User Tag List

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane Leak Detector

Quote Originally Posted by ACDW-Ottawa View Post
    ...and moved the propane detector closer to the stove, on the side of the island facing the stove.
    I took the quote from another thread as it is related to my question. I'm reading the Reflection TT owner's manual and on page 44 it says the CO alarm is also a propane leak detection alarm. Is this the detector you (ACDW-Ottawa) are referencing or do you have a separate detector?

I need to know because I have a family member that has no sense of smell. Though some may doubt (wouldn't be the first time), she literally has zero sense of smell--nothing.

There's a possibility this family member could be in the RV by herself on occasion. Does anyone have an additional detector in their trailer (other than what came with the unit)? If you do, what brand, how many, and where did you put it (them) in your RV?

Thanks in advance for your counsel on this important topic.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Due to your unusual situation, you might also want to have a propane leak down test done.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide to add additional propane detectors a couple of thoughts:

1. Select a detector approved for RV use. RV approved detectors are designed to take the shaking and travels of an RV. Someone may argue the extra expense isn’t necessary. Why take a chance?

2. Mount the detector near the floor. Propane is heavier than air and collects in low points.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane & Carbon Monoxide Alarms are Clearly Marked

Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I took the quote from another thread as it is related to my question. I'm reading the Reflection TT owner's manual and on page 44 it says the CO alarm is also a propane leak detection alarm. Is this the detector you (ACDW-Ottawa) are referencing or do you have a separate detector?

I need to know because I have a family member that has no sense of smell. Though some may doubt (wouldn't be the first time), she literally has zero sense of smell--nothing.

There's a possibility this family member could be in the RV by herself on occasion. Does anyone have an additional detector in their trailer (other than what came with the unit)? If you do, what brand, how many, and where did you put it (them) in your RV?

Thanks in advance for your counsel on this important topic.

-Howard
    Hi Howard

Check the Alarm you have in your RV. Some are Propane Alarms and some are dual purpose Propane Alarm AND Carbon Monoxide Alarm. Check the face of your alarm as they are clearly marked on the face as shown in the attached photos for the "SAFE T ALERT" alarms.

Propane Alarm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV Propane Alarm.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	13978

Propane Alarm & Carbon Monoxide Alarm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV Propane And CO2 Alarm.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	285.9 KB 
ID:	13979[
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure we have a propane detector. When I first got the trailer home, I ran the fridge on propane to make sure it worked.

When I entered the trailer the next morning, there was an alarm blaring and I smelled a chemical odor . I had never smelled propane before so I wasn't sure it was propane.

However the fridge was not cold. So I shut the tanks down.

When I brought it in to the dealer, I was advised there was a propane leak due to a pinched line, whatever that meant.

I would get a couple of extra propane alarms anyway and scatter them around the coach.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Locate the alarms near propane devices and propane lines which is usally in the kitchen. Anywhere else is useless unless they are interconnected to all sound when any alarm goes off. You find those in houses but dont believe they exist in the RV world.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. Yes, the 315RLTS has a combined carbon monoxide and propane leak detector. I'll probably add one additional detector as a backup to the main one...just in case.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Thanks everyone. Yes, the 315RLTS has a combined carbon monoxide and propane leak detector. I'll probably add one additional detector as a backup to the main one...just in case.
    Howard - You will probably find that you have another carbon monoxide detector over the bed. It looks like the smoke detector in the hallway, but is actually a CO detector.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS