User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another 295rl rolling around hooked to a Tundra

Just picked up our new 2019 295rl a few weeks ago. We had our main voyage to HHI for the 4th. Great experience and couldn't be happier with the purchase.
    Coming from a 32'+/- long TT I wasn't sure what to expect but am very pleased overall. The camper is a little heavier but pulls better, hardly know its back there at times.
    Went with the Curt under mount goose neck combined with the Anderson Ultimate 2. So far I'm pleased with the setup.

Happy Camping
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1040.jpg  

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and welcome. . . . . We to went from a TT to a 5th wheel, love it. . . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome , this seems to be a popular model. We also came from a TT. The backing up is what I am learning. Towing is great though.

Brian

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We love our 295RL and I’m sure you will too! We are also former TT owners and I love the way the much bigger rig tows behind our F150. I’d be interested in what the payload rating is for your Tundra.

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize this is an order thread but I found it while searching for what people are towing with their Tundras. We own a 2015 Tundra 5.7 4X4 double cab 6.5 bed. We had been looking at tow behinds but have had a bit of an opinion switch. So, we have been checking out the smallest fifth wheel that grand design makes (230RL). Of course I bought the truck when we were just considering a towable, do I need to be looking for a new truck? Or is this a comfortable setup?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had similar Tundra. I was towing a TT, but I have an acquaintance that tows a fiver, so it's possible. The biggest issue I had was gas mileage. I was getting around 6mpg when towing. He says he gets 5ish mpg. I switched to a Ram 2500 diesel and get around 13 mpg on long distance tows w a 303rls, and I don't feel like the truck is maxed out, as I did with the Tundra. I loved my Tundra and I think they are great trucks, if you aren't frequently towing or for very short distances you're probably ok on weight, but won't pass many gas stations. Also, getting a fiver into regular gas pumps could present a challenge.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, a lot to consider

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have just over 3000 miles on ours now and get between 8.4-9.1 as before with our tt we could only get 6.8-8.2 mpg going to the same campgrounds. If you can get into a gas station with a tt you should be ok with a 5th wheel. We fill up every 140+/- miles. About two hours of driving and it gives the family a chance to stand up and use the bathroom.
    At this point I don't feel an upgrade is needed, you are only supposed to go 65 mph anyway with a camper and the tundra does great all around. Plenty more to go. No issues stopping etc.
    If you are looking at new trucks, go for a 1 ton which will open the door to many other campers.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephw View Post
    I realize this is an order thread but I found it while searching for what people are towing with their Tundras. We own a 2015 Tundra 5.7 4X4 double cab 6.5 bed. We had been looking at tow behinds but have had a bit of an opinion switch. So, we have been checking out the smallest fifth wheel that grand design makes (230RL). Of course I bought the truck when we were just considering a towable, do I need to be looking for a new truck? Or is this a comfortable setup?
    You need to take into account 3 numbers: maximum payload (off the door sticker) to determine if you have capacity to handle the fully loaded pin weight, maximum tow weight limit to make sure you can pull the GVWR of the rig and the combined weight rating (CGVWR) for the truck and trailer combined. Once you know the truck’s limits you can easily determine which trailers are a possibility.

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bogen2 View Post
    You need to take into account 3 numbers: maximum payload (off the door sticker) to determine if you have capacity to handle the fully loaded pin weight, maximum tow weight limit to make sure you can pull the GVWR of the rig and the combined weight rating (CGVWR) for the truck and trailer combined. Once you know the truck’s limits you can easily determine which trailers are a possibility.

Bob
    Is the pin weight listed in brochures the weight for loaded or unloaded trailer? It has a mark indicating “ based on average weight “. My Tundra has a payload Of 1,400 lbs the Grand Design 230 RL has a pin weight listed of 1,195. I know I am ok to pull the weight of the trailer ( GVWR 9,495) not sure on the combined weight. But I do believe the pin weight is what is going to get me after we throw in me and a passenger and hitch. Am I looking at this correctly?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast