User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The AC units are not the only high power loads in the RV. The microwave, water heater, and fireplace all draw close to 15 amps each. Also, toasters, hair dryers, etc plugged into outlets can draw close to 15 amps each.

When you are connected to 50 amp campground power, you actually have 100 amps @ 120 VAC available, and you can, for the most part, ignore any overload issues. When you are plugged into 30 amp service, you have to monitor your loads closely to stay within the 30 amp requirement. I like having an EMS with a display that shows the actual load in real time for monitoring loads. If you have a 50 amp EMS and are connected to 30 amp power, you need to add the L1 and L2 loads together to determine your total actual load and keep it under 30 amps.

In general, if you know which loads are considered high power loads (as mentioned above), you are usually in fairly good shape if you don't run more than 2 high power loads at the same time on 30 amps.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,

Thanks! Very clever ways to maximize comfort while minimizing costs since electricity is typically included at RV parks. Glad to see that 30A is very workable. Based on all this information (yours and before), I just purchased a Champion 3400W (3100W sustained) portable inverter generator with remote start. On sale with shipping and no taxes for $879. That should give me 26A sustained which should be similar to being plugged into 30A shore power. And I hope to be able to run the 15k unit or the 13.5k.

Alan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rob - I also am considering getting 2 Champion 3400 Inverters that only offer a parallel kit with 120V 50A. I was worried about this not supporting both A/C's for my 2019 Reflection, but I find that your answers are always clear and accurate. Would you mind telling me how you found out that information, as I was not able to find it anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Alan - The 30A male to 50A female adapter provides the available 30A @ 120V to both legs of the 50A supply to the trailer. If your parallel generators are putting out 50A @120V you should be OK to run both AC units . . . as long as you don't use a 30A cord. The 50A cord could safely carry the entire output of the generator on one leg if the draw was this way. The only "at risk" part of this is the 30A male to 50A female adapter which might be rated for only 30A.

Rob
    Gary and Judy
    Future Summer of 2019 Owners of a Reflection 28BH

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccerDad View Post
    Hi Rob - I also am considering getting 2 Champion 3400 Inverters that only offer a parallel kit with 120V 50A. I was worried about this not supporting both A/C's for my 2019 Reflection, but I find that your answers are always clear and accurate. Would you mind telling me how you found out that information, as I was not able to find it anywhere?
    Hi Gary and Judy,

This is about understanding how the electricity is generated and making sure that the wires carrying this current are properly sized and properly fused. Running the two generators together must have a connection cable that comes to a unique 50A 120V female outlet. You will need to find (or make) an adapter that connects to your 50A RV male plug so that this power can be delivered to both sides of the RV electrical supply. This would be similar to the more common 30A male to 50A female RV adapter, but with heavier wire to accommodate up to 50A.

As to how I know these things . . . I can’t really point you to a single source. I have spent over 50 years messing about with boats (including their 120V generators) and this has required learning the details of the ABYC specs governing boat construction. These regulations are far more detailed and far more carefully inspected than anything in a towable RV . . . but, the systems are very similar. Reading up on the electrical sections of ABYC, particularly the parts about built in generators, would provide more background references.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all - I found this thread using the search tool and although good info, it left me with a question (pardon my ignorance!). I'm looking at the Champion 3500 dual fuel generator which has a 30A outlet. I understand I can only run 1 AC at a time, but my question is can I run either one? In other words, with the generator running, can I turn ON the AC in the living area for a while, then turn that OFF and then turn ON the one in the bedroom while not changing any other settings? Thanks!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Hi all - I found this thread using the search tool and although good info, it left me with a question (pardon my ignorance!). I'm looking at the Champion 3500 dual fuel generator which has a 30A outlet. I understand I can only run 1 AC at a time, but my question is can I run either one? In other words, with the generator running, can I turn ON the AC in the living area for a while, then turn that OFF and then turn ON the one in the bedroom while not changing any other settings? Thanks!
    Assuming you wire it to your 50A plug via a standard 30-50 dog one, you’ll be able to run either AC. The adapter connects both legs of the 50A service to the incoming power.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post

Yes you can.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been looking for this topic for days!!

I'm doing a solar/inverter install and it has an internal transfer switch. It can do 4800watts continuous.

Also my Imagine 2020 2800BH is pre-wired for 50a.

What I don't understand is when I bring power into the distro panel from the internal transfer switch its only 1 leg of power. How do I get it to power both sides of the pannel? Do I make a jumper where L1 & L2 were? Or does it automatically do this.

The box is WF-8930/50.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thank you!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davekatie View Post
    I've been looking for this topic for days!!
    I'm doing a solar/inverter install and it has an internal transfer switch. It can do 4800watts continuous.
    Also my Imagine 2020 2800BH is pre-wired for 50a.

What I don't understand is when I bring power into the distro panel from the internal transfer switch its only 1 leg of power. How do I get it to power both sides of the panel? Do I make a jumper where L1 & L2 were? Or does it automatically do this.

The box is WF-8930/50.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thank you!
    Sounds like one leg is feeding into the inverter and it then passes via its internal ATS the same leg over to the AC panel.
    I think since the inverter only has one leg out, you'll have to add a manual switch or the AM Solar SPS to do what you want.
    I guess there's only a couple of inverters that can output both legs of the 50A service over to the panel, one being the Go Power IC2000/IC3000 series.

The All About RV's video shows how a manual transfer switch could do this along with AM Solar's SPS.

Another option that has been mentioned, but I haven't seen in use is a 4 pole heavy duty contactor wired so it would tie L1+L2 together for when on 30A service.
    It would require a switch to not tie the legs together when on 30A service only.

All About RVs 50A & 30A - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xKOyRyxdNk
    IC2000 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A95JGgQk6aI
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Sounds like one leg is feeding into the inverter and it then passes via its internal ATS the same leg over to the AC panel.
    I think since the inverter only has one leg out, you'll have to add a manual switch or the AM Solar SPS to do what you want.
    I guess there's only a couple of inverters that can output both legs of the 50A service over to the panel, one being the Go Power IC2000/IC3000 series.

The All About RV's video shows how a manual transfer switch could do this along with AM Solar's SPS.

Another option that has been mentioned, but I haven't seen in use is a 4 pole heavy duty contactor wired so it would tie L1+L2 together for when on 30A service.
    It would require a switch to not tie the legs together when on 30A service only.

All About RVs 50A & 30A - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xKOyRyxdNk
    IC2000 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A95JGgQk6aI
    The specific model is a LV2424.
    http://www.mppsolar.com/manual/SPLIT...l-20190717.pdf
    Here is the image of how this unit handles power.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	27598

I'm trying to tie that into:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-06-27.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	27599

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12