Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile TV using batteries dry camping.

Has anyone wired the tv to run on battery power only. Imagine 2800bh will power almost everything except the TV on 12 volt power. When the camp ground limits generator hours it would be nice to have an hour or so to run the TV to watch CDs.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmzabel View Post
    Has anyone wired the tv to run on battery power only. Imagine 2800bh will power almost everything except the TV on 12 volt power. When the camp ground limits generator hours it would be nice to have an hour or so to run the TV to watch CDs.
    If you have a handy 12 volt source (or can wire one near the TV) go to Walmart and buy an inverter in the auto department. Some TV's don't like the modified sine wave inverters so look for a pure sine wave inverter.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to buy an inverter and mount it in the front of my 337RLS and buy a 50 amp to 15 amp converter and run an extension cord from the inverter into the 50 amp connector. I am using 2 Trojan 6v T105 batteries.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info confirms the direction I was heading to. I have three batteries, two six volt and the original 12 volt. Acts like two 12 volt batteries separated by a marine switch for a total of 345 amp hours.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember the power conversion when using an inverter. If your TV draws 1.5 amps at 120V, that requires 15 amps at 12V. More likely 18 amps because inverters are not 100% efficient. A large TV can easily require more power. This is a significant power consumption at 12V. Most of the 12V circuits in the RV are fused at 15 amps.

It is easier to run an extension cord at 120V than power an inverter at some distance from the batteries because of the wire gauge required for the 12V current. For example, if you wanted to put an inverter drawing 20A at 12V at a distance of 20 ft from the batteries (40 ft there and back) you should wire this with at least 6ga (the same as your OE battery cables) . . . much heavier than the the 14ga that most existing circuits are wired with.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jvenard View Post
    I am going to buy an inverter and mount it in the front of my 337RLS and buy a 50 amp to 15 amp converter and run an extension cord from the inverter into the 50 amp connector. I am using 2 Trojan 6v T105 batteries.
    I'm guessing you mean a cord to convert the 50A plug to a 15A plug. That will work to distribute the power, but you have to make sure you turn off the converter (120VAC to 12VDC) or you'll be trying to recharge your batteries from your batteries. Also, make sure you don't turn on more stuff than your inverter can handle (like A/C and microwave).
    Keith Regli
    2016 Momentum 388m
    2015 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did this in my old fifth. Inverter mounted very near the batteries, then used a heavy duty extension cord as the wire run from the inverter to a cabinet in the living space with the remainder of the cord coiled up inside. Mostly plugged the TV into it, but also used it for my 24v cpap. And, of course, it was available if I had to run some other lower power type 120v device at some point. Be sure to install a remote switch - inverters pull power all the time, even without anything attached, and it is kind of a pain to go outside at night to turn it off.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Also consider a “hybrid” inverter, that can pull energy from multiple sources depending on the load.
    For instance, if we are driveway surfing at a friend’s house and using their 15a but we want to run the microwave, or anything that pulls a huge amount of current, the hybrid inverter pulls power from both the battery bank and the 15a hookup, or if we were boondocking and wanted to run the air conditioner and the microwave, the hybrid inverter would pull from both the generator and the batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good information thanks