User Tag List

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Need advice from Washington state residents

We’re currently camping on the coast in Long Beach, Washington, heading North to Ocean City tomorrow, and I’m looking at the route as best I can on Google maps.
    I figured we’d take 101 North from here then jump on 109 Westbound in Hoquiam.
    Some of the roads I’ve driven along the coast in Oregon to get here were pretty scary (for a native Texan), so I was wondering if there were any locals here on this forum that could let me know how good/bad/scary this route will be for someone pulling a small 5th wheel camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I haven't traveled that specific road I have pulled a bit along the pacific coast with my 41' Momentum. TX and FL have similar roads, long and flat. These roads are hilly and curvy. So it took some getting used to. But I never had a significant problem with them. I took it slow and easy and pulled out when I started to back traffic up.

The only time I was scared was when I met a tractor trailer rig on a tight blind corner. I ended up dropping wheels off the road, there was no shoulder. I didn't sustain any damage and how we didn't swap paint I will never know.

If I had your itty bitty 27' trailer I would be a lot braver.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have driven cars, trucks and trailers over these roads many times over the years. You shouldn't have any problems when using due care and caution. I will admit though, that a loaded log truck coming at you full rush around a curve can tighten the sphincter a bit.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    Jim & Gwen
    2015 Solitude 379fl, VIN 573FS4324F1102454
    2011 F-350 SC, DRW, 6.7 PSD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, Pull-Rite 20.5 K
    "You can't get lost if you don't care where you're going"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    While I haven't traveled that specific road I have pulled a bit along the pacific coast with my 41' Momentum. TX and FL have similar roads, long and flat. These roads are hilly and curvy. So it took some getting used to. But I never had a significant problem with them. I took it slow and easy and pulled out when I started to back traffic up.

The only time I was scared was when I met a tractor trailer rig on a tight blind corner. I ended up dropping wheels off the road, there was no shoulder. I didn't sustain any damage and how we didn't swap paint I will never know.

If I had your itty bitty 27' trailer I would be a lot braver.
    Lol

The other “real” fifth wheels, the big ones like yours, usually shun me. I can usually hear them laughing “it’s so tiny”.

[emoji6]

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at Google map, 109 dead-ends at Taholah.
    "Taholah is a census-designated place on the Quinault Indian Reservation, in Grays Harbor County, Washington, United States. Named for a Quinault chief in 1905, its population was 840 at the 2010 census.Wikipedia"

It looks pretty primitive on the reservation.

Are you headed to the Olympic National Park area?

I know you are also headed to Forks. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Looking at Google map, 109 dead-ends at Taholah.
    "Taholah is a census-designated place on the Quinault Indian Reservation, in Grays Harbor County, Washington, United States.
    Named for a Quinault chief in 1905, its population was 840 at the 2010 census.Wikipedia"

It looks pretty primitive on the reservation.
    Are you headed to the Olympic National Park area?

I know you are also headed to Forks. KEN
    We made it, wasn't too bad of a drive, just super twisty roads and a lot of places where I was only going 25 to 35 mph for miles.
    It wasn't near as scary as driving along the coast in Oregon, where we had 500 foot drop offs next to twisty 2 laned roads!

Yea, we're going to look into the NP areas around here since we're here for 2 weeks.
    Forks is still 2 hours North but my wife is a huge Twilight fan so we're heading up there tomorrow or Wednesday morning to check it out.
    Hoping to see some vampires or werewolves.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Lol

The other “real” fifth wheels, the big ones like yours, usually shun me. I can usually hear them laughing “it’s so tiny”.

[emoji6]

I am glad you saw my post in the light in which it was intended, my feeble attempts at humor.

In reality, it is better to have a 27-30' RV, it is much more practical than what we have, ours is a monster. Why have one so big? We are spoiled by our houses, we miss the space, we have a lot of stuff that we take with us.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    For sure, I like being able to fit into practically any campground but I wish our tanks were bigger, like the ones in the Momentums.