User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What brand keypad for entry door? Still happy with yours?

Getting ready to purchase the RVlock compact for our entry door (just missed the 4th promo code).
    The question I have is it worth saving $70.00 and purchase another brand. I've been able to find a review for each brand in which someone was not happy, but the majority are happy. Rvlock is the popular one for sure. Your thoughts.

This is for convenience when we go to the pool etc.

Thanks
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours is the $49.99 model, we've had it 5 years. It's worked fine, you will need to change the batteries every other year or so. At 5 years our keypad is mostly unreadable so we've had to memorize the # positions, but it still works.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thumbs up RV Lock is barely better than factory

We're not really happy with ours...

The keys they give you are very poorly constructed.
    The plastic is very brittle and as a result I've broken both of mine and the replacement they sent me.
    This wasn't due to me using a lot of force either, I routinely spray WD40 in the keyholes and I was extra careful with the 2nd and 3rd keys, making sure to turn them slowly, to no avail.
    Luckily ours came with a remote keypad and a fob, so we just use those, however, using either of those items only locks the dead bolt.
    It doesn't lock the door handle itself.
    Another problem we've had with this unit is the little metal hinged door that keeps debris out of the key holes, it doesn't work anymore on the lower key hole, which is the dead bolt.
    We only installed this RVLock 4 or 5 months ago.
    I'd send it back but I'm not aware of anyone that makes anything better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RvLock Photos (1).JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	13980Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RvLock Photos (2).JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	13981Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RvLock Photos (3).JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	13982Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RvLock Photos (4).jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	13983
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that is disappointing, did you contact them for a replacement? I guess the warranty is no good.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    We're not really happy with ours...

The keys they give you are very poorly constructed.
    The plastic is very brittle and as a result I've broken both of mine and the replacement they sent me.
    This wasn't due to me using a lot of force either, I routinely spray WD40 in the keyholes and I was extra careful with the 2nd and 3rd keys, making sure to turn them slowly, to no avail.
    Luckily ours came with a remote keypad and a fob, so we just use those, however, using either of those items only locks the dead bolt.
    It doesn't lock the door handle itself.
    Another problem we've had with this unit is the little metal hinged door that keeps debris out of the key holes, it doesn't work anymore on the lower key hole, which is the dead bolt.
    We only installed this RVLock 4 or 5 months ago.
    I'd send it back but I'm not aware of anyone that makes anything better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RvLock Photos (1).JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	13980Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RvLock Photos (2).JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	13981Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RvLock Photos (3).JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	13982Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RvLock Photos (4).jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	13983
    We've never used the key in ours, only the key pad and we've never had a problem. However, when I was still working I had locksmith training from both Schlage and Kwikset and in both of those training's we were advised to never put a liquid (oil, WD-40, silicone, etc.) in a lockset.....that while it would be smoother at first, in short order it would cause us more problems than we could imagine. Only use powdered grahite in a lock set. Any liquid acts as a magnet for dust, dirt, anything blowing in the wind, etc.

Also, for the OP, make sure that you do not mount the keypad in the way of the grab handle when it's folded over the door (ready to go down the road). Don't ask me how I'd know that.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee94 View Post
    Wow that is disappointing, did you contact them for a replacement? I guess the warranty is no good.
    Matter of fact, I contacted them via email last night, just after posting my above comments and received their reply moments ago.

They are shipping me a brand new unit with keys!

So bravo RVLock!

It’s rare someone stands behind their product like that.

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great, glad they stood behind there product. Now if I can find a promo code I would order one.

I'll have to pick up some of that powered grahite for the house locks, thanks

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RVLock V4.0 - RIGHT Hand W/ Integrated Keypad for RV's. Have had it about 2-1/2 years, got it on a 1/2 price sale, and we're VERY happy with it. I've replaced the batteries once.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So-so experience with RVLock

I purchased a pair of RVLocks for another trailer. During order, I asked that they be keyed alike.

Locks worked great, so I purchased a set for my 350M.

Several issues:

1. In selling my other trailer, I found one of the locks failed. Tried changing batteries, but no luck. Appears corrosion got inside the control board.
    Tried contacting RVLock, but their tech support hours are limited. When I got through, I got music-on-hold and never talked to a human.

Because I needed to get the lock fixed, I opted to purchase a new one (during the 4th sale). I requested the same key code, but was told it was
    not available any longer. Luckily, when it arrived, I could use the exterior part of my old lock (with the key cylinders) with the new interior part. Fixed.

2. The latch travel on RVLocks is slightly shorter than default factory locks-- when I installed them on my 350M, the doors would pop open when driving or if you
    pulled on the door. I ended up fabricating backing plates from the latch plate to move it out from the frame. Locks work fine after this modification.
    On my 350M, I have RVLocks on the storage compartment too. Unable to put one on the exterior TV area, as the lock is too thick and hits the TV.

Bottom line-- One of my locks failed after a year and RVLocks wasn't much help. You will have to make sure the locks fit the doors/frames to get a good latch.

I'm not sure there's anything better out there...

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee94 View Post
    Getting ready to purchase the RVlock compact for our entry door (just missed the 4th promo code).
    The question I have is it worth saving $70.00 and purchase another brand. I've been able to find a review for each brand in which someone was not happy, but the majority are happy. Rvlock is the popular one for sure. Your thoughts.

This is for convenience when we go to the pool etc.

Thanks
    Dennis
    Have had my RVlock V4.0 for three years. Used it on my Heartland Bighorn and swapped over to my new Solitude. Absolutely no problems. Changed the battery annually. Don't know if it needed new batteries or not - just standard maintenance along with my TPMS batteries. Also had these on all of the Bighorn's hatches and it was really slick being able to open everything with one remote fob. Bad news is that they won't fit the cutouts in the Solitude slam hatches and I'm not about to start cutting holes for them, especially with the Keyed Alike system. Four locks in total and absolutely no problems - good product and good product support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast