User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for winter destinations in AZ

We are looking for suggestions on where to go for our first snowbird winter. We are traveling from Alberta so are looking at Arizona or Nevada. We are leaving mid-December and returning beginning of March. What we are looking for: warm weather, golf courses with reasonable prices, other nearby activities such as hiking and biking, and access to an international airport as my wife needs to fly back to Alberta during our stay.

We had considered Mesquite Nevada but discovered the average low temp at that time of year is near 32. So now we are thinking the Phoenix area as the weather is warmer and there are lots of golf courses.

We would be grateful for suggestions from experienced snowbirds on picking a location in the Phoenix area and recommendations for good RV parks. Or is there somewhere else in the SW that I may have overlooked?

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bogen2 View Post
    Or is there somewhere else in the SW that I may have overlooked?
    We stay at Outdoor Resort in Palm Springs. There are a lot of wonderful Canadians there. Space rent is expensive but golf is included. 27 holes of par 3 golf. The golf course is in excellent shape. The weather in Palm Springs averages 3-4 degrees warmer than Phoenix during the winter. Space rent is about $1,600/month and another $12/day for "HOA" fees but that includes golf. It's by far the nicest RV resort I've ever stayed at. The airport is 4 miles away. I used to bike but now I hike in the foothills around town. There are zillions of restaurants.

Hiking around Palm Springs:
    https://youtu.be/BJE1I15CG8Q

Outdoor Resort:
    http://orps.com
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant beat the PHX area, plenty of golfing, hiking, biking etc. DON'T go to Palm unless you like paying thru the nose for everything.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't ignore the Tucson area. Many snowbirds call it home in the winter months.

Jim

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not sure I can afford Palm Springs but it sure sounds great. Any RV park suggestions for the Phoenix or Tucson areas?

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stay at Apache Wells in Mesa (almost Apache Junction). Small Park (only 350 sites), 1900 USD for 3 mos. We looked at Hacienda last year, VERY nice park, lots of grass and trees. Sites were a little small for my 373 however. Friends have been staying out at Gold Canyon Golf and RV for the last 9 years, has a 9 hole pitch and putt, not sure of the price. We looked at probably a hundred parks from big to small, from Casa Grand to Wickenburg but settled on the Mesa/Apache Junction area, everything you need is close by and its a short ride on the Harley to the mountain twisties!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apache Wells looks like a really nice spot Bungy! We are coming down south sometime Jan-Apr, 2020 for our first snowbird trip as retirees. Not sure yet where but since we have relatives in Scottsdale and Phoenix, it seemed like a nice spot away from the snowy Minnesota winters. How far in advance would we need to make reservation for 2 months, mid-Jan to mid-Mar? Unfortunately cannot bring my Valkyrie. Perhaps they have rentals around there.
    2018 Solitude 310GK
    2014 RAM SLT 3500 w/Aisin, SRW, crew cab, 8' box, Andersen Ultimate hitch, heated and ventilated seats for the lady.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Just gettin' started...Need to fill the Map!

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bogen2 View Post
    I’m not sure I can afford Palm Springs but it sure sounds great. Any RV park suggestions for the Phoenix or Tucson areas?

Bob
    Voyager RV Resort in Tucson area.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sfreburg View Post
    Apache Wells looks like a really nice spot Bungy! We are coming down south sometime Jan-Apr, 2020 for our first snowbird trip as retirees. Not sure yet where but since we have relatives in Scottsdale and Phoenix, it seemed like a nice spot away from the snowy Minnesota winters. How far in advance would we need to make reservation for 2 months, mid-Jan to mid-Mar? Unfortunately cannot bring my Valkyrie. Perhaps they have rentals around there.
    It wouldn’t hurt to make a res now but I’m sure you’d be alright until the fall.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My brother snow birds south of Tuscon at Green Valley. He never runs out of things to do.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast