User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cargo carrier for bike rack?

I’d like to carry two bike most times but want the option to carry four if necessary. I’m thinking of using a cargo carrier/rack, preferably one that folds up when not in use so I can use to carry other items like a grill or cooler when bikes aren’t necessary. Our 2018 290BH has the factory installed receiver hitch that’s rated for 300lbs, does anyone have any insight on using a cargo carrier for bikes? Any recommendations for a cargo rack?
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thought is it would be a lot of work to secure bikes to a cargo carrier. How will you anchor the tops of the bikes and keep them from tearing up the back of the RV? Especially four bikes. They will scrape each other up too. Look how something like a Swagman Dispatch holds the bikes.

Swagman makes hitch mount 4 bike racks, but not RV rated.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same rig...
    We use a cargo carrier for our bike transporting. Have had 3 bikes on it and a folding table all at once (don't have a need for 4 bikes). I built a custom folding post for the middle of the carrier, which gives you a place to secure the bikes to. You can fold the post down and then fold the carrier up. It all works fine.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 290BH
    2017 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab
    B & W Companion (T/O Ball Mount)
    SBGTF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m thinking of using some wheel carriers bolted to the base of the rack, a pair mounted towards the outside edge & the other two mounted towards the inside so I can place the wheels in the carriers & strap down. I could then squeeze the other bikes in between if necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishwater View Post
    I’m thinking of using some wheel carriers bolted to the base of the rack, a pair mounted towards the outside edge & the other two mounted towards the inside so I can place the wheels in the carriers & strap down. I could then squeeze the other bikes in between if necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
    I bought the same product with the same idea. Unfortunately, the cargo carrier will not fold up all the way with those things installed. They’re too big and hit the back wall of the camper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WTP-GC View Post
    I bought the same product with the same idea. Unfortunately, the cargo carrier will not fold up all the way with those things installed. They’re too big and hit the back wall of the camper.
    Well that's a bummer, maybe I'll just get the non folding one then. Just have to decide which is more important, the wheel holders or folding the carrier up.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this has been discussed before, but has anyone reinforced the hitch on a 303 and hauled a cricket golf cart on it