Our son lives 5 min from the airport so we're looking for a nice park or three. We'll be in the area a couple months. I don't mind packing up and moving every couple weeks. We are hoping to find a park that we like to hang out in as we won't be seeing the kids every day. I know there's a couple McKinneys and a couple Bastrops. If these parks have stay limits, we'd move from one to another and possibly back after the requisite "gone" period. Suggestions? Thanks.
    Tom Kathy, You have probably researched the camping around Bastrop but new places are opening every month. I live in the Bastrop area. At my last count there are now 11 RV camping spots in and around the area. There is also Bastrop State Park divided into two camping areas, North Shore which is right on the lake and South Shore. On the South Shore you can still see the effects of the Bastrop wildfires 7 years ago. The state parks or LCRA (Lower Colorado River Authority) parks I think have a 2 week stay limit. The state parks mostly have a common holding tank dump pull off area but some offer a limited number of on-site sewer connections.

Bastrop city is @ 28-30 miles from the ABIA airport on highway 71. This highway is a 4 lane divided highway. Your relatives living in Austin can guide you and maybe check them out for you.
    All of the privately owned RV places are both short and long term. All of these places have monthly rates, some have metered electric service for long term stays most do not. All of these privately owned camgrounds have 30/50 amp service, water and sewer full hook up sites. The monthly rates vary a lot depending on the amenities they offer. From 350 / month up to 575 / month. Most have paved sites some are gravel. On site amenities like laundry, WiFi, cable TV, on-site store, swiming pool/spa, lake fishing, onsite RV service/repair, on-site store-n-lock, stuff like that. You just have to pick what is important to you.

Just do a search on Bastrop camp grounds and a bunch of them will come up.
    Here is just a sample you might want to check out. All of them are open year round, a lot of them fill up with snowbirds coming from the northern states. Get your reservations early.
    Bastrop RV Park
    Colorado River KOA
    The Oaks RV Park
    Highway 71 RV Park
    Longhorn RV Resort
    Pinewood RV Estates
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Tom Kathy, ....
    Here is just a sample you might want to check out....
    Bastrop RV Park
    Colorado River KOA
    The Oaks RV Park
    Highway 71 RV Park
    Longhorn RV Resort
    Pinewood RV Estates
    Have you checked out any of these? The two LCRA parks on Lake Bastrop seem great. The best park I remember was Yellowstone many years ago. The sites were spaced apart and separated by trees so you had a lot of privacy. I was spoiled by those times. It looks like the Bastrop parks may be similar - plus they're on a lake! I heard McKinney Falls is beautiful, but it's a state park so 14 day limit. I'll check out the others you listed. Thanks.
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfintom View Post
    Have you checked out any of these? The two LCRA parks on Lake Bastrop seem great. The best park I remember was Yellowstone many years ago. The sites were spaced apart and separated by trees so you had a lot of privacy. I was spoiled by those times. It looks like the Bastrop parks may be similar - plus they're on a lake! I heard McKinney Falls is beautiful, but it's a state park so 14 day limit. I'll check out the others you listed. Thanks.
    Yes we have checked them out. Bastrop State Park North Shore is very nice, right on the lake and next to the swimming and recreation area. The South Shore is away from the lake and not as good, is in the area burned by the wildfires, is slowly coming back.Full hookups there.
    Bastrop RV Park, private, is on the out skirts west side of Bastrop on highway 71. Very nice and big RV park with a small pond, meeting room, full hookups, snowbird long term residences, Wifi and cable.
    Colorado River KOA is right on the river, fishing pier, has kind of close sites, has pool but very nice. Some sites are back to back.
    The OAKs RV Park is 1/4 mile from my house. Nice accommodations, gravel sites, 8 miles from Bastrop City, 22 miles from Austin. Full hook ups, Good place to stay but doesn't have much else to do there.
    Highway 71 RV Park, again about 1/4 mile from my house. Big RV park, has pool and a few amenities.
    Longhorn RV Park is in Nederwald about 20 miles from me, Bastrop and Austin. Its more toward San Marcos and I 35. Kind of pricey, has pool, hot tub, exercise room, store, on-site repair, lake, WiFi, cable TV. Easy access down I35 to San Antonio.
    Pinewood RV Estates - new RV park opened this year. Between Bastrop and Smithville on highway 71. Really good rates, Full hookups, getting Wifi & Cable TV, store and lock on site, gravel sites not much else going on there. Caters to retired RVers.

All of these places have web sites detailing amenities rates and such.

Steve
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that Steve has just about listed all the RV parks in the Austin area. There are a few near Lake Travis off of HWY 620 and a few off of Pace Bend Road. I've been by several and with the exception of LaHacienda I don't have any recommendations. I think Tom mentioned Yellowstone, but I think he meant Jellystone in Kerrville, which is over 2 hours west of Austin. There are a couple of small RV parks in San Marcos. We stayed at Pecan Park, small but has a nice pool and is close to tubing on the San Marcos river. Stay away from any park on IH35, it's constantly under construction and the noise and congestion would make your stay not very enjoyable.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing you have probably realized, but I thought I would mention it. I wouldn't be too concerned about camp grounds with metered electric. In December around here you wont need a lot of AC running because it can be really pleasant weather. On the other hand, its the old joke about Texas weather, It can change often. We actually had snow this year as far south as Galveston but that was in like Feb. Really weird! It melted away fast.

I dont know much about the camping up in Austin, we dont usually go that way. There is a KOA up in North East Austin. If your family lives around the ABIA airport area I would stay in the South East of Austin. Austin traffic can be a bear. Your family in the area can advise you on this.

You have probably been in the Austin area before since you have family here but a few places we like to go is down to Gruene Hall, oldest dance hall in Texas. They have free country bands / music on the weekends and the old mill there is great for lunch /dinner. Lots of antique shopping. Also a lot of people end up in Fredericksburg. Lots of shopping there and the WW II National Museum of the Pacific War is something to see if your into that . They also have a live WW 2 reenactment where Marines storm the beaches of a pacific island with tanks and flame throwers. Really cool stuff. Caution it's loud, they give you ear plugs. But its really great!

The wife and I sometimes run down to San Antonio for a day trip to the river walk. for us its only about 50 minutes drive time. We usually have lunch at the County Line BBQ and get our exercise on the river walk. Xmas time on the river walk with all the holiday lights is great.
    the Oasis on Lake Travis is a good dining experience.

Have fun with the family, that is the main thing, make some memories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast