User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My post was offensive. I apologize for the negative inference I made, it was not intentional.
    Last edited by D2Reid; 07-23-2018 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Offensive inference
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I are in our lower 40's with a pre-teen. We bought an RV because I finally have a job where I can work from wherever has a semi-decent internet + cell signal. Additionally, we are at a point in our careers where we can afford a "2nd house". We figured we would make it mobile so when we get tired of a location, we can move it. For now, we do < 10 day trips (vacation mode) since we have fixed home obligations (cats to take care of).

We just got done doing a 4 day trip to Sedona where I put the "work remotely" to test. I didn't tell anyone at work I was somewhere else and for all intents and purposes, I was at my job normally. What they didn't see was me sitting in my chair lounging back with a peaceful creek waterfall in the background.
    2017 Solitude 377MBS
    2018 Ram 2500 with diesel and air assist suspension.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raybbj View Post
    I keep reading all over the internet how RV'ing is more popular than ever these days. This is certainly evident given how hard it is to find a campsite at popular destinations on long weekends or even regular weekends. At our local campgrounds a few years back there were even scalpers along side the highway selling campsites at a jacked up price on Friday evenings during the summer.

Any theories why the surge in popularity? I know better build quality and QA processes is not the reason. The average RV cost has not come down over the years. The cost of a 1 ton truck is through the roof. The cost of fuel is high, etc.
    RV's are so nice these days (42"LCD TV, recliners, 50 amp service, slide outs, solar technology, microwaves, etc) maybe more people find RV'ing more attractive that would normally thumb their nose at the idea.

Any thoughts? I was just curious.

Cheers.
    All good comments that sound valid to me. In California at least in the Bay area and North, housing costs have gone through the roof and a lot of people who make very high six figure salaries can't afford a house so trailer parks and campgrounds have become a cheaper alternative for those who want to live in the bay area and Silicon Valley. Some campgrounds and resorts are almost impossible to get a spot for a weekend getaway unless you book a year in advance. The other thing I've noticed is that very small trailers that can be towed with a small crossover SUV are all the rage right now and you see them everywhere! Small, lightweight and relatively inexpensive trailers have opened the door for a lot of people who want to camp and don't have a large full size tow rig. Coop
    Steve & Cindy
    2018 Imagine 2250RK
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax Denali

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redspeed3` View Post
    My wife and I are in our lower 40's with a pre-teen. We bought an RV because I finally have a job where I can work from wherever has a semi-decent internet + cell signal. Additionally, we are at a point in our careers where we can afford a "2nd house". We figured we would make it mobile so when we get tired of a location, we can move it. For now, we do < 10 day trips (vacation mode) since we have fixed home obligations (cats to take care of). We just got done doing a 4 day trip to Sedona where I put the "work remotely" to test. I didn't tell anyone at work I was somewhere else and for all intents and purposes, I was at my job normally. What they didn't see was me sitting in my chair lounging back with a peaceful creek waterfall in the background.
    Good for you! My former co-worker did/does just that in his 5th wheel. He'll text us a pic of him on a beach somewhere. Love it!
    Howard & Ellen

2018 RAM Rebel Hemi 27700 miles
    2018 Imagine 2600RB 10704 miles
    Equal-i-zer 14,000 hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No sense starting a new thread when this one is perfect: https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...er/3490662002/ It's no wonder camp sites are booking faster and good parks are harder to get into on weekends.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two phrases I hear often and not sure what the classification is to fit into one of them

Baby Boomer- Is this based on the year you are born or your age? I was born in 1963-so I'm 56
    Early Retirement-What is considered early retirement?

I am retiring this year, I spent 20 years on active duty military and 19 years with federal government that is 39 years of working. I am tired of getting up and going to work everyday, no other reason.

I choose to full time RV cause i want to see the good ole USA. I spent 20 years of my life protecting it and 19 years working for it so feel I'm entitled to enjoy it. I can always go back home.

I doubt most are starting to RV for financial reasons, like others have said it cost just as much to live full time on the road as it does a regular house. I think our work force has changed, not many stay with the same company for 20+ years and a lot of jobs can be done remotely. I hire people often and most are in there 30's and have already had 6-10 different jobs, so bouncing around for jobs is more common these days.

I also think people put more emphasis on staying in shape and they feel that getting out of their comfort zones will force them to do more exercise.

Risk takers- I think people are more risk takers these days and like adventure.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alot of good discussions on the reasons why. I will throw out that I don't agree with the comment that fuel prices are high. If you were around (and driving) awhile back, we were paying over $4 a gallon. Today, where Im at, the fuel prices are hovering around $2.70-$2.95. Nothing over $3 unless you go to the truck stop at the free way.

So, even though they are "higher" than maybe last year, I still consider sub $3, or even a little above $3 as not "high" gas prices.

Long term loans, booming economy, low unemployment, more disposable income (or perception of more disposable income), I believe, are major contributors.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldirtydawg View Post
    Two phrases I hear often and not sure what the classification is to fit into one of them

Baby Boomer- Is this based on the year you are born or your age? I was born in 1963-so I'm 56
    Early Retirement-What is considered early retirement?

I am retiring this year, I spent 20 years on active duty military and 19 years with federal government that is 39 years of working. I am tired of getting up and going to work everyday, no other reason.

I choose to full time RV cause i want to see the good ole USA. I spent 20 years of my life protecting it and 19 years working for it so feel I'm entitled to enjoy it. I can always go back home.

I doubt most are starting to RV for financial reasons, like others have said it cost just as much to live full time on the road as it does a regular house. I think our work force has changed, not many stay with the same company for 20+ years and a lot of jobs can be done remotely. I hire people often and most are in there 30's and have already had 6-10 different jobs, so bouncing around for jobs is more common these days.

I also think people put more emphasis on staying in shape and they feel that getting out of their comfort zones will force them to do more exercise.

Risk takers- I think people are more risk takers these days and like adventure.
    Brian, First, thank you for your service. After 39 years of a career, you do deserve to have some fun and adventure on your own schedule.
    Second, if your questions were rhetorical, just ignore the rest. I think I’ve read where the post war “baby boom” tapered off mid-late 50s, so maybe you’re a “cold war kid”. As for “early retirement”, isn’t that the carrot your parents and relatives held out in front of you during your formative years? That’s my story. After 32 years, the retirement incentive offered was too good to ignore and likely would never be offered again!
    Anyway, I believe the increased popularity is due to two things: RVs are more comfortable and (superficially) more pleasing these days (my millennial nephew mocked the “fit and finish”), and who doesn’t have fond memories of going camping as a child/adolescent/teen?
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    The term Baby Boomers most often refers to those born between 1946 – 1964 and BTW the peak year (most of us alive) was 2017. Were a dying off bunch Lots of campers cause it's fun and comfortable

Cheers,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early Retirement. That's when you retire and decide you don't like it. Any of you out there?

Bueller????? ANYONE??????

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast