Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Jim View Post
    Retired Civil Engineer. We built the targets for what Tucson Jim built.

Safe Travels.

Jim
    That about covers it...

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome stuff guys. If everything goes like it should, I should be self employed in a couple months. That will be a game changer, and IF all goes as planned I’d be able to retire in 3-5 years if I wanted to...wife says I won’t as she knows I always have to be doing something. But at least I’ll be able to actually camp and it work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paperboy, farmhand, Ski Resort, USAF then 32 Years as the Phone Man. Was offered an early retirement package and took it.

The pay is not as good, but expenses are less and the hours are unbeatable.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been the IT Director at a large Chevrolet Store for the last 20 years. I'm about 9 years away from retiring at this point (will be 62). Prior to coming here, I owned several businesses including a gun store and a variety retail store purchased from my parents when they retired. We got into camping back in 2012 with a Open Range TT. I was always the one who's idea of camping had a Hyatt sign out front. My wife grew up camping. I now wish we had bought one when my girls were young as we have really enjoyed the lifestyle. They are 24 and 20 now. Wasn't really in the cards at the time due to other financial obligations like the house note, car notes, etc. We sold the variety store in 2009 after my wife injured her back and could no longer work and paid off everything. Sold my Harley and bought a camper in 2012 and haven't looked back.
    John and Denise; Houma, LA
    2017 Momentum 395M
    2016 Chevrolet K3500 DRW Diesel

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a retired software developer. My wife was a materials manager for various companies that built equipment for the cable industry. Blessed to be retired with good health and still young enough to enjoy it.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long story! I enlisted in the Air Force when I was 17. Married young and started a family. DW took whatever job she could find where ever we were stationed including operating a forklift for the military commissary in Germany. When I was stationed in FL, she got a job working in the accounting dept of a construction company. Found construction accounting very challenging and pursued an accounting career. We ended up in the Las Vegas Valley when I was stationed at Nellis. From my perspective, Nellis sucked so I retired as an E7, MSgt. Audrey had a good job with a construction company and we decided to stay here. I got a job with the contractor operated public transportation system and stayed there till things got stupid. Our parent company kept getting sold and things were very unpredictable. I left that place and went to work for the local school district as a mechanic and eventually got back into supervision. I've got about 6 more years till I'll retire. By choice, not a necessity. Meanwhile, Audrey changed jobs and was hired by another construction company, has since become a part owner and VP of accounting. They do residential frame, trim, and concrete in both Las Vegas and Phoenix. She makes a sh-boatload more money than I do. I'm very proud of her and what she has accomplished! Now with the kids grown and gone, we are taking the time we didn't have earlier in our marriage to actually be a couple. Being 60'ish and very stable in our jobs, we kinda consider ourselves semi-retired and take a lot of short trips. We love the outdoors and can usually be found on the boat, riding the quads, exploring in the Jeep, or just camping somewhere. The Momentum we're fixin' to buy will just make all that easier...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lifeguard in a car wash, production chemical supervisor (polishes, strippers, cleaners), managed two trash collection companies, managed a municipal landfill (same stink different ends of the job). Consulted a couple of years in that same business.
    Hated making payments, so paid off house loan in 10 yrs, drove our vehicles until the wheels fell off, invested or put in CD's 25% of what we made since college. Dirt camped (tent) for years, then pulled an off road tent trailer behind my Jeep for a few. DW talked me into a 5th wheel 20 years ago...she only sissy camps now. Been retired for 3 yrs. yippee! And we're spending our daughters inheritance!
    We don't have a lot but it's enough to do what we want, & as Frank Zappa said "it's a little bit cheezy but its nicely displayed"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Studied geography and computer science then spent years developing mapping software. Husband is a mechanical engineer who worked for the Navy.

Now instead of making maps for Jim to build and Jim to blow up, I use them to travel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all started with an old lawnmower that my grandfather gave me when I was 9, because it didn’t work anymore. Took it all apart, put it all together and cut grass with that thing for 5 years. Then it was taking apart and putting together bicycles, boat motors and cars. First job was at a marina. Then came the fixer-upper houses. An engineering degree and a career in the automotive world. Engine and chassis development, future product planning, then managing that stuff. Raised four boys. Always had dogs. Stayed with the boating thing (the boat is bigger than the RV). I got to retire early when the automotive world went upside down in 2009. When Cate retired from teaching high school math a few years later, the “RV idea” was entirely out of the blue. Very much like our boating experience . . . except that we can do it in the winter in Florida . (too far to take the boat).

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 07-19-2018 at 02:58 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    It all started with an old lawnmower that my grandfather gave me when I was 9, because it didn’t work anymore. Took it all apart, put it all together and cut grass with that thing for 5 years. Then it was taking apart and putting together bicycles, boat motors and cars. First job was at a marina. Then came the fixer-upper houses. An engineering degree and a career in the automotive world. Engine and chassis development, future product planning, then managing that stuff. Raised four boys. Always had dogs. Stayed with the boating thing (the boat is bigger than the RV). I got to retire early when the automotive world went upside down in 2009. When Cate retired from teaching high school math a few years later, the “RV idea” was entirely out of the blue. Very much like our boating experience . . . except that we can do it in the winter in Florida . (too far to take the boat).

Rob
    Start early and you could float that boat all the way to Florida.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast