User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to Perform Pre-Departure Trailer Brake Check?

So I watched a YouTube video on how one individual checks his brakes before departure. What he did was pull the emergency brake pin and then attempt to drive forward. Predictably, the wheels on his trailer locked up thus proving the emergency breakaway system worked. Then (with the pin reinserted in the breakaway switch) he manually applied his brake controller and again the wheels locked up when he attempted to drive forward.

Is that what you do? If not, what is your process to ensure the brakes are good prior to departure?

Thank you for your patience as I bombard this forum with questions...the countdown is T-3 days to pickup!

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not pull the break away pin.

Use the brake controller.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Steve. Use manual brake controller in truck each time. I start down our long drive and first apply the brakes slowly to feel the grab while coasting. I then release and then work to lock them up. once I know thay are properly grabbing I am good to go. Check the emergency breakaway pin each season.

Jim
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to make sure the brake controller is set at the correct level. You don't want too much or too little braking. You can test how well the trailer brakes work by just squeezing the trailer brake lever manually from inside your truck.

You will need to set the gain on the controller so that the truck and trailer stop evenly. If it's too low, you'll feel the trailer pushing you. Set it too high and you'll get chucking or the trailer brakes will lock up.

If all you want to know is if the trailer brakes are working, you can find an empty parking lot or a deserted street and just squeeze the trailer brake controller manually without using the truck brakes. This will give you an idea of how well they are working.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    You need to make sure the brake controller is set at the correct level. You don't want too much or too little braking. You can test how well the trailer brakes work by just squeezing the trailer brake lever manually from inside your truck.

You will need to set the gain on the controller so that the truck and trailer stop evenly. If it's too low, you'll feel the trailer pushing you. Set it too high and you'll get chucking or the trailer brakes will lock up.

If all you want to know is if the trailer brakes are working, you can find an empty parking lot or a deserted street and just squeeze the trailer brake controller manually without using the truck brakes. This will give you an idea of how well they are working.
    Good catch and agree, I made the assumption brake levels were already set and you know what ****** U ME means...
    2017 F350 Bronze Fire XLT short bed SuperCab, SRW power stroke Diesel, 3.31 rear end, 18" AT tires
    Demco hijacker autoslide hitch
    2018 303RLS VIN#: 573FR3329J3313328. Built 4/2017. Dual AC's, freestanding table/chairs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    You need to make sure the brake controller is set at the correct level.
    Your 28BH has similar weights to the 315RLTS. (I realize the 28BH is a 5vr while the 315RLTS is a TT.)

Assuming our trucks have the same controller and since the weights of the RVs are so similar--what is your controller setting? I suspect that will give me a good starting point.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Do not pull the break away pin.

Use the brake controller.
    I'd follow Steve's advice - that's how I've been doing it for years.
    Ed & Charlotte W.
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    2017 Chevy 3500HD 2wd DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Your 28BH has similar weights to the 315RLTS. (I realize the 28BH is a 5vr while the 315RLTS is a TT.)

Assuming our trucks have the same controller and since the weights of the RVs are so similar--what is your controller setting? I suspect that will give me a good starting point.
    I wouldn't assume our two units will use the same gain setting. Possibly yes, but possibly no.

My gain is set at 6.5. I initially had it at 5.5 and it felt a little weak i.e. the trailer was pushing the truck a bit. Then I took some lessons from RV School and the instructor set it at 7.5 before we even did any real driving. Well after the lesson, I noticed there was more chucking when I stopped. So I backed it back down to 6.5 and that's where it's stayed for the last 4500 miles of towing. It's been fine.

Make sure you check the level after you've loaded up the trailer. An extra 2k lbs will make a difference.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as I'm ready to pull out on the start of a trip, I put the engine in gear and just take my foot off the brake pedal. As the truck slowly begins to move forward I manually squeeze the brake controller. The trailer brakes will bring the truck to a stop within 5 ft of engaging the brake controller.

I set mine for 6.5 pulling a trailer that weighs 10,500 lbs.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also running at 6.5. After checking to see they work, I'd start at 5 and go about 25mph and make a complete stop, not hard but not too gentle. If that felt OK, try 6. OK, try 7. You'll know when it's too high, the trailer will give a jerk. Back down by half points until it seems like truck and trailer are one. You have reached trailer braking nirvana!
    The gain setting may change as the forward adjusters do their job and the brakes bed in.

Hey Howard! Gettin' a little excited yet?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast