User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you need a slider, but my preference was the Reese Elite series. I'm not recommending that from the "mine is better than yours" aspect, but you did ask what design features are necessary. For me, I clearly prefer the "single jaw" design and to my knowledge, only the Reese Elite offers it. This model uses a "forged single, self-latching jaw with increased kingpin-jaw contact design". It met all of my other criteria for design, weight rating, etc., so this was the deciding factor for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    It sounds like you need a slider, but my preference was the Reese Elite series. I'm not recommending that from the "mine is better than yours" aspect, but you did ask what design features are necessary. For me, I clearly prefer the "single jaw" design and to my knowledge, only the Reese Elite offers it. This model uses a "forged single, self-latching jaw with increased kingpin-jaw contact design". It met all of my other criteria for design, weight rating, etc., so this was the deciding factor for me.
    Curious as to why the importance of a single jaw? Most big rigs I have seen and driven have dual jaws. My companion slider has dual jaws and I’ve yet to have any issues. Did you have one fail at some point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadandMel View Post
    Curious as to why the importance of a single jaw? Most big rigs I have seen and driven have dual jaws. My companion slider has dual jaws and I’ve yet to have any issues. Did you have one fail at some point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nothing to be curious about. It sounded like solid engineering to me so I decided to buy it. Never had any problems with dual jaw units either - this just seems like a more elegant solution. Point being it was on my selection criteria list.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a low-end dealer provided free Reese that had the slide gate instead of the jaws and it was terrible. Lots of chucking on stops and starts which was accompanied by loud banging. Went to one that had double jaws and took most of the chucking and bangs out of the hitch. I bought the B&W nonslider and was happy with it and I had a short bed one ton. I don't know if B&W better than others but I'm from Kansas and they are made in Kansas and god knows we need the tax money in Kansas.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's a "slide gate"?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing to be curious about. It sounded like solid engineering to me so I decided to buy it. Never had any problems with dual jaw units either - this just seems like a more elegant solution. Point being it was on my selection criteria list.
    I'm also curious as I did seriously consider the Reese Elite with the single jaw. The only thing I couldn't figure out about it is, if I think of that jaw like a hook, I couldn't figure out what contacts the pin where the hook doesn't. (Does that make sense?) To me, that means the jaw is only contacting 180 degrees of a 360 degree pin. Did I miss a feature?

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    I'm also curious as I did seriously consider the Reese Elite with the single jaw. The only thing I couldn't figure out about it is, if I think of that jaw like a hook, I couldn't figure out what contacts the pin where the hook doesn't. (Does that make sense?) To me, that means the jaw is only contacting 180 degrees of a 360 degree pin. Did I miss a feature?

John
    I see your point but Reese claims that the contact surface area is increased. They specifically state: "forged single, self-latching jaw with increased kingpin-jaw contact design", but not knowing how they accomplish that, I'll take them at their word. It's not a hook - it's a tight tolerance C-shaped jaw that comes in from the side - see the attached picture from the bottom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2196.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	13846

You'll also noticed the curved slot - it does not come straight across - it hooks slightly to the rear when closing. It is a very snug fit because sometimes I need to slightly move the truck to open the hitch - it takes pressure off the pin. I never had to do this with a double jaw design.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's a "slide gate"?
    Instead of having a wrap around jaw it has a straight bar that slides across the back to hold the pin in place.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the link to the hitch with slide bar. I would never own another one this style and I never used a Reese with a curved jaw so I really can't comment one way or the other.
    Pro Series Fifth Wheel Slide Bar Jaw Hitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUKWESuwAAA
    Dennis & Ellie

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see your point but Reese claims that the contact surface area is increased. They specifically state: "forged single, self-latching jaw with increased kingpin-jaw contact design", but not knowing how they accomplish that, I'll take them at their word. It's not a hook - it's a tight tolerance C-shaped jaw that comes in from the side - see the attached picture from the bottom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2196.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	13846

You'll also noticed the curved slot - it does not come straight across - it hooks slightly to the rear when closing. It is a very snug fit because sometimes I need to slightly move the truck to open the hitch - it takes pressure off the pin. I never had to do this with a double jaw design.
    Thanks for the picture, that does help explain. And like I said, I seriously considered that hitch. But in the end, I bought a Chevy (if you get my meaning...LOL)

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast