User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Propane Help ASAP!

Supposed to leave on a 800 mile trip tomorrow. Went to switch the refrigerator over to propane and it wouldn't switch. Tried to restart a few times but no dice. Checked the regulator and it was red. Disconnected both tanks (got a hiss of gas out of both when unscrewing) and picked them up. Both are nearly full with the gas that the dealer supplied. Reconnected, opened the valves very slowly...nothing. Tried to light the stove just in case the regulator was reading incorrectly. No hiss, no nothing. Read the manual and it's no help. Did an internet search and found that the problem is usually opening the valve(s) too quickly. Stove worked fine on our first trip over Easter but the refrigerator faulted on the way home. Bad, brand new regulator? Something else maybe?
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD68 View Post
    Supposed to leave on a 800 mile trip tomorrow. Went to switch the refrigerator over to propane and it wouldn't switch. Tried to restart a few times but no dice. Checked the regulator and it was red. Disconnected both tanks (got a hiss of gas out of both when unscrewing) and picked them up. Both are nearly full with the gas that the dealer supplied. Reconnected, opened the valves very slowly...nothing. Tried to light the stove just in case the regulator was reading incorrectly. No hiss, no nothing. Read the manual and it's no help. Did an internet search and found that the problem is usually opening the valve(s) too quickly. Stove worked fine on our first trip over Easter but the refrigerator faulted on the way home. Bad, brand new regulator? Something else maybe?
    I find that I sometimes have air in my lines. I turn on the stove and if necessary light with a lighter. Once lite and the air
    Is out the refrigerator runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you turn the tanks off sometimes you can bang them on a straight down on a board and this may drop the OPD valve. Then re-hook to camper and make sure all appliances are off and then turn on slowly. Open stove knob slowly and instead of using the ignitor use a lighter right on the burner where the gas comes out. If the lighter flame gets "blown" away then you have gas pressure coming , if there is no flame movement then you may have a regulator problem.
    On the regulator make sure the lever is pointing to the street side and only turn this bottle on.

Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a propane grill at home, try hooking up the bottles and see if the gas flows. At least this will eliminate the bottles as the source of the problem.

I'm not very knowledgeable about propane equipment, so I had to go read up on the "OPD Valve". This is an informative site: https://www.propane101.com/valveopennopropane.htm

Based on what I read, just removing and reconnecting the bottles to the trailer may get the hose end connection to seat properly. As stated in the article, The inside of the OPD valve is engineered to only allow propane in or out if the internal valve is actuated by being depressed and When attached to a cylinder valve and tightened, the brass fitting (on the hose end connection) will push the internal valve open and allow gas to flow out of the cylinder to the appliance.

Have a safe trip.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The recommendations in previous posts about lighting the stove with a lighter/evacuating any air in the system and checking the regulator are spot on. These are the most likely culprits. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mystery solved...eventually. Luckily, I have a RV parts and service center just a couple miles away. Got there 10 minutes before closing and $68 dollars later, I had a new regulator. Installed it while holding a flashlight in my mouth but the stove still wouldn't light and fridge wouldn't switch over. I started looking at the quick disconnect valve that feeds the slide. Opened it and closed it a couple times and went in to take another stab at lighting the stove but no luck. I stood there dejected and then a light bulb went on. Everything worked fine while camping but the fridge faults when the slide is in for travel. Flipped on the gas for the water heater and it fired up immediately. Put the slide out and the stove lit immediately. Turned the refrigerator to gas and it transitioned seamlessly. Went outside and laid down under the slide and stared right at the partially crushed gas line. The way it was positioned resulted in the line being virtually folded in half when the slide was retracted. It had some nicks in it but was not leaking. I wrapped it with electrical tape for added protection. I watched as my wife retracted the slide and had to adjust the line to keep it from getting kinked. Went inside and started the stove immediately. The refrigerator was still functioning on the propane setting. I may need to have the gas line replaced because of the damage but for now, all is well. Spent the evening getting this issue resolved instead of packing so we won't be leaving at 4:00 a.m. as planned, but we will get out of town at some point tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by JeffD68; 04-30-2019 at 10:23 PM.
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mystery solved...eventually. Luckily, I have a RV parts and service center just a couple miles away. Got there 10 minutes before closing and $68 dollars later, I had a new regulator. Installed it while holding a flashlight in my mouth but the stove still wouldn't light and fridge wouldn't switch over. I started looking at the quick disconnect valve that feeds the slide. Opened it and closed it a couple times and went in to take another stab at lighting the stove but no luck. I stood there dejected and then a light bulb went on. Everything worked fine while camping but the fridge faults when the slide is in for travel. Flipped on the gas for the water heater and it fired up immediately. Put the slide out and the stove lit immediately. Turned the refrigerator to gas and it transitioned seamlessly. Went outside and laid down under the slide and stared right at the partially crushed gas line. The way it was positioned resulted in the line being virtually folded in half when the slide was retracted. It had some nicks in it but was not leaking. I wrapped it with electrical tape for added protection. I watched as my wife retracted the slide and had to adjust the line to keep it from getting kinked. Went inside and started the stove immediately. The refrigerator was still functioning on the propane setting. I may need to have the gas line replaced because of the damage but for now, all is well. Spent the evening getting this issue resolved instead of packing so we won't be leaving at 4:00 a.m. as planned, but we will get out of town at some point tomorrow morning.
    Jeff, Sorry I missed your original post. This has happened on other #303 model trailers as was mine. I posted this a year or so ago as somebody else had the problem. The fix was to use additional zip ties to "force" the bed in the rubber line to a more curved loop and secure it to the strap or spring there. Poor design from factory but easy fix. Does not help you but maybe other #303 owners might see this. Maybe applicable to other models as well like the #337 . The key variable was that it worked when slide open but not when closed.
    Jim
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and stared right at the partially crushed gas line.
    Good find! Scary, though, that from the factory the gas line wasn't routed and/or placed in a manner that would ensure this didn't happen.

It looks like your trailer is still under warranty. Are you going to ask for the line to be replaced?
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Good find! Scary, though, that from the factory the gas line wasn't routed and/or placed in a manner that would ensure this didn't happen.

It looks like your trailer is still under warranty. Are you going to ask for the line to be replaced?
    I would absolutely have Grand Design pay to replace the damaged line.

This should not have happened. Everything having to do with the Gas system should be Super, Super Safe. This design is not.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back from our 1,700 mile, 8 night trip. We spent one night on the road each way and 6 nights at our destination. There were no issues with the refrigerator operating on propane with the slide in and under way. I did add some additional zip ties but that didn't work so I simply pulled the line out of the way as my wife retracted the slide. Now that we're home, I'll come up with a permanent solution. As for repairing it under warranty, that probably won't happen. I don't feel that this particular issue requires immediate repair or replacement. As a matter of fact, it is my intent to repair or replace just about anything that needs it. Our dealer is 80 miles away and like most, their service department has wretched reviews. Honestly, I would rather spend $100 and a couple hours of my own time than make that drive twice and lose the use of my trailer while it sits on their lot. If the time comes that I have enough small issues that need to be resolved, I will take it to them. Also, if I have a major issue, I would do the same. But, so far, so good.
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast