User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have to be a disabled vet or 20+ career vet to get VA health care?

USN 4 years, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Do you have to be a disabled vet or 20+ career vet to get VA health care?

USN 4 years, KEN
    It depends on funding when you apply. At times eligibility was pretty open. Now I hear it’s more restricted.
    Here’s a link https://www.vets.gov/health-care/eligibility/

Best to call your local VA and make an appointment to meet with the “Eligibility Clerk” they can help you and advise you.

Once you are in the system you are in. You just need to visit your VA doctor once a year to keep it active.

Jerry
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I signed up they would do an assessment then depending on your eligibility you will have a co-pay.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    It depends on funding when you apply. At times eligibility was pretty open. Now I hear it’s more restricted.

Best to call your local VA and make an appointment to meet with the “Eligibility Clerk” they can help you and advise you.

Once you are in the system you are in. You just need to visit your VA doctor once a year to keep it active.

Jerry
    To add to Jerry's good advice, I'd also suggest visiting with a VSO - Veteran Service Officer - first. They will go out of their way to get a vet qualified where some government employees just process the applications.

There are a number of VSO's - DAV, Legion, VFW, WW, you name it. Most of them have an office in the same building with my local VA clinic. Some of them take weeks to get an appointment so try several before committing to one.

There is also the vetsbenefits.net forum. The forum software and appearance is a little funky, but there are a bunch of current and retired VSO's and VA employees on there and they know their stuff. Lots of support, too, for specific disabilities.

My experience with VA disability ratings is you have to earn them twice. Once when you serve and again when you submit the paperwork.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTX View Post
    To add to Jerry's good advice, I'd also suggest visiting with a VSO - Veteran Service Officer - first. They will go out of their way to get a vet qualified where some government employees just process the applications.

There are a number of VSO's - DAV, Legion, VFW, WW, you name it. Most of them have an office in the same building with my local VA clinic. Some of them take weeks to get an appointment so try several before committing to one.

There is also the vetsbenefits.net forum. The forum software and appearance is a little funky, but there are a bunch of current and retired VSO's and VA employees on there and they know their stuff. Lots of support, too, for specific disabilities.

My experience with VA disability ratings is you have to earn them twice. Once when you serve and again when you submit the paperwork.
    Isn't that the truth, I think I went through more medical exam's than i did when I was getting to basic training. Yes any of the group's John mentioned are great. They will do their very best to get you everything you deserve.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thing about the VA is that in most cases, a disability has to be service connected. I didn't know it, but there is a whole list of things that are presumptively considered to be service connected if a vet served in RVN or a couple of other places. Some of these conditions are things that many of us old guys get, anyhow. I had no idea I could receive compensation and healthcare until I stumbled upon the information online. The VA doesn't advertise this stuff. When I talked to a VSO, they suggested I check for things I didn't even know I had.

There are no freebies with the VA. They will check and if you don't qualify they won't give it to you. BUT, if you don't apply you - and your family - won't get anything except a flag when you die.

In all fairness to the VA, they handled my disability application pretty promptly. The VSO submitted my application (they had my power of attorney). Four months later they scheduled me for a physical and two months later I received an award letter. I'm sure not every application is handled as quickly, but I really can't complain about how they treated me. Two months (and counting) to see a doctor does seem a little excessive, though.
    John and Jean
    Springer Spaniel furkids Mea and (the late) Molly
    Blogs - BataanMissing.com - AirSafety.info
    2017 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SB, Andersen Ultimate Hitch.
    2018 Reflection 337RLS fifth wheel.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my scheduled visits it is set 6 month apart. I time it with going to Florida and going back home. If I need to see my doctor before my appointment I use secure messaging to let my doctor know and she can get me in earlier. My last doctor before he moved gave me his personal cell phone# if I needed to reach him. Wish I had him back.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jerry
    maybe it has changed, but I haven't seen a VA doc since 2014. still gtg. but of course, everyone's situation is different.

"Zee"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jerry
    maybe it has changed, but I haven't seen a VA doc since 2014. still gtg. but of course, everyone's situation is different.

"Zee"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stopped shopping at Lowes when they insisted that if I wanted my military discount I had to set up an account (not a charge card) using my phone number so they could track my purchases. HD on the other hand, just does it when I show them my retired ID, they record nothing. Like a lot of states, here in CA you can get your driver's license to show your status as a vet if you're not retired, and HD honors that, at least where I live.
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    Ford F350 CC, SB, SRW 4X4 with the 6.7 L diesel
    Pull Rite 18K superglide

James and his more or less faithful sidekick, Indy the Rescue Dog

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast