User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll maintain that if you're towing a 30'+ bunkhouse with a 1/2-ton crew cab loaded with the family you're most likely overweight.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENN22 View Post
    I was just discussing the need for an Umbrella policy with a friend over the weekend. My insurance rep strongly suggested it and I took his advice. I was surprised at how inexpensive it was to add to my policy. I think everyone should educate themselves on what an Umbrella policy is and add it to their existing insurance coverage.
    We also have an umbrella policy for $1 million
    Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2020 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 Red and Black Ram Rebel

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butch50 View Post
    We also have an umbrella policy for $1 million
    I think most RVers ought to have an umbrella policy. When we had our 5er we were doing 64 miles MPH when we come over hill and traffic was stopped. We ended up slamming on the brakes and stopping just short of rear-ending a line of cars. Weighing in at 20,000 pounds GCWR we could cause a lot of damage far exceeding a standard policy coverage.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happens to a fifth wheel when you rear end someone? Does it break the hitch and come crashing into the truck?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a very similar conversation with an auto accident attorney that I know. They are paying attention as this is another source of revenue for them. Just cause you cant Google it, doesn't mean it's not happening. Insurance companies are best known for keeping cases out of court and out of the news.
    Take care,
    Chris
    2017 Momentum 350M
    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD Dually w/ B&W Companion Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did weight come from

Quote Originally Posted by theclarks View Post
    Butch, we went thru the CAT Scales after picking up our 303, Pin was 1920# empty or so I thought, couple that with what I thought the payload of my Chevy 2500HD was at 3100 turned out to 2600# and 200# PullRite Hitch I was close to being over from the get go. . . . . .
    Butch,

Our new 303RLS with two full gas tanks and the battery only tipped the scales at 1710 pounds. I wonder where you are picking up that extra two hundred pounds on a empty trailer.
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffdawgfan View Post
    Our new 303RLS with two full gas tanks and the battery only tipped the scales at 1710 pounds. I wonder where you are picking up that extra two hundred pounds on a empty trailer.
    We did have 2 vent covers added (bedroom & bathroom) and slide covers to both street side slides. Hind sight is always 20/20, the only thing I can come with up now is maybe water in the tanks. At the Goshen Rally last year the trailer had a gross weight of 10,900 with a pin of 2300. I'm thinking of getting a scale to weigh the pin as we load, may add water to the fresh tank since it's at the rear of the trailer to see how that affects the pin weight. . . . .
    Joe & Dee
    Ontario, Ohio
    2018 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab SRW Short Bed Payload 3523#
    2019 Reflection 337RLS bought February 2019 Dry Pin Weight = 2,320#, UVW = 11,100#
    Hitch - PullRite Super Glide 2700 - 16K
    Bed Cover - Roll-N-Lock
    TPMS - Tire Tracker TT-500 (non flow thru)
    Rear Observation Camera - Rear View Safety model RVS-155W-FB (2400-2500MHZ)

2017 303RLS bought April 2017 / Traded February 2019

Map represents States visited with our 303RLS /337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffdawgfan View Post
    Butch,

I think most of it is coming from the Reese Airbourne Sidewinder pin box. That thing weighs almost 200# compared to the stock. I don't know what the stock weighs but I know I can pick it up and carry it no problems, and I'm an old guy. Also I don't know if your's is dual panes or not but ours is of course that won't add much to the pin weight. The 12 cu ft fridge is a mandatory option on ours so that is going to add some to the pin weight. The 8 cu ft one weighs around 130# and the 12 cu ft one 260# per Dometic web site. So 130# difference in the fridge and some 120# or more on the pin box is at least accounts for 250#. All of the fridge weight won't go on the pin but a lot well.

I just looked up my weight scale slips going and coming and going up my rear axle was 3900# and coming back with the trailer the rear axle 5920# which makes it 2020# pin weight, I thought that is what it was but now I have verified it.

On Edit: I forgot that we also had slide toppers on all three slides added before picking up, the bathroom fan was removed and a Max air with remote was installed with cover. I know those don't add much but everything adds more.
    Butch

2020 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhenson View Post
    What happens to a fifth wheel when you rear end someone? Does it break the hitch and come crashing into the truck?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I doubt that the 5th wheel hitch would break but even if they did the basement compartment is going to run into the back of bed of the truck before the overhang would hit the rear of the cab. Figure even on my Ram SB I have over 34" between the cab and the front of the overhang. I don't have that much between the back of the bed and the front of the basement compartment.
    Butch

2020 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am preparing for the purchase of a Grand Design Momentum 351M in the foreseeable future and have ordered a new Dodge Ram 4500 that will be used as my tow vehicle. My current 3500 is more than enough, but I want the bigger brakes, frame, springs and tires/wheels. I also pull a steel deck gooseneck trailer with two 8,000# axles and 17.5" load range G tires. I wish I could get the same axles under the 351M!
    In Georgia, we can now get a class "E/F" license. It allows for operation of commercial vehicles for personal use. I am about to renew my license and will be prepared for the toy hauler purchase with the new classification. Currently, I have a "farm endorsement" which basically allows the same thing, except is limited to only agricultural use.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast