User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always get behind the truck and look to make sure the hitch Jaw is around the king pin as well.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    So I watched a YouTube video on how one individual checks his brakes before departure. What he did was pull the emergency brake pin and then attempt to drive forward. Predictably, the wheels on his trailer locked up thus proving the emergency breakaway system worked. Then (with the pin reinserted in the breakaway switch) he manually applied his brake controller and again the wheels locked up when he attempted to drive forward.

Is that what you do? If not, what is your process to ensure the brakes are good prior to departure?

Thank you for your patience as I bombard this forum with questions...the countdown is T-3 days to pickup!

-Howard
    Howard - I think folks are missing that you have a TT and not a fiver. Steve in post 2 gave the advice you need.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Howard - I think folks are missing that you have a TT and not a fiver. Steve in post 2 gave the advice you need.

Dan
    That's OK. I suspect the title will draw newb readers with both TTs and 5rs.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    That's OK. I suspect the title will draw newb readers with both TTs and 5rs.
    Sorry - for some reason I thought you were picking up a new fiver. Oops.

I didn't even know that trailers came with breakaway systems. My last trailer just had chains! I've had a trailer, a class A and two fivers, so it all blends together after a while - especially at my age!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    I wouldn't assume our two units will use the same gain setting. Possibly yes, but possibly no.

My gain is set at 6.5. I initially had it at 5.5 and it felt a little weak i.e. the trailer was pushing the truck a bit. Then I took some lessons from RV School and the instructor set it at 7.5 before we even did any real driving. Well after the lesson, I noticed there was more chucking when I stopped. So I backed it back down to 6.5 and that's where it's stayed for the last 4500 miles of towing. It's been fine.

Make sure you check the level after you've loaded up the trailer. An extra 2k lbs will make a difference.

At 6.5, when you squeeze the brake controller all the way... can you lock-up the brakes on your 28BH?

There is no way I could. I guess I really need to get mine looked at. I requested and the dealer said they pulled them all and checked for greased brakes prior to delivery. I'm suspicious that they didn't. I struggle with it because the brakes pull back strongly on the pickup at 8.0 or 8.5 (where I run them) and 6.5 is probably a better setting for me as well in terms of balance. However, I cannot lock the brakes even at 10, which makes me feel a bit nervous running at even lower settings. I have to set them at 10 just to hold the trailer steady enough to use the slider. I feel like I should be able to lock them at the limit, even with a lower gain setting. Maybe this all comes down to wiring losses due to the gauge of wire GD used from the umbilical to the axles. Anyway, I'm curious about your setup. Thank you.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    At 6.5, when you squeeze the brake controller all the way... can you lock-up the brakes on your 28BH?

There is no way I could. I guess I really need to get mine looked at. I requested and the dealer said they pulled them all and checked for greased brakes prior to delivery. I'm suspicious that they didn't. I struggle with it because the brakes pull back strongly on the pickup at 8.0 or 8.5 (where I run them) and 6.5 is probably a better setting for me as well in terms of balance. However, I cannot lock the brakes even at 10, which makes me feel a bit nervous running at even lower settings. I have to set them at 10 just to hold the trailer steady enough to use the slider. I feel like I should be able to lock them at the limit, even with a lower gain setting. Maybe this all comes down to wiring losses due to the gauge of wire GD used from the umbilical to the axles. Anyway, I'm curious about your setup. Thank you.
    What I did to test it, was to to get the truck and trailer moving at about 15 mph or more, and then I squeezed the brake controller without using the truck brakes. In my case at a gain if 6.5, my truck and trailer came to a stop.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotcha. I was told to test at about 10 mph and dial up the gain until the trailer brakes just barely locked the wheels at full stroke of the controller. Then dial it back one notch. As it is, the trailer definitely stops the truck and trailer but I cannot lock the wheels no matter the gain setting.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrack2015 View Post
    Gotcha. I was told to test at about 10 mph and dial up the gain until the trailer brakes just barely locked the wheels at full stroke of the controller. Then dial it back one notch. As it is, the trailer definitely stops the truck and trailer but I cannot lock the wheels no matter the gain setting.
    I'm not sure you want the wheels to lock. I could wrong. What I was taught to do, is to get the truck/trailer to smoothly stop. When I took my rv driving lessons, the instructor had dialed the gain up to 7.5. I found that the truck would chuck a lot as I was coming to a stop. I had assumed that this was because the braking power of the trailer was too high. When I backed it off to the previous setting of 6.5, the chucking went away at stops.

We just did a 6000 mi trip at 6.5 gain, and I did not have any issues with braking except for wishing for more of it one time in an emergency braking situation. We did manage to stop in time, but I could see why disc brakes would be a help. But that's another subject matter.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I do get some chucking at 8 or 8.5 if I'm braking more than say 20%. I might dial it down a bit and see how it feels. Chucking won't help in an emergency. I wish I could have both smooth stops in normal usage and threshold trailer braking power in an emergency. I'm still discussing discs with the CFO. I'd like to think they would help with this.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A rolling brake check using the manual slide on the controller is on my checklist sheet. I don't turn up the gain to where I lock the brakes on the trailer. just enough that I feel the trailer tugging back on the truck. I prefer my trailer brakes to apply just before my tow vehicle brakes. My gain is usually set around 6 - 6.5.

However I notice a difference between my old truck and its aftermarket trailer brake controller and my new truck factory integrated controller. Controllers are either proportional or time delay and that is why I feel a difference in towing between my two vehicles.
    There is a good article on E-trailer concerning the two different types. https://www.etrailer.com/faq-brakecontroller.aspx

i typically do not check my emergency break away but maybe twice a year just to ensure that it still works.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast