User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I apologize, but I don't understand the reference to the "2 screw connector".
    A 2 screw connector is a the Romex connector with the nut. The two screws clamp on the wire and the lock nut threads inside the box. After you put the locknut on, add a 3/4" (I think those are 3/4" threads) add a rigid bushing to protect the wires.

Here is a link for them at The Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-3-...7522/100119169
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EMS-HW50C Installed in my 315RLTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Howard, please take pics and let us know how that project goes. I don't have the EMS-HW50c but am considering one. I have done a lot of work inside the hutch where the panel and converter are. Space is limited in there. It's not like a 5er where you can remove a panel in basement. Hope it goes well and I can pick up some installation tips.
    I got 'er done today. As you requested I made notes and took pictures as I went--see the attached PDF. If something's not clear, please ask!

For those on a slow internet connection--the PDF is ~10M. Shoot me a PM if you want a reduced size copy (the picture quality suffers).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Installing an EMS-HW50C in a 315RLTS.pdf 
Views:	255 
Size:	9.69 MB 
ID:	14212
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard,

Nice write up. I had the same issue with original wires wher they entered the CB box. Mine looks worse.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job Howard!

Those nicked wires seem very common in these trailers.
    Thanks for the PDF, every bit of info helps.

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Howard,
    Nice write up. I had the same issue with original wires wher they entered the CB box. Mine looks worse.
    This is why you should never use a utility knife to cut the cover off of romex!
    2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 3.73 gear ratio, AISIN trans, B&W Companion, Air Lift 7500XL
    2020 Momentum 397TH
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Howard, nice write up. I had the same issue with original wires wher they entered the CB box. Mine looks worse.
    First, thanks. Then, yikes (referencing the cut wires)! What could possibly go wrong, right?
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I got 'er done today. As you requested I made notes and took pictures as I went--see the attached PDF. If something's not clear, please ask!

For those on a slow internet connection--the PDF is ~10M. Shoot me a PM if you want a reduced size copy (the picture quality suffers).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Installing an EMS-HW50C in a 315RLTS.pdf 
Views:	255 
Size:	9.69 MB 
ID:	14212
    Howard - GREAT technical detail and pictures! I don't want to lose the discussion amongst the folks following this thread, but I would like to eventually post a copy of your document to the Library where it will be easier for others to find in the future.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 07-30-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard, nice presentation and a job well done!
    It appears that removing the louvered panel from the face of the hutch was fairly easy by removing some screws. My 2017 doesn't have that panel, it's a solid piece that's stapled in place. I may be able to accomplish the installation by removing the load center and reinstalling rather than tearing off the panel. I have put off doing something like this because I am an electrician and I fear that I would end up with a huge project on my hands because I can't stand the haphazard wiring done on these trailers. It doesn't help being a bit lazy.
    Now I'm going to whip out my soapbox for a minute.

This is not the first time I've seen badly nicked entrance cable insulation on this forum. I hope that you taped up the nicks in the wire insulation. Those nicks would be cause for rejection and replacement by an inspector and I have rejected such work when I was an inspector. As a matter of fact, if there isn't enough slack to restrip and terminate the cable Grand Design should replace the entire run free of charge. Jerry, your damage is particularly egregious. It appears at least one of the strands has been severed. Totally unacceptable.

I urge you and Jerry and anyone else with this issue to contact Grand Design and supply them with photos of this damage. Maybe an email to Bill Martin and a thread in the manufacturers corner addressed to Emily Stahley. If they won't remedy this at least maybe they will make an effort to see that it no longer happens on the line. This kind of dangerous workmanship is not allowed in your stationary sticks and brix, it certainly has no place in your rolling house.
    Rant off.

Howard, you've had your trailer what, 2 weeks? You are a mod monster!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job Howard. Now are you guys ever going to go camping?????

Brian

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another way to resolve the nicked wire insulation (assuming the copper has not been damaged) if you have the wire end disconnected anyway, is to slide a piece of heavy heat shrink insulation over the cut and heat it into place. Not as good as replacing the entire cable or cutting the end back to un-damaged wire . . . but, better than tape. This works best if you can get away with cutting the outer sheath back an inch so that the cut in well within the new heat shrink insulation.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast