User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom WiFi antenna

I decided to try putting together a WiFi antenna system to improve the signal when in an RV park. The off-the-shelf solutions are pretty expensive so I figured I could MacGyver something together. I found a great write up on using a mast-mounted directional antenna and wifi access point to boost the signal.
    http://davidelmore.com/djv/wifi-repeater/

I ordered a Nanostation loco M2 antenna off Amazon for $70 and used these instructions to configure the antenna as a router. This part could be a bit tricky if you don’t have any understanding of networks, but the instructions are pretty good. Basically you configure the antenna as a router that is connected to the campground’s wifi access point, which you do through a web browser. Then connect your computer or phone to the RV’s access point and you are in business.

Here comes a semi-technical explanation for the geeks. You don’t need to understand this paragraph to make it all work.

The antenna/router is connected by a POE Ethernet cable to a wifi access point - I used an Apple AirPort but almost any brand should work. A Power-over-Ethernet (POE) adapter is included with the antenna so you don’t have to run power to the antenna as well. Configure the AP as a wifi bridge so that it doesn’t do anything except provide local wifi service. The router\antenna runs NAT and DHCP so that all local wifi connections are routed through the local AP to the antenna. Devices obtain their IP address from the router which does NAT so multiple devices can be connected.

Next I put up the mast. This is a directional antenna, so the idea is to extend it high above the other trailers and point it at the building containing the campground’s wifi router. I bought a painter’s telescoping extension pole - its a 3 piece 12’ aluminum pole with a threaded end for attaching a standard paint roller. I attached it to the rig’s ladder using hose clamps. I cut the handle off an old paint roller and attached the antenna to that using a hose clamp. Then I just screwed it onto the threads on the top of the mast, connected a long Ethernet cord and then extended the pole. Rotated the pole so the antenna faced toward the signal and tightened the clamps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28A35B69-93EC-4786-A767-6A7BC1E09A0B.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	938.0 KB 
ID:	13910

Name:	1033466B-8073-44B5-8885-21F430C0FB7A.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	906.4 KB 
ID:	13911

Name:	C2C06424-59A7-4068-97D6-A539A82BC33F.jpeg 
Views:	230 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	13909

I mounted the AP in the empty space under the stairs. Then put the POE adapter and a power bar on the wall next to the basement door. This way I can turn the whole system on with the switch on the power bar. Connected the AP to the LAN port on the adapter with a short Ethernet cable. Then I ran the Ethernet cable from the antenna in through the cable hatch under the basement floor and plugged into the POE on the adapter.

Name:	9ABC3EE9-3292-447B-8D4E-79B3321B0026.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	13905

Name:	CA0A6C4E-FDAF-444F-B33B-9B84097092FF.jpg 
Views:	205 
ID:	13908

Everything seems to work in my backyard, but the true test will be on the next trip.

Bob
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Very Nice! Oh, cool, I have 3 stars now!

Great looking install!
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the post, I have been wanting to do something like this as well. Question:

Do you know if the devices you are using actually run off 110 or are they converted down? I ask because I was thinking of trying to control the power through my Command Center running nearer the actual voltage consumed. My idea here is that for Walmart/public lots we stay in, I could use it off batteries at a much more efficient draw.
    Ben & Camille
    2022 Ford F450 King Ranch
    B&W Factory Puck 5th Wheel Hitch
    2016 Reflection 303RLS 4/2015

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both the wifi access point and POE have to be connected to AC power. I have a 1000w inverter that powers all the receptacles which will let me run the antenna/router when boondocking.

Bob
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been a fan of trying to boost a signal or connection to campground Wi-Fi. I think the bandwidth at almost every campground is bad. So I could never see trying to get a better signal to a low bandwidth situation.

I've tried it. With commercial grade antennas (directional and omni-directional) and a repeaters. Sure - I get a better signal, but the speed increase is hardly noticeable or worth the effort.

When campgrounds care enough to really throttle back people who stream or increase their bandwidth to accommodate all those people I'll try again. In the meantime I'm not spending another dime to try to make their terrible situation better.

One more note - I have been at some places that care enough and do have good bandwidth. I find these places don't need a repeater or booster as they also care enough to provide good coverage. So, again, no need to spend my money. Oddly enough, one of those places that did care was in Monticello, UT; hardly a metropolitan area or busy campground, but the owner cared enough to ask folks what their Wi-Fi experience was using their connection.

I'm don't mean to bash anyone's efforts. I just am saying in my experience it wasn't worth the money I spent trying.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I've never been a fan of trying to boost a signal or connection to campground Wi-Fi. I think the bandwidth at almost every campground is bad. So I could never see trying to get a better signal to a low bandwidth situation.

I've tried it. With commercial grade antennas (directional and omni-directional) and a repeaters. Sure - I get a better signal, but the speed increase is hardly noticeable or worth the effort.

When campgrounds care enough to really throttle back people who stream or increase their bandwidth to accommodate all those people I'll try again. In the meantime I'm not spending another dime to try to make their terrible situation better.

One more note - I have been at some places that care enough and do have good bandwidth. I find these places don't need a repeater or booster as they also care enough to provide good coverage. So, again, no need to spend my money. Oddly enough, one of those places that did care was in Monticello, UT; hardly a metropolitan area or busy campground, but the owner cared enough to ask folks what their Wi-Fi experience was using their connection.

I'm don't mean to bash anyone's efforts. I just am saying in my experience it wasn't worth the money I spent trying.
    I don't know if you intended to or not, but you make a good point. With improving coverage and bandwidth, coupled with better unlimited cell data plans, its hardly worth messing with wifi boosters.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bogen2 View Post
    I decided to try putting together a WiFi antenna system to improve the signal when in an RV park. The off-the-shelf solutions are pretty expensive so I figured I could MacGyver something together. I found a great write up on using a mast-mounted directional antenna and wifi access point to boost the signal.
    http://davidelmore.com/djv/wifi-repeater/

I ordered a Nanostation loco M2 antenna off Amazon for $70 and used these instructions to configure the antenna as a router. This part could be a bit tricky if you don’t have any understanding of networks, but the instructions are pretty good. Basically you configure the antenna as a router that is connected to the campground’s wifi access point, which you do through a web browser. Then connect your computer or phone to the RV’s access point and you are in business.

Here comes a semi-technical explanation for the geeks. You don’t need to understand this paragraph to make it all work.

The antenna/router is connected by a POE Ethernet cable to a wifi access point - I used an Apple AirPort but almost any brand should work. A Power-over-Ethernet (POE) adapter is included with the antenna so you don’t have to run power to the antenna as well. Configure the AP as a wifi bridge so that it doesn’t do anything except provide local wifi service. The router\antenna runs NAT and DHCP so that all local wifi connections are routed through the local AP to the antenna. Devices obtain their IP address from the router which does NAT so multiple devices can be connected.

Next I put up the mast. This is a directional antenna, so the idea is to extend it high above the other trailers and point it at the building containing the campground’s wifi router. I bought a painter’s telescoping extension pole - its a 3 piece 12’ aluminum pole with a threaded end for attaching a standard paint roller. I attached it to the rig’s ladder using hose clamps. I cut the handle off an old paint roller and attached the antenna to that using a hose clamp. Then I just screwed it onto the threads on the top of the mast, connected a long Ethernet cord and then extended the pole. Rotated the pole so the antenna faced toward the signal and tightened the clamps.

Name:	28A35B69-93EC-4786-A767-6A7BC1E09A0B.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	938.0 KB 
ID:	13910

Name:	1033466B-8073-44B5-8885-21F430C0FB7A.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	906.4 KB 
ID:	13911

Name:	C2C06424-59A7-4068-97D6-A539A82BC33F.jpeg 
Views:	230 
ID:	13909

I mounted the AP in the empty space under the stairs. Then put the POE adapter and a power bar on the wall next to the basement door. This way I can turn the whole system on with the switch on the power bar. Connected the AP to the LAN port on the adapter with a short Ethernet cable. Then I ran the Ethernet cable from the antenna in through the cable hatch under the basement floor and plugged into the POE on the adapter.

Name:	9ABC3EE9-3292-447B-8D4E-79B3321B0026.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	13905

Name:	CA0A6C4E-FDAF-444F-B33B-9B84097092FF.jpg 
Views:	205 
ID:	13908

Everything seems to work in my backyard, but the true test will be on the next trip.

Bob
    Where/how did you run the POE ethernet? It looks like it's under the rig but above the frame.
    Iraq/Afghanistan Veteran - UMICH BBA, M.B.A.
    2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali 6.0
    2018 Grand Design 150 series Reflection 290 BH
    Bride - Anna, Son - Robert, and Gracie "the dog"
    Flint, Michigan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where/how did you run the POE ethernet? It looks like it's under the rig but above the frame.
    I just run it from the POE adapter through the cable hatch and along the ground to the mast. When we hit the road I will disconnect the cable and store it. I might cable tie it to the frame if we’re staying for an extended time.

Bob
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bogen2 View Post
    I just run it from the POE adapter through the cable hatch and along the ground to the mast. When we hit the road I will disconnect the cable and store it. I might cable tie it to the frame if we’re staying for an extended time.

Bob
    There's a cable hatch? Where's that?

How many feet was the POE Ethernet? Did you have to buy an aftermarket spool in order to connect the adapter to the mast?
    Iraq/Afghanistan Veteran - UMICH BBA, M.B.A.
    2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali 6.0
    2018 Grand Design 150 series Reflection 290 BH
    Bride - Anna, Son - Robert, and Gracie "the dog"
    Flint, Michigan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    There are 2 likely points of failure for WiFi. One is congestion on the internet connected access point due to an excessive number of connections or low bandwidth (or both), which you have no control over. The other is the signal strength from your device to the park’s WiFi, which you may have some control over. If you don’t get enough “bars” it won’t matter how good the park’s wifi is.

My goal was to get above the sea of metal boxes between me and the AP to get the best connection possible. That way I’ll get at least as good a connection as those people hanging around the park office trying to catch up on emails and web surfing.

Bob
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast