User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wdkerek View Post
    I truly appreciate the transparency Chief and Barnes. If your paths ever bring you through South Louisiana, I would be happy to take you through a private tour of the Maurepas swamps. My family has had a hidden gem back there (only accessible by boat) for 50 plus years!
    If I make a trip out your way I will gladly take you up on your kind offer!

In keeping with the thread subject, here's my story.
    I got married too young at 19 while managing the cosmetics dept at the local K-Mart. Got fired because, well...……. my recommendations for hair coloring and ability to stock feminine hygiene products were lacking.
    My Pop helped me get a job with an electrical contractor as a shop boy/ gofer. They specialized in traffic signals and highway lighting. I became a laborer. I dug ditches and packed pipe and pulled cable. I was good with equipment and became a Line Equipment operator, running backhoes, auger trucks, trenchers, cranes, you name it. Whenever anybody asked if I could do something I never said no. I learned how to drive a tractor/trailer rig in a 1950 White Mustang. 500+ cubic inch 6 cylinder gas engine, manual steering, 5 speed over 4 speed brownie, hauling loads of 70ft wood poles. I set 130' wood poles for stadium lighting. I'd never done it before but just did it. I studied electricity and code on my own and became a licensed electrician. I ran 2 man crews, me and a helper, and I ran 20+ guys on multi million dollar projects. I did a few stints inside but stayed outside for most of my career. I did public works electrical inspection for a sizable municipality south of Seattle but couldn't stand the boredom. Went back to real work. If you've driven in Washington you've probably driven through a traffic signal I built.

By the time I reached 55the rigors of heavy construction had taken a toll on my body. I landed a job with a great city in their Traffic Signal shop and became a master electrician there. I was enjoying mentoring a great group of guys and learning new things on the electronics end when I was diagnosed at the age of 62 with Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia, a close cousin to Multiple Myeloma but much more treatable. After chemo I knew I would never feel any better. And guys, I feel good!
    Wake up call received, I retired at 63 and am on the road right now. Headed home to our grandson turning 2, seeing my kids and planning our next adventure.

Oh yeah, wife #1 didn't work out. Wife #2 has been a keeper and a gem for these past 27 years. I have 3 daughters and a son. Life's been better to me than I knew then. I know it now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the paperboy, lawn mowing, house construction then the Marine Corps for 4 years 5 months and 18 days. Post Office and the Air Force Reserves (where I'm guessing Tucson Jim's products protected the aircraft I was a loadmaster on). Went to civil service and retired at 55 with 36 years military and 33 years civil service. So far am free from colon cancer 6 1/2 years and am dealing with forms of skin cancer. Wife worked for an insurance company and retired 2 years ago. We still have a house but go on a trip at least once a month.
    Lyle & Judy and Annie the Westie
    Retired (Government employee/USMC/USAFR, Ret) & Retired (insurance industry)
    2018 F-350 CC LB DRW 4X4 6.7 (3.55)(Reese 18k "puck system")
    2018 Solitude 310GK (5500 Onan Genset)
    2020 F-150 SCSB XLT 2.7L 10 speed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airrace View Post
    Did the paperboy, lawn mowing, house construction then the Marine Corps for 4 years 5 months and 18 days. Post Office and the Air Force Reserves (where I'm guessing Tucson Jim's products protected the aircraft I was a loadmaster on). Went to civil service and retired at 55 with 36 years military and 33 years civil service. So far am free from colon cancer 6 1/2 years and am dealing with forms of skin cancer. Wife worked for an insurance company and retired 2 years ago. We still have a house but go on a trip at least once a month.
    Thank you for your service Lyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figure out how many hours (and a lot of times HOW TO) fix broken piping/mechanical circuits in oil refineries and chemical plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started out throwing papers as a kid. When I was 16, I got a general labor job at the construction company my dad, who was a mechanic and heavy equipment operator, worked for. I did that in the summers through high school and college. Graduated with BS in Mechanical Engineering and met my lovely wife, who graduated a year later also as a Mechanical Engineer. My first job was with TVA in Alabama as a Test Engineer at a nuclear power plant under construction. Wife joined me there a year later after she graduated. After the Space Shuttle Challenger accident, NASA was looking to hire young engineers so I transferred over in 1986. My wife joined me two years later. We bought our house in 1986 and paid it off in 1999. We raised our 2 kids there and still live in that 3 br/2 bath house. We began investing when the stock market was below 3000 and have consistently done so. We began tent camping in the 80's and bought our Coleman popup camper in 1995. We camped in the popup ever since and had a lot of great times with our kids. Wife and I will be retiring at the end of this year. We love to travel - I've done 16 cruises, she's done 18. We've been to Europe multiple times. Like others have said, we are looking forward to the journeys as well as the destinations. We've really gotten a kick out of watching Marc and Trish on KYD and we're really looking forward to long trips to the west coast, Alaska and Canada.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Computer/Electrical engineer. Finally landed in a company where working remotely is norm and not the exception. Decided to get our 377 MBS now while our daughter still enjoys vacations with her parents. In about 6 years we will be free to spend a month or more anywhere the internet is good (assuming college doesn't dig too deep into my wallet).

Now only if we could drive it to Hawaii....

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    2017 Solitude 377MBS
    2018 Ram 2500 with diesel and air assist suspension.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456