User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a combination of low interest rates, the retiring baby boomers, and a yearning in society for some freedom. People are locked away in their offices all day. The commute long distances in heavy traffic. Then they drive into their garages and close the door behind them isolating them from the rest of society except for when they reach out via social media. Camping allows them to get away from it all so to speak in whatever manner that means of them. It doesn't have to be pre-packaged slick brochure fun.

In our case with three young kids, I took early retirement so that I could spend more time with them. Traveling and staying at hotels is a big issue. Unless we are willing to lie and sneak in the third kid, hotels usually force us to rent two rooms. It gets expensive very quickly.

Traveling the entire summer in our RV allows us to bond as a family and share more experiences.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This genxer just got tired of sleeping in tents in dusty campgrounds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of the listed reasons are valid. But we also have to include the millennials. With the advent of the internet and portable connectivity more and more of our millennials are choosing to work will traveling the country. Most have no kids or very young kids. Those with school age kids are home schooling (something we never even thought of). Home prices are out of reach, much easier to purchase a TT/5th wheel and work/travel.

I have a friend (co-worker for 20+ years) whose son and daughter-in-law work for a company in Austin, but they spent May in North Carolina, June in Virginia and July will be spent in Pennsylvania. Find a campground on Monday, stay to Friday and then move to another campground. Fly to Austin on the companies nickel once a month. Something the "full-timers" do but their numbers are beginning to pale compared to the millennials that travel that way.

Us old folks are used to having personal contact either with family or co-workers, the younger group does not need that contact. They have face-time, skype or video conferencing. No setting in a conference room with co-workers figuring out how to do something.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For us...it is partly because of our four fur babies. We like to travel but trying to find a hotel that will take a single dog much less four is all but impossible. IF you do find one, the non-refundable "deposit" they require is ridiculous. Looking at all costs, taking short trips in RV for any distance is not much of a savings by the time you look at diesel fuel, cost of a tow vehicle, cost of trailer, campsite etc. You can save money on longer trips on average.and of course it is much nicer being in your own bed and bathroom vs what you may encounter in a hotel.....And we just enjoy the outdoors and camaraderie of meeting other RV'ers.
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS
    TV 2017 Nissan Titan XD CC Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought our 303 in 2015 to travel and visit our 3 kids and their new growing families. In the years since then 2 or our 3 married kids have bought rigs for their young growing families, and our youngest is now looking with her husband for a rig. It's contagious...... we camped with our kids when they were young in a tent and then a tent trailer. They see how much easier it is in a self contained rig with young kids and have jumped in feet first. We have 4 sites next year in Colter Bay (Tetons) for the whole fam damily.
    Brian and Paula- Truckee, CA
    2015 Reflection 303
    2017 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummings Turbo, Aisin HD Transmission
    B&W Companion Slider, Firestone Air Bags, Compressor with wireless remote

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm an early retirement boomer so I fit the image portrayed. And yes, over the next several years it will [hopefully] be cheaper than traveling the US and Canada by plains, trains, automobiles and hotels/restaurants. Gas is cheaper now too... we'll see what happens if it hits $4-$5/gallon again. Then 10mpg won't sound too good.
    Howard & Ellen

2018 RAM Rebel Hemi 27700 miles
    2018 Imagine 2600RB 10704 miles
    Equal-i-zer 14,000 hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too fit the boomer description. My wife is retired and I’m deciding to hang in a bit longer because I still enjoy the work. We have never camped before but bought our first travel trailer last year. We just got back from a 2400 mile adventure to the Black Hills and Badlands of South Dakota. We had a great time!
    Our motivation was my wife not wanting to stay in hotels after years of travel for work. She’s seen plenty and of airports and hotels and wanted to see the country via our highway system. Is there a better way to travel? I think not!
    Safe travels Everybody,
    Vince and Peg
    Kennedy (Bernese Mountain Dog)
    2017 Chevy Suburban Premier Edition w/max tow pkg.
    2018 GD Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our plan was to get a 45-50' trawler and go full time liveaboard. We'd do our first year in FL waters, the 2nd year in the Bahamas, and then decide on 3rd year of either heading down island to the Caribbean, or back to FL, or sell it outright and buy another home - albeit much smaller than before.

Then life got in the way in the form of fractured shoulders (3 of them, wife 2, me 1), total knee replacements (wife needs 2), back/neck problems/surgeries, and we began to ask the question "if we get into 4-6' seas, we simply can't pull over for the night". So that brought us to looking at RVs. Very similar to boats, but without the issue of getting thrown around in a storm.

So now we've got nearly 1 year under our belt owning an RV and have realized that we like it. We've found a couple of great sites that we love, and have a strategy going forward that will allow us to live very comfortably and still travel. We left the Ft. Myers home in mid-May, and won't be back until early November. We'll be going home to do Thanksgiving, Christmas/New Years, and then preparing to sell the home. We're down to the short list on a 2nd trailer (new 5th wheel) which we'll park in place here in N. GA, and will keep the current 313rlts to travel around with.

The point is, I've never been able to really plant roots - always too adventurous - so this lifestyle will afford us the opportunity to live very comfortably and travel where we want to. When the time comes to put on the Depends and drink the Ensure, we'll get rid of the trailers and sit in the rocking chairs somewhere.

But we're not there yet!
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’re early retiring boomers. I couldn’t agree more about the conditions driving the RV boom. We’re both glad to get off the squirrel cage and back into the outdoors we used to enjoy in our youth. We’re still anchored to the stick and brick at least until the youngest finishes college and moves out (he’s going local).

Back in our DINK* years we travelled and tent camped a lot. I also skied 30-35 days a season, went white water rafting with the DW every chance we had and did it all while working full time and going to grad school. Now I can’t comprehend how that was even possible but that was our reality. These days we like taking long meandering RV trips to visit mostly retired friends and relatives around the country. We still tuck in a national or state park or rec area where we can on these trips. Living in the centennial state also affords ample opportunity to take shorter, impromptu RV trips to the high country to hike, kayak or fish.

We prefer boondocking and state park camping to commercial campgrounds - not because we’re antisocial (we’re not), but because there’s still a little nature-loving, wood-fired flame keeping the pilot house warm and toasty.

* DINK: Dual Income No Kids.
    Steve and Cheryl

2017 Momentum 328M w/Dual Pane Windows and 3rd A/C. Aftermarket mods: Titan EOH Disc Brakes, MORryde IS suspension and Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box
    2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn Megacab 4x4 DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axles and a Reese 20K puck mount hitch
    Call sign: AAØSB, Class: Extra

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Why is RV'ing so Popular Nowadays ?????

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast