User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is RV'ing so Popular Nowadays ?????

I keep reading all over the internet how RV'ing is more popular than ever these days. This is certainly evident given how hard it is to find a campsite at popular destinations on long weekends or even regular weekends. At our local campgrounds a few years back there were even scalpers along side the highway selling campsites at a jacked up price on Friday evenings during the summer.

Any theories why the surge in popularity? I know better build quality and QA processes is not the reason. The average RV cost has not come down over the years. The cost of a 1 ton truck is through the roof. The cost of fuel is high, etc.
    RV's are so nice these days (42"LCD TV, recliners, 50 amp service, slide outs, solar technology, microwaves, etc) maybe more people find RV'ing more attractive that would normally thumb their nose at the idea.

Any thoughts? I was just curious.

Cheers.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, couldn't agree more. The cost of a one ton truck is through the roof, true. But what I see going up north to our camper almost every other weekend is the amount of 28-30+ foot bunk house style campers that fall into the so called 1/2 ton tow able range and are being towed by 1/2 ton pick ups and Suburbans.

So in general I would say the more abundant sizes of bunkhouse type campers, and the fact the 1/2 ton trucks are much more powerful than they were even 10 years ago.

Oh, and the chitlans can still probably play there games hooked up to the flat screen tv.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have absolutely no evidence to back up my opinion, but I will share it anyway.

Baby Boomers retiring. Even if they are not selling their homes they are still buying RV's and taking trips.

A decent economy, middle age family types are doing well enough they have some disposable income and afford a little camper to take their families to the great out doors for a few weekends.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Baby Boomers retiring. Even if they are not selling their homes they are still buying RV's and taking trips.
    Most likely retiring with a larger nest-egg than expected do to the very active markets in the last two years.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klenger View Post
    Most likely retiring with a larger nest-egg than expected do to the very active markets in the last two years.
    Or (and, like Dallas, I have no facts to back me up) a smaller nest egg than they anticipated, and find full time RV'ing a cheaper way to live and still be able to travel.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baby Boomers are coming of retirement age and they are looking for something to do. RVs are expensive, but they are cheaper than buying a second home in the lake or in the mountains.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention an increase in the numbers of full timers.

Adventure full timers - Sold there home bought an RV and are moving from place to place rarely visiting the same place twice.
    Park Model Full Timers - Typically folks that just love a place different than where they were and buy an RV in a park, they never go anywhere. Popular in FL and AZ.
    Alternative living full timers - They still work, just at jobs that allow them a lot of latitude as to where they do the work. Younger folks that home school their children.
    Alternative housing full timers - People that transfer often. Rather than go house or apartment shopping they just pack up their house and move it. Met quite a few military folks and folks moving into areas that have a housing shortage.
    Poor planners - Those folks that are buying 5 year + RV's for a song and plopping them down in a cheap RV spot, formerly known as trailer trash.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree baby boomers retiring is a huge market segment, but I see just as many young newlyweds with no children as well as young families camping on the weekends.
    I also think with technology (the internet) allowing people to work from home via the internet, many people are able to work from anywhere in the world as long as they have a reliable internet connection. I see more and more people traveling throughout North America while still holding down a FT permanent job with a large company.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to all the good points shared, we cannot overlook easy credit with the all important low monthly payment to add to all the other monthly payments on depreciating assets. A $20K camper for $199/month for 180 months where do I sign. Can you say upside down but who cares or even understands in many cases.

Years ago, 20% or more down with loans at 3-5 years with much tighter credit restrictions was the norm. Having and building equity in even depreciating assets was important and required in many instances. It is more about having everything right now and "renting" with enticing low monthly payments on most every type of depreciating asset. Campers/Rvs are just another example.

Things are evolving........sacrifice, ownership, equity......what is that ? In the short term we can have almost everything today but in the longer term have nothing.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Years ago home loans were also in double-digit interest and the average joe could save money in the bank because it was actually getting them a return because of said interest rates.

The popularity is a combination of many things. For me, it allows me to get out, get some fresh air, unplug and relax while still having most of the creature comforts of home. It allows me to do so with a place for my family to relax and stay comfortable when the weather is bad. It's a way to travel without sleeping in hotel beds, be stuck spending money on crap food at restaurants, etc.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast