User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    I hope that you taped up the nicks in the wire insulation.
    There was plenty of original wire, so I cut off the damaged wire and stripped new ends before installing on the input side of the EMS. No way I was leaving damage like that. I'm not an electrician, but as an avionics technician (still) I knew that damaged wire was unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Howard, you've had your trailer what, 2 weeks? You are a mod monster!
    I've been reading (and accumulating a "to do" list) since December!
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Great job Howard. Now are you guys ever going to go camping?????

Brian
    <laughing> Trust me, I'd like to stop working full time...like now. Maybe soon. In the meantime, Fran and I will use (and learn about) the trailer as much as we can so when I can say, IT'S TIME! (in my best Bruce Buffer voice) we can just GO.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not an electrician, but as an avionics technician (still) I knew that damaged wire was unacceptable.
    46 years for me as Avionics Tech, avionics integration engineer, and now avionics certification engineer, but I too want to retire now.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim,

I contacted GD via email, sent them pictures and talked to them. I was told they could go back to see who exactly wired my trailer via the VIN and would council the installer.

Another poor installation issue I found was one of the #6 wires was not fully inserted into the circuit breaker before screwing down the lug. Look at the breaker as removed. The lug is bottomed out where no way was any wire under it. I could not even unscrew the lug. I had to buy a new 50 amp breaker.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry, I'm glad you contacted GD and let them know about this. It amazes me that there are no requirements for competency when it comes to performing electrical work on RV's. GD should let that guy go. I have let people go for similar things, but at least the errors were caught at inspection. There appears to be no standards or inspection when it comes to wiring an RV.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmike29 View Post
    This is why you should never use a utility knife to cut the cover off of romex!
    mbmike29 - What is the “right” way to remove the outer cover? With smaller gauge wire, I slit it length wise and fold the outer cover to the side and cut it with side cutters. Is this what you are suggesting ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where possible, I use a romex stripping tool. Barring having one available I will slit open the outer sheath longways near the end and then use the inside conductors to rip the sheath open. Having a slice in the conductor insulation - even if you can't see it - can lead to a fire. I am not a licensed electrician, nor did I play one on TV.
    2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 3.73 gear ratio, AISIN trans, B&W Companion, Air Lift 7500XL
    2020 Momentum 397TH
    2014 Victory Cross Country Tour

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry, I just found the same problem you ran into in my power panel. Mine was the Red wire not the Black wire. I didn't take pictures since I was trying to accomplish another task. However, I think an E mail to GD may be in order. At least to let them know there may be a larger issue.
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FordmanNJ View Post
    Jerry, I just found the same problem you ran into in my power panel. Mine was the Red wire not the Black wire. I didn't take pictures since I was trying to accomplish another task. However, I think an E mail to GD may be in order. At least to let them know there may be a larger issue.

Send them an email with your VIN #. They can track down who wired the breaker box. You may want to include my VIN also in that email so they can see if it was the same guy that did mine. My VIN is 573FR3626H3312076.

Jerry
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Send them an email with your VIN #. They can track down who wired the breaker box. You may want to include my VIN also in that email so they can see if it was the same guy that did mine.
    Yes I sent an E mail last night. I had to dig out the paperwork for the trailer but it was done. I said I ran into a similar problem. I would like to documented as it could be part of a larger issue. I too had to replace the breaker and clean up the wiring to the breaker.
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast