User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OIF/OEFveteran View Post
    There's a cable hatch? Where's that?

How many feet was the POE Ethernet? Did you have to buy an aftermarket spool in order to connect the adapter to the mast?
    The cable hatch is in the floor of the basement under the power receptacle.

I had a 75’ Ethernet cable already, which is a bit long for my needs but is well within the limits for Ethernet.

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Bob. This is definitely helpful.

And, I learned something new today - the name for the hatch in the basement.
    Iraq/Afghanistan Veteran - UMICH BBA, M.B.A.
    2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali 6.0
    2018 Grand Design 150 series Reflection 290 BH
    Bride - Anna, Son - Robert, and Gracie "the dog"
    Flint, Michigan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Custom WiFi antenna

Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I've never been a fan of trying to boost a signal or connection to campground Wi-Fi. I think the bandwidth at almost every campground is bad. So I could never see trying to get a better signal to a low bandwidth situation.

I've tried it. With commercial grade antennas (directional and omni-directional) and a repeaters. Sure - I get a better signal, but the speed increase is hardly noticeable or worth the effort.

When campgrounds care enough to really throttle back people who stream or increase their bandwidth to accommodate all those people I'll try again. In the meantime I'm not spending another dime to try to make their terrible situation better.

One more note - I have been at some places that care enough and do have good bandwidth. I find these places don't need a repeater or booster as they also care enough to provide good coverage. So, again, no need to spend my money. Oddly enough, one of those places that did care was in Monticello, UT; hardly a metropolitan area or busy campground, but the owner cared enough to ask folks what their Wi-Fi experience was using their connection.

I'm don't mean to bash anyone's efforts. I just am saying in my experience it wasn't worth the money I spent trying.
    I paid $75 for the Ubiquiti Nanostation M2.
    Installed a couple days ago and was getting 20-30 Mbps download speed, from an RV park WiFi. Plus I’m encrypting the signal and rebroadcasting it under my own SSID.
    Completely worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the info bogen2!
    Ben & Camille
    2022 Ford F450 King Ranch
    B&W Factory Puck 5th Wheel Hitch
    2016 Reflection 303RLS 4/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bogen2 View Post
    I decided to try putting together a WiFi antenna system to improve the signal when in an RV park. The off-the-shelf solutions are pretty expensive so I figured I could MacGyver something together. I found a great write up on using a mast-mounted directional antenna and wifi access point to boost the signal.
    http://davidelmore.com/djv/wifi-repeater/

I ordered a Nanostation loco M2 antenna off Amazon for $70 ...

Attachment 13909

Bob
    I just noticed something Bob.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the unit referenced in David's write up is not the one you installed and photographed.

The device David installed in his writeup is the Ubiquiti Nano M2. It has a 13 km range.
    However, the device you have in your photo is the Ubiquiti Loco M2, which is physically half the size and only has a range of 5 km.

I'd say send the Loco back and get the upgraded range of the Nano, it's definitely worth it.

I installed the Nano a few months ago myself. About a month ago, while boon docking in the desert I was able to connect to a free hotspot on the other side of the lake, 14.7 Km away !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nano 9.1 miles.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	16359

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DMB, I chose the Nano model because I felt that 5 km would do the job in an RV park. But I really haven’t had a chance to use it as all of the parks we went to this summer had upgraded wifi with access points throughout the park. And it probably won’t be long until 2.4 ghz will be replaced with 5 ghz wifi which means upgrading to the Nanostation M5.

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Custom WiFi antenna

Quote Originally Posted by bogen2 View Post
    DMB, I chose the Nano model because I felt that 5 km would do the job in an RV park. But I really haven’t had a chance to use it as all of the parks we went to this summer had upgraded wifi with access points throughout the park. And it probably won’t be long until 2.4 ghz will be replaced with 5 ghz wifi which means upgrading to the Nanostation M5.

Bob
    Actually, you chose the loco model, which was my point.
    The nano is the one with the longer range.
    But if all you do is sit in RV parks then you don't need the long range unit.
    At any rate, 5 ghz isn't an upgrade for me, since it won't go through buildings and trees like 2.4 ghz.
    According to the Ubiquiti website, both the 2.4 and 5 ghz units have 150 Mbps throughput, so you’re not going to get better speeds unless I’m missing something.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbailey View Post
    Thanks for the post, I have been wanting to do something like this as well. Question:

Do you know if the devices you are using actually run off 110 or are they converted down? I ask because I was thinking of trying to control the power through my Command Center running nearer the actual voltage consumed. My idea here is that for Walmart/public lots we stay in, I could use it off batteries at a much more efficient draw.
    I don't know what his router uses but the Nanostation M2's will run just fine off of 12V. I've done it many times. They use passive PoE which is just voltage applied to unused wires in the 8-pin ethernet cable (as opposed to active PoE like you have in businesses for running phones, etc). I believe the spec is something like 10 to 24v that they will accept.

Here are the pinouts (it's for a Bullet, but same power) https://community.ubnt.com/t5/Bullet...uts/td-p/24537

The nanostations (and Bullets) are very good gear for the money. Powerful wifi and decent antennas.
    Last edited by DarthMuffin; 11-19-2018 at 04:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My Nano runs on 110 ac.
    But every thing in our Reflection is run off our inverter when we’re boondocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Custom WiFi antenna

I had to share this...

I'm in the desert about half an hour outside Quartzite and even though there's nothing around here to connect to,
    just out of curiosity I raised the antenna, found an access point and connected to it, and it's almost 16 miles away!
    That's just nuts! lol I love this Nano.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast