User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

RANT - Why can't dog owners follow the rules?

This summer, I've yet to stay in an RV park that I didn't encounter at least one dog owner that considers leash rules as just a suggestion.

Tonight I was walking my two on their leashes when another dog came charging out of its campsite with no leash. So I had to discipline my two in order to keep them from hurting the other dog.

The owners always apologize and say "I'm so sorry, he never does that". Or "don't worry, he's friendly". And then 5hey get bitchy when I suggest the leash rules are not voluntary.

I'm about to tell my two "get him!" Okay, I won't do that, but I'm really frustrated. And don't get me started on owners who don't pick up their dog's excrement.

Jim

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With you all the way on this one. We always wonder if those same people complain about the waste along the roadways or in the grass areas
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally with you on this. Whenever I hear "Don't worry, he's friendly", or "My dog would never do that", or "Gee, she's never done anything like that" I just want to tell those folks "You don't really know whatyour dog may do at any given moment". These are animals, not people. A few summers back our Boston Terrier was attacked by a large dog belonging to our dear friends' son and DIL. Deuce was sitting at my wife's heel on a leash when the attacker crushed down on Deuces abdomen and shook him. My guy was severely injured but survived. The owners kept saying they didn't understand, she's never done anything like that before.

Folks, you don't know what your dog may do until they do it. Why not just obey the leash rules?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you too Jim. We have also had those loose dogs wander through our site with the owner apologizing. Fortunately we have fencing we put up so we don't need the leash except outside the fence.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_25d.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	13768
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree. There are several in the park I stay in that always seem to be off leash and I need to walk my dog to the dog run. Irritates the heck out of me because our dog is so much bigger than the littles that come charging at him. He has never hurt one, but who's to say he won't respond aggressively. One of these days he may have a wiener dog for a snack! I've complained to the office but the dog owners claim to the staff they are never off leash. I need to start taking pictures!
    Sally & George
    Twisp, WA
    2017 Solitude 369RL (delivery Oct 2016)
    2017 Ford F-450 King Ranch Edition
    2006 Ford F-550
    2021 Rugged Mountain Polar 12SE
    Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't agree more! There should be competency test you need to take before you can become a pet parent. We have gotten to the point now that if a dog runs up on us off leash that we let our dogs decide if they want to be friends with them or not. This has lead to a few unpleasant instances, however pretty effective.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride my mountain bike on trails shared by hikers. 75% of the hikers have dogs with them and 95% of these dogs aren't on leashes. Almost all of the dogs either block the narrow trail and/or chase after me. And of course the owners apologize for not having the dog on a leash (as if they really cared) and say their dogs never chase after people. Some day...
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also agree, never fails that someone thinks their dog is the exception to the rule. Some dogs do very well off leash but many don't. If they tell me it's ok the dog is friendly my reply is mine is not and he WILL hurt your dog he does not like being charged upon by a strange loose dog.

Brian, do you give notice to the dog owner you are approaching from behind? I find many bikers do not give notice atleast 75% give no warning, either by saying something or tooting a horn or bell.
    Our Aussie has a strong herding instinct and will nip at a butt or a tire riding by if it passes to close with no warning. While in FL at the park we stay in We had 1 couple pass very close to Koda with no warning and he charged the bike scaring the biker. We talked right away and I explained his herding instinct and his blind eye , that If they come up on his blind side he reacts quickly because he is startled. They always let us know they were coming up for the rest of their stay. If we get warning we can be sure to cinch up the leash
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is crazy how common this is. This same topic shows up every single month on our neighborhood nextdoor site too, along with the "pick up after your dog" one. I don't own a dog, but my goodness rules are not that hard to follow. We travel with a cat. I don't want an unleashed dog running to OUR campsite where our kitty is outside on a leash, laying enjoying the sun!
    Our Setup
    2018.5 Solitude 310-GK
    2012 Ford F-450

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, hijack time. Yes, the dogs off leash bother me. When we used to camp with ours (she is too old to now) she did stay on her leash or tie out. The one that really gets under my skin both camping and at home are the cats. They don’t give a $&/! About anything including invading your camp site or home yard and climbing on things, etc. Why is it there are dog leash ordances and rules but a cat is allowed the roam free? Hay maybe I can take cat owners to the Supreme Court on behalf of all the dogs and claim race discrimination!

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast