Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fully disconnecting from the hitch/truck

This weekend I pulled into a campsite for the first time by myself. I was being very mindful of properly blocking the wheels on the trailer so it couldn't roll away and disconnecting from the hitch in the correct order, etc. Well, I got distracted because I couldn't get the receiver to come off the ball. A newbie mistake. I ask a neighboring camper to help and it was quickly resolved. For some reason I still haven't figured out, I thought that since the receiver was off the ball, it was OK to pull away - thus breaking the break-away cable for the trailer brake . . . and some other piece I haven't figured out what it is yet. Now I'm stressed out because I've gotta go figure out how to repair the break-away cable and figure out what the other piece is that broke. Luckily, I did at least unhook the safety chains. That's one thing. :-) RV'ing by yourself can be overwhelming and intimidating, but you can take it to the bank I'll never make this mistake again (hopefully) and I'm determined not to let it beat me.

Oh, one more thing. While jostling things around to get the receiver off the ball, I didn't notice that the 'foot' on the device that raises and lowers the trailer had slipped too close to the edge of the stacked blocks. It slid completely off and the trailer jolted down. Luckily, it was probably less than 6 inches and I like to justify that the trailer takes more pounding than that going down the road, but it scared the crap out of me. The good news is that the trailer was level after it slipped off. The pad was pretty slanted.

Suffice it to say, my first experience setting up alone was damn scary. -)
    Last edited by DoberGirl50; 07-09-2018 at 07:02 AM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DoberGirl50 - If you have pulled the emergency trailer brake apply and it is damaged, the trailer brakes may be applied. This will be a very heavy electrical load on your trailer battery and will not allow you to move the trailer. Can the plastic pin on the trailer end of the pull cable be reinserted into the socket?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    DoberGirl50 - If you have pulled the emergency trailer brake apply and it is damaged, the trailer brakes may be applied. This will be a very heavy electrical load on your trailer battery and will not allow you to move the trailer. Can the plastic pin on the trailer end of the pull cable be reinserted into the socket?

Rob
    Hi Rob. I'm planning to investigate that when I go back to the campsite. The only thing that I've noticed so far is that the free end (not the trailer end) of the cable is no longer connected to the clasp. I don't know about the trailer end yet.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures might help us help you.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Breakaway cable.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	13807

Not sure if the image loaded correctly, but the pin did pull out of the switch. When I reinserted the pin, the trailer 'jolted' slightly. Can I assume that means the brakes DISengaged? Also, if the pic loaded correctly, you'll note that the 'non-trailer' end of the cable completely pulled out of the clamp and stripped the outer covering of the cable. Can I simply snip the exposed end and reclamp it or should I buy a new pin with cable?

The 'other thing' that I broke doesn't seem to be actually broken. It was the sway bar. The inside bar that slides in and out completely yanked out. I put the two pieces back together and tightened and loosened the entire device. It seems to be OK - based on my limited knowledge of sway bars.

Thank God for GD Owner's Forum and You Tube!
    Last edited by DoberGirl50; 07-09-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to re-crimp that wire back into the clamp showing just to left of your finger. If it "jolted" then brakes probably released, only way to tell is
    to hitch up and see if you can pull away slowly with minimum throttle. If so then they are released. Good luck!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    You should be able to re-crimp that wire back into the clamp showing just to left of your finger. If it "jolted" then brakes probably released, only way to tell is
    to hitch up and see if you can pull away slowly with minimum throttle. If so then they are released. Good luck!
    I wound up ordering a new cable because the more I looked at the cable and switch, the more I noticed the cable is getting rusty. The screw that holds the switch onto the frame was so rusted it broke off. Now I have to figure out how to temporarily and securely hold the switch on the frame until I can get the whole thing replaced. I read the break-away system lasts about 3 years and the trailer is now 3-4 years old.

These are horrible and good experiences at the same time. I'm learning a lot.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha hang in there you'll be fine. We have all learned from our experiences! My first thought is a couple of those big industrial size zip ties, Home Depot
    or Lowes have them. They are pretty handy for little emergency repairs like this.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harbor freight has a stainless steel cable tie. . . . .

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...-pk-60330.html
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoberGirl50 View Post
    I was being very mindful of properly blocking the wheels..I got distracted because I couldn't get the receiver to come off the ball. A newbie mistake. ..I thought that since the receiver was off the ball, it was OK to pull away.. Now I'm stressed out ..RV'ing by yourself can be overwhelming and intimidating,

I didn't notice that the 'foot' on the device that raises and lowers the trailer had slipped too close to the edge of the stacked blocks. The pad was pretty slanted.
    Suffice it to say, my first experience setting up alone was damn scary. -)
    We all have such adventures, I bent the stew out of my front landing jack on my 5th wheel, I was alone, I was tired, it was dark.

A couple of things to consider: Replacing the entire trailer brake thingy is pretty easy, mine rusted completely out and would not have worked, I discovered this when I decided to test it. Now that test is a semi-annual maintenance step.

One technique that I use when on any kind of slanted site is to rest the trailer against the blocks before unhooking. I place my blocks that keep the trailer from rolling, then I put the truck into neutral or drive and let the trailer put pressure on the blocks so everything is stopped, then I put the landing gear down. The front jack slipping off the pad suggests that the trailer moved, this would only happen if it was not properly blocked, not trying to be punitive or critical here, it's just something I have done myself.

A step to help you get the ball off the hitch, once the jack is down and bearing weight or when it starts to pull the back end of the truck up, get in the truck and put it into reverse, the truck will come back about 1/4 inch, enough to release the pressure on the keeper mechanism, thus making the ball come off easily.

Distraction and stress: In aviation I was taught to use written checklists, that way you make sure that every step is accomplished, and it is accomplished in the correct order. I don't use a written check list any longer, after setting up and tearing down about 500 times my check list is pretty well stuck in my head, but I still follow it.

I have found a campfire and a glass of wine pretty much relieves any stress left over from the trip.

Travel Safe!
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast